Motorhome friendly garages etc

fred22

I have searched the forum but cannot find any lists of garages and other establishments which are motorhome friendly. Some members seem happy to publicise bad service but I cannot find any listing good service.

The kind of thing I have in mind are a list of establishments where the mechanics and fitters don't take large breaths in through their teeth when they see you pull up.

Is there some "Rule of The Forum" which prevents us doing this or has it already been done and I can't find it.

The reason I ask is because we have just come back from a trip down in the London area where we had to buy a new battery(brilliant service from Halfords) and the tailpipe also fell off the exhaust.

A large exhaust and battery outlet (not a national one) didn't want to know because, although they advertised as servicing light vans, they could not get my motorhome on the ramp. My suggestion it could be done by a fitter lying on the floor was blanked.

How easy it would have been to refer to a list made by fellow motorhome owners in there local areas, you could just look up the region you are going to tour in and print off the relevant details

If we can do this, can we keep it as a simple list with names and addresses , telephone numbers and the services offered and no hi jacking of the list by silly comments.

Firstly perhaps can the moderators let us know if there are any reasons we cannot do this, or if it has been done before, where is it.

The MMM mag publishes a little book with all this info and includes it with the mag from time to time ( annually ?) so probably a lot of people on the forum have the info to hand.

Last one was dated Jan 2008.

It's called " A to Z Services Directory"

Where abouts are you based. I found the best thing to do is phone up the relevant garage for your base vehicle and ask if they service motorhomes. I did this recently for my ford based motorhome, the garage down the road, although they serviced transits weren't able to take a motorhome on their ramps. One further away, where I get my car serviced did. Furrows of Oswestry(helped me out with warranty issue) if your in the vicinity for the base vehicle. If it's for the motorhome bit and out of warranty(supplying dealer or approved by maker/own choice for that, sorry if of no help.

regards

Karen

It might be worth asking your local council, health Authority etc.

Reason being that they have large vehicles that require service, dust carts to ambulances, and some are done in house, but accept external work to bolster finances (public purse and all that)

Or

The services are sub contracted to local garages that can cater for those types of vehicle.

Rgds

Hi, the point of my posting seems to be misunderstood.

I am not trying to find garages in my own locality that will deal with motorhomes but to have available for reference, establishments in other parts of the country that can. Say, for example, you intended to spend a few weeks in Yorkshire, before you left home you could search the forum for garages and other establishments in the Yorkshire area that other members had listed, print them off and then,if you do get problems, you are not completely in the dark as where to go for help.

This question arose because of problems I have recently had with my exhaust whilst in the London area and realised it is no good going to a Mercedes Sprinter dealer, because my motorhome does not use a standard Sprinter exaust.

fred22 - 2008-05-31 11:22 PM

Hi, the point of my posting seems to be misunderstood.

I am not trying to find garages in my own locality that will deal with motorhomes but to have available for reference, establishments in other parts of the country that can. Say, for example, you intended to spend a few weeks in Yorkshire, before you left home you could search the forum for garages and other establishments in the Yorkshire area that other members had listed, print them off and then,if you do get problems, you are not completely in the dark as where to go for help.

This question arose because of problems I have recently had with my exhaust whilst in the London area and realised it is no good going to a Mercedes Sprinter dealer, because my motorhome does not use a standard Sprinter exaust.

Hi Fred22

I understood what you required ( see my post above ) and suggest you try obtaining a back issue ( January 2008 ) of MMM.

The back issuue tel number at MMM is 01778 391180.

Have a word with them to make sure the book is still available.

:-|

Digressing slightly, we had our motorhome serviced at our usual garage, which also does commercial vehicles, and it cost less than half what was asked by the company that supplied us with the MH. We also went to the local motorhome place for our habitation check, over £100 less.

it pays to shop around!

Try logging on to "BT Fleet" there are BT garages all over the country, they can MOT service and repair any vehicle and I mean any size vehicle. The staff are all salaried and you won't find them trying to find work if you understand me. They will also do the same for cars etc. I wouldn't use anyone else to look after my vehicle(s).

Archived