Adhesive advice please

The screen on my Laika 200i A-class was replaced 4 years ago. The plastic/abs decrotive panel covering the top of the screen became loose on our way to Greece and we had to use duct-tape to secure it, on the way back we decided to remove the trim before it got blown away on the Italian motorway. It seemed to have been stuck on using some sort of black mastic, which stuck to the bodywork ok but not very successfully to the trim. I know silicone is not suitable as it is not an adhesive, can any one advise me what I should use?

Thank you.

Hi Charles,

I always swear by Sikaflex 221, its an adhesive sealant. Sikaflex make loads of different sealants and adhesive sealants, giving them different numbers. So when you purchase, make sure you get the 221 which is adhesive, its available in black and white for around £10 per tube.

I used it to stick the solar panel and various brackets to mount a satellite dish on the roof, its been there for 5 years now - and they're still there :-D

Regards Terry

Charles,

Sorry, but on this occasion I really must disagree with Terry. Sikaflex is a very permanent adhesive, whereas the trim you refer to must be easily removable to fit a fresh windscreen if your existing one breaks. The best place to go to solve the problem is any auto windscreen repairer.

Mel E

====

Hi

I have a Laika 100 ECO VIP 2001/02 (A class)and have often wondered how the screen would be changed if the worse were to happen. Like yours it appears to be bonded in place, with fibre glass panels around it. Later models seem to have a conventional rubber seal.

As a matter of interest was the screen replacement an easy task for the fitters and did you locate a screen readily or was there a long wait for an Italian delivery ?

I bet it wasn't a cheap affair either (but no doubt insurance covered)

Nick

Nick,

The rubber strip is simply a weather seal - nothing more. The windscreen is bonded to the GRP body.

I had a Mobilvetta A-Class which suffered a cracked screen after just 3 weeks. Ordering the screen through the UK importer, I was quoted around 8 weeks, so I ordered it from the nearest French dealer (Une Par-brise) and had it within 10 days.

Removing the old screen was not too difficult. The fitter's biggest problem was cleaning up the old bonding agent back to the GRP. About 2 years' later the rubber strip came loose on a French Autoroute, but AutoGlass fixed it for free when I got home.

INSURANCE

If you have an A-Class, do not assume that insurance will cover your windscreen. Most policies have an upper limit which can be as low as £1,500 - not nearly enough for most A-Class screens.

Mel E

====

Archived