Cruise Control

kelly58

After our last trip to France I thought it would be a good idea to have CC fitted.We have a new Peugeot base Motorhome 18 months old and was wondering if it would be better to have a 3rd party system fitted or go to Peugeot Dealers , if 3rd party unit was fitted would it invalidate the warranty ? and what it would roughly cost ?

Hi Kelvyn, CC is probably the best addition you can make to your motorhome (IMHO :D ). There is no reason why a third party fitted CC should have any effect on your warranty but the only people who can say this for definite is your supplying dealer so check with them before going ahead. For a long time main dealers have said retro fitting of the manufacturers system is not possible, why? I don't know but it could be worth asking your local Peugeot agent.

As for costs of third party system it depends on your particular model. Is it the latest shape Boxer or the last generation? If its the last generation then a vacuum servo system will do the job fine, think in mid £300s, if its the latest generation then I'm afraid it has to be the fully electronic variant which sadly is about £100 dearer.

Feel free to call me for further information.

Other suppliers and installers are available :D .

D.

Kelvyn - Dave fitted our cruise control (and a very good price it was too), and we can confirm that it is an excellent piece of kit, my hubby loves playing with it and on our latest foray into Europe found the long distance driving much more comfortable (no leg/hip ache) as well as allowing him to concentrate more on the traffic etc without having to be conscious of what speed he was doing as well as it was keeping him under the specific road limits.

I would imaging if Peugeot can do a retrofit it would not be a cheap option, I hate to think what the hourly labour rate would be ... not that I'm saying Dave is cheap though ... you understand what I mean don't you!!!! :D

And as a bonus we got to see the lovely Dexter!!! :->

The cost of retro fitting the Peugeot own CC will depend on which model your 'van is. If its the latest generation then the only parts required will be the stalk and possibly the steering column surround. If its the last generation then the controls are part of the steering wheel and so that would need replacing. After that it should be relatively simple for the Peugeot technician to set it up as it should already be in the engine management system and only require enabling if they can do it (or if they know how ;-) ). For the latest modle the stalk shouldn't be overly expensive (but you never know ;-) ). for the last generation a replacement steering wheel could be several hundred pounds :-( .

D.

ROON - 2008-06-07 10:15 AM

Have there been any figures quoted as to how much mileage it takes to get back your investment, or some such figure, please?

I doubt if you would ever recover your cost!

I only use ours, now, on long motorway type journeys, because with the high cost of diesel, my normal driving technique, provides better fuel consumption.

I was very pleased with Daves installation, but only had it fitted for convenience. It does provide a more relaxed driving experience, but unless your own normal driving uses a "heavy right foot", better enconomy won't be achieved.

Mike Hol.

Archived