What can you do to up your MPG

enodreven

Slower driving does make a big difference, but there are practicalities to consider. On a busy, fast-moving motorway, 50 can seem very slow and add to the frustration of drivers who have to overtake. I tried this recently and the worst aspect was the many wagons who wanted to travel at, say, 60, getting right up my back end then sitting there until they could overtake. At best, this was irritating, but it was also quite scary.

I found that sitting at around 55 was a good compromise, in that fuel consumption was very good, but also there were quite a number of vehicles plodding along at this speed (wagons, caravanners, motorhomes, etc) so the inside lane moved along together as one and there was less need for continual overtaking.

Of course, each road will be different; the point is that whilst maximising fuel consumption is very important, general traffic flow will have a bearing.

Shaun

Slightly different perspective. I set a fuel budget of £x per annum. I break it down over the year on a month by month basis, reflecting when I expect to have the bigger bills eg my main holiday month.

This ensures I do not overspend and if I want to continue using my van, I have to economise when driving, make necessary trips only, or walk more.

Since I started this approach a couple of years ago, my fuel bills have stayed the same but the mileage I do has dropped by a third. My enjoyment from my motorhome has stayed the same. We still get out and about as much as we did, we are just wiser in our use of fuel.

I remember a letter in a motorhome mag many years ago, when the universe was young and petrol engines were "normal," but diesel fuel was cheaper than petrol.

A reader wanted to know whether taking out his perfectly serviceable petrol engine and replacing it with a "used" diesel one would be worth doing.

The editor (MAY have been the sainted John Hunt, it's his style) suggested with a completely straight face that the reader would achieve the same effect (slower speed, less acceleration, better mpg) much more cheaply if he just put a block of wood under the accelerator pedal.

Let's face it, travel costs. Travelling quicker costs more. Carrying more stuff costs more.

On every trip as motorhomers we're trading off fuel economy for the convenience (and enjoyment!) of the van (as compared, say, to going by car). So the simplest way to save fuel is to keep the driver's door locked.

BUT WHO WANTS TO DO THAT?

Tony

(Not been able to log on for days .... :-(

There was a programme on (I think) Channel 4 not long ago. It was cars not motorhomes but I guess the same means to an end. They tried various petrol-saving methods. I can't remember the exact amount saved now but:

Driving and use of gears came top for saving fuel

Then others followed: All worked but to a much lesser degree.

There were some magnet things that you put in your engine at £6.99 a pair.

There was using that extra premium type fuel, (helped a little bit) but not much

Tyres at correct pressure came quite high up

Can I just say how pleased I am to see this thread. Having been on another site I was beginning to think that I was the only person with a motor home who has to think about financial implications. I purchased my home less than six months ago and it is a life saver for me to get away from a not-too-good situation at home as a carer to two people ... I was becoming depressed that I may not be able to keep the van running, but this thread makes me realise I am not alone in my struggles and attempts to cut back. Thanks everybody.

Archived