Mossies in France?

Knaus

Hi

My neighbour has just returned from Sarlat. She says that the mossies are pretty bad there at the moment.

We are off in 3 weeks and travelling down to Argeles, anyone got any opinion on what they will be like by then.

Hello, well basing it on the fact that they are present now and that they are there when we visit that area late July, I think the chances of you encountering them are pretty high.

They don't bother with me but my wife suffers with the little critters. She uses Avon Skin So Soft and we always have a candle or 3 lit when around the van in the evening and that keeps the worst away.

Martyn

Guest JudgeMental

Just back from Southern Brittany and they are a real problem there as well.

I was surprised at this time of year. luckily had all the stuff in van, plug in thingy and spray etc......

everyone on site was getting bitten alive

once bitten twice shy lol

Guest JudgeMental
Knaus - 2008-06-02 3:00 PM

Hi

Thanks for cheering us up. We avoid Scotland at this time of year because of them.

Do you know if those citrus candles work or those burning coil thingies.

its not that bad, as long as you spray yourself and use plug in deterrent etc... coils and candles are fine but I personally would not use in motorhome more suitable for outdoor.

was just surprised that they were around in May. I only had a couple of bites on my leg when I forgot to use spray and went for a walk on beach.....

I have been up in swedish Lapland in the summer and the air can be thick with swarms of them - so not really comparable. I thought Scotland was renowned for its midges.

the thing is they are easy enough to spot and kill, as they buzz and are slow.....

we put the plug in deterrent in with a fresh tablet before we go out for the evening and give the van a liberal spray with aerosol deterrent and then you are fine as long as you keep blinds closed *-)

My guess would be that they be bad even if the weather dries up. It is very flat on the coastal plain and there is a lot of standing water in the drainage ditches.

From experience, Take some ear plugs. Don't worry about the mossies, you will not be able to sleep because of the frogs singing.

Rgds

Just to add, if you are parking up on the sea front, port area. The Town council have decided to move most of the parking for M/homes to Raco (Rocou ??)

Rgds

We haven't been to Argeles but in the coastal strip near Perpignan we haven't had much trouble at all with mossies. In the sixties apparently there were millions of them in the Languedoc Rousillon area but the area was sprayed with DDT and this makes it the best area to go to avoid mossies. Inland we're all fair game to them.

I use spray, drink tonic with quinine in it and from tomorrow won't be having any bananas for three weeks while we are in France. I heard on a radio programme that bananas make people irresistable to mossies.

Guest JudgeMental

The chap opposite to us had all the kit. he had as well as plug in tablet type the electric fly/mosquito trap - blue light type...

and the electric tennis racket type as well, when he came walking over with it I though O dear he is going to ask me to play! *-)

Googled 12 v mosquito deterrents and it came up with the "mosquito Teenage control and deterrent device" as fitted to some shops etc..... disgraceful in my opinion, and they wonder why children act up *-)

Archived