awnings for motorhome

booboo

hi everybody,this is quite a tricky question i think,ive been considering purchasing one off these light weight type full awnings appose to carrying my safari room i was given by a friend as i would only use it a handfull of times each year and the safari rooms to heavy and large,anyway last weekend on a site i got talking to very nice couple with a hymer and were quite helpful with advice and the like and they told me about a awning thats like these movelite style awnings that the top off the awning you fit along the small channel that runs along the front of your fiamma roll out canopy and then wind your fiamma back in and thats the awning attached to the van basically ,well the top anyway.ive looked online but cant seem to find anything like that,the couple that told me about them couldnt remember the name of it as they had saw it on somebody elses van.any help would be appreciated. THANKS KEITH

hi roon ,thanks for your reply,yeah ive looked at the driveaway awnings but i dont think thats what im looking for they dont have the attachment i was told about,ill keep trying though . thanks roon. keith

Hi Keith

Further to suggestions made about source of motorhome awnings, I would like to suggest eBay.

Searches for free standing awning/drive away awning/motorhome awning/camper awning. This will give you a look at the range of awnings available, most of them being new from regular dealers.

Best of Luck

Joyce

The good thing about buying from Towsure is that you can take it back if you don't like it - as I did with the porch awning I bought from them.

Although it was a doddle to erect, and fitted the purpose admirably, I realised what I really needed was a drive-away awning.

They gave me a no-quibble refund.

Hi Keith

I think the awning that you are interested in is called the SunnCamp Ultima 390 (3 sections) or 260 (2 sections). I think they also do a porch awning. If you put SunnCamp Ultima in Google it will bring up several sales outlets.

I saw one on a site in France last weekend and it looked very useful and sturdy. These motorhomers were really thrilled with it and had used it several times. The owner said he thought that I could manage to put one up on my own (I would only need the two section one) but I will have to check if the Omnistor awning has the slot in the same position. The idea is that you wind out the canopy awning, thread the roof cord through and then wind it back to close it. Just the pegging out then!

Hope this helps

Patricia

hi i have a 390 , i bought mine from east coast leisure at an outdoor show ,but they have stopped doing shows now due to the cost but you can buy there awnnings off them on line if you wish

hi everybody ,put sunn camp 390 into google and it brought a few outlets selling them the only thing is its brought it up as caravan awnings is it they fit both or am i just being stupid,also does the awning have to be the same length as the roll out fiamma or can the awning be shorter than the roll out canopy. sorry to drag this post out a bit. cheers KEITH

Seems to fit caravan and motorhome. The m/home I saw it on was an Auto-Trail I think and the cord actually overhung the roll-out length so I don't think this is too critical. Having said that you would want it to be as near as possible to the length otherwise I suspect rain and wind could get in.

Guest JudgeMental

I have a Khyam excelsior awning although have not used with new van as I need to get a gutter rail.....any one any ideas?

It is excellent and easy to erect compared with the frame style models I have had in the past.

de1cb390bb669d25a20155f567b1c31f.jpg.070118bb958576b22b90a93e26463629.jpg

I've got a kyham classic for my high top westfalia nugget, last year i bought the "pole and clamp" device to attach it to the rain gutter but the gutter was too shallow and i ended up attaching it to the rear, top- hinged door (luckily no rain that holiday 'cos it was hardly watertight) This year I fitted a fiamma roll-out awning and was delighted to find out that they have a built in awning channel in the leading edge. This means with an adaptor called a kador strip you can attach the kyham to the fiamma awning box. The kador has a 4mm cord on one edge for the awning box and a 6mm cord on the other edge for the kyham.

You can get the kadors from:

www.driveway-awnings.co.uk

Guest JudgeMental

thanks for that, but another reason I wanted to fit a rain gutter above door is we are sick of getting drenched....... As van a high top, water gathers in a large pool just above door - then any weight on double step and your are drenched!

so a fixed rail would suit two purposes - I would hope to be able to use adhesive only....

• 2 weeks later...
Just managed to buy an Ultima 260 on Ebay at a very good price. Coming Tuesday - can't wait to try it. Just hope I can manage to put it up on my own! Incidentally there are several for sale on there and the bidding is very fast so they seem to be very popular.

Hi all

have been desperately searching for a second hand Kyham Excelsior so if anyone has one to sell can you give us a wee message. Live in Northern Ireland so none of the fantastic big camping shops you have in England. We use a utility tent as a shed while we are away but a drive away awning would be lovely.

Thanks

Phantom

• 1 month later...

hi there

I've just joined the forum to look for help on fitting a fiamma awning to a westy high-top and found your post.

Did you fit the fiamma to the wall of the high-top, or to the gutter using gutter brackets. I've tried to fit to the gutter using gutter brackets, but the gutter is full of sealant. Although i've removed a section of the sealant, the flange of the high-roof sitting in the gutter will not allow enough depth for the bracket.

If you fitted to the high roof, did you use reinforcing plates on the interior of the roof? did you have to remove the interior panels to fit it?

be grateful for any advice!

Thanks.

Fiona

1990 Westfalia Atlantic 1.6 TD

We have a Movelite XL driveaway awning, and despite being a lightweight, fair weather only awning, it has withstood howling gales and heavy snow! It is secured either by straps across the top of the M/home and anchored on the other side, or by utilising an adapter strip in the Fiamma channel. The first option is ok once you have managed to hurl the

straps over,( not easy in a high wind, you need a soft weight on the end, I used my slipper!). The second option is fine but it does mean that the tunnel sides leave a gap the depth of the Fiamma casing. As a drive away it works well, however the tricky bit is to return the M/home to it's original position alongside the awning, it can be done by marking the wheel positions with pegs and string before moving off. :-D

Archived