1st time buyers

William J

HELP. Think we (Just wife and I) fancy a motorhome. Where do we start? After reading many Motorhome magazines with various comments and opinions we are quite bewildered with the choices and makes available. At the end of the day we must make a decision. Can anyone give some guidance to a couple of Third Age people who know nothing about the fun that can be had with a motorhome but are willing to give it a go!

Max. length would probably be 20ft (access to our driveway is a bit tight.) We seem to favour coach-built models as we like a bit of space for us and the dog! Max. budget around £15k. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks. Bill and Vera Smith

It's a real problem, there are so many to choose from!

You have just got to go to one of the big shows and spend hours walking round and viewing them all.

Keep notes and take photos, ask the salespersons if there are any second hand ones like it in stock.

Have a look at all the photos on the websites, and finally, just choose one because you like the look of it!

Good luck,

Geoff

I'm sure there will be as many different views here are as there are members of the forum.

My own personal views are:-

Buy 2nd hand. Always.

Several reasons, including: letting someone else take the massive depreciation hit that comes with driving the beast out of the showroom for the first time; letting someone else sort out the teething problems which seem almost always to occur; letting someone else buy all the extras/bits & bobs that get added to/added into most motorhomes; keeping comparitivelya lot more money in the bnank/on deposit/invested, in order to pay the MH fuel/tax/servicing bills.

If there's two of you, buy one that says "sleeps up to 4".

seems to me that MH's are rather like tents: if you're going to live in the damn thing for chunks of time, you need more space than just a two-berth.

If going for an older 2nd hand MH (and I guess at £15k tops that's what you are looking at), I'd suggest deisel, with or without turbo, but always with power steering.

These things drink a lot of fuel, and an older petrol van base will probably cost you a lot more in fuel costs than you may have estimated.

They are also damn heavy, and personally I really wouldn't want to repeat my experiences of driving one for any distance on windy roads/slow speeed manouvreing without power steering.

IMHO you get more for your money by buying a coachbuilt (rather than a panel van conversion, or an A-class).....and being on a mass-produced van chassis/running gear, spares and servicing are no more expensive generally.

Older MH's are hugely simpler to service & maintain from a mechanical/engine point of view, if you are a handy home mechanic.

The engine/running gear of our own1992 Peugeot J5 based coachbuilt is an absolute doddle to work on, it's purely mechanical, with no chips or CPU's or other computer nonsense; and totally reliable. At 90k miles it's really only just run-in.

Don't be put off at all by high mileages, so long as the vehicle has been well maintained......as vans these things were designed to do starship mileages by uncaring whitevan man.

Biggest thing to look for IMHO is a full service history and very regular oil changes (particularly important on deisel engines because of their high compression).

If buying secondhand always test drive the vehicle for a fair distance, using all gears; then check for any oil-burning once the engine is hot (a puff of light grey smoke on startup is quite normal for a deisel, but you shouldn't be seeing any smoke, particulalry dark smoke, once the enging is up and running).

Others will probably disagree with a lot of the above, but they are my honest thoughts......hope they may help a little!

In the end, just get one and damn well enjoy it!!!

:-D :-D

Bill,

This really is far too large a question to answer sensibly within the scope of a forum entry. So I have sent you by email a much more detailed description of how to choose.

Another avenue to explore is that MMM includes a supplement about once a year covering this subject with nice colour photos, etc. The Back Issues Dept may be able to help you with a back copy of this.

Mel E

====

After owning all sorts over the years I settled in the end for an Autosleeper Legend. ( I am 76 so have been through a few and made a few cock-ups ) Monocoque fibre glass body no coach built joints to leak, smooth aerodinamic shape, no wood frames to rot, on a Ford Transit rear wheel drive, engine the proper way around, available in automatic. Look for a layout that you can live with, that is one of the things that you can't change. Fiats are not popular. Have a good read through all the posts on here. Best of luck!

Our own decision this time around was opposite in just about every way to my good friend BGD's, which just goes to show what a personal choice this is for each of us.

One important question at the outset is: Will this be the only, or main, vehicle for one or both of you? And if so, how much will it have do as a "car?" Because that would tend to point you towards a smaller vehicle, probably a panel-van conversion (which can still be surprisingly well-equipped these days). If it's only going to be used as a holiday vehicle, then I agree with other comments that a coachbuilt makes more sense.

After that, and within your maximum length (and have you checked your driving licence for weight restrictions?) it's all about what layout will suit you, and which base vehicle you prefer to drive (assuming you can actually buy your chosen layout on something other than a Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen!).

Finally, different converters have different quality/price levels.

Dead easy, isn't it?

But whatever you buy, enjoy it!

Tony

One thing for sure, you are entering a great society of like minded people who are very helpful with practical advice so never be afraid to ask, We have had 3 vans now and the biggest challenge is "what exactly suits us", you need to consider your needs and wants then stick fairly rigidly to which van gives you all (or most) of these. Look at loads of showrooms and models, go to shows and get a feel for what you like/wnat/need, then the choice is easy peasy....yeah!!!! like hell is it?

Might be a good idea to hire one before buying just to give yourselves an idea of your requirements.

As for size - that relates to fuel consumption - which will be increasingly important to a lot of people in the future ( if not already ).

Good luck with the hunt !

:-|

Hi from another newbie to the forum.

We've just paid the deposit on our new van and my advice would be go out to your local dealers (and any motorhome shows you can get to) and look at as many as possible. That way you'll see all the different styles and will gradually form a really clear idea about all the particular things that you want and need.

Having said this, we were on the verge of going with what we thought was a practical option and a bit of a compromise when we set foot inside something that was very different from all the things we'd THOUGHT we needed. In a flash, we realised a) we'd been wrong about a lot of the things we thought we needed and b) it was love at first sight! So the gut feelings should come into it too. Good luck and enjoy the search!

liz

Guest JudgeMental

My advice would try and get as new a chassis as possible, the latest Ford, Fiat, Renault (all from late 2006 onwards) are a marked improvement on their predecessors.

LHD imports offer the best value for money

Get a permanent bed model. far more convenient and comfortable. as decent ones have proper mattresses and beech slat frames.

By example ours has two permanent king size beds which leaves the lounge/ kitchen area free....... so both beds can be occupied and lounge/kitchen areas can be used at the same time.

A rear garage model offers a wealth of storage - and you will be surprised at the amount of stuff you need and accumulate. It also leaves the camper interior free of clutter.

I also prefer models where the front seats turn to become part of lounge. I consider the alternative layout where these seats are not utilised a waste of available space.

This just proves how tough a decision like this is, Judge Mental and I obviously do not agree about fixed beds, in my view they take up unnecessary space permanently (unless you have a three bedroom four storey luxury model like he does), so again you need to consider ALL options and what suits best.

Good luck, the search is as good as the find.

Guest JudgeMental
Uriah Heep - 2008-06-04 3:20 PM

This just proves how tough a decision like this is, Judge Mental and I obviously do not agree about fixed beds, in my view they take up unnecessary space permanently (unless you have a three bedroom four storey luxury model like he does), so again you need to consider ALL options and what suits best.Good luck, the search is as good as the find.

And thats why I did not add my OPINION to your thread, as you stipulated a rear lounge - which I find old fashioned ( My grandmother likes them) and hopelessly uncomfortable. So, please do not attempt to stifle debate....

I have been at this for more the 20 years and have picked up a little knowledge on the subject

incidentally my model is only 6.6 M long 8-)

Welcome to Motorhoming

Just a few thoughts on selecting a motorhome for a beginner.

Perform the usual plus and minus lists for all aspects of the vehicle.

Read, read and visit showrooms. If possible talk to owners who usually will be honest and frank about their motorhome.

I do agree with sailor girl that to fall in love with the motorhome is a very good idea.

We now have our second motorhome, the first one was thirteen years old when we bought it - we had been seriously looking for six years! It was love at first sight. We kept it for six years and the major reason for parting with it - a Karman Gypsy - was that I was unable to drive it and being oldies that was not a good situation to be in.

Another important consideration is vehicle size. The Gypsy and our new Wingamm are both very compact and we have been approached many times with the remark that "I wish we had bought something smaller ours is too big . We don't use it that much."

We have a very compact lovely motorhome, but we have made a number of compromises. Nothing is perfect, Unfortunately we do not have Dr Who's Tardis.

Good hunting

Joyce

As you are complete newcomers I allways recomend hiring a van for a holiday and then you will find out if you like motohoming and get an idea of what layout you might like, as you will of read above some of us like fixed beds for their extra lounging caperbility, others think of a bed only to be sleeped on and never used otherwise, I always recommend a holiday to Oz or NZ, but you could hire here.

Failing that maybe buying a cheap van so if it doesn't meet your needs or you don't find motorhoming to your liking you can sell on without losing to much.

Hi WilliamJ as you can see by the comments above choosing a motorhome is not only a very personal thing but extremely complicated. So take your time, don't rush into buying something that may not be suitable. Looking at your budget and wanting a coachbuilt your choice is obviously going to be in the second hand market. As somebody on here as already said have a good look around visiting as many shows and dealers as possible and buy some of the magazines, this will give you a better idea of what you want from a motorhome. When you have narrowed it down to a particular layout, get into a few and play act everyday stuff that you would do in the van. i.e sit at the table and see if there is enough room for dinner, stand in the shower and mime your ablutions,if its an overcab get up in the bed and see if you find it bearable. You may feel a complete plonker doing all this but its far better than buying the wrong van and loosing shed loads of money.

Having no desire to critise any one else as (fortunately?) we are all different, may I suggest that with a restricted budget you are not going to be in a postion to purchase a motorhome with a fixed bed. Just the 'two of you' (+ dog) is similar to my wife and I (albeit we are without dog) and we find a rear 'L' shaped lounge ideal. Plent of spraulling room and a couple of minutes to make up the bed. We had an Elldis 'Wanderer' for 10 years are now run a 2006 Autohomes 150. Same model but 'newer'. End of the day though, it is your cash so you decide. Whatever you get use it & enjoy it and 'welcome to the clan!!!'

All I can add, sorry if not much help, is that I wish to goodness I had tried to climb up the ladder to the overhead bed, then to climb down it imagining that I first had to get out of the sleeping bag and that I was desperate for a wee.

Not sure whether I may have changed my mind slightly. :$

This is to say a big thank you to all you lovely people who replied to our enquiry regarding the purchase of our first motorhome. We have read, enjoyed reading and also having a good laugh at some of your responses. Now comes the serious part - after looking through many magazines until our eyes were watering we are going to have a look at a few!! next week. So hopefully we will get a clearer picture of what we do and do not need or expect to have after some touchy-feely sessions!!

Thank you all again for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Regards

Bill and Vera

Bill and Vera, my pieces of advice for when you start 'looking in the flesh' at the motrhomes are:

1) Take a pen and a big pad and make a note of everything you like about any particular models you're interested it, what the cost of each is, what comes with it, what you'll need to buy to make it right for you, etc, etc.

2) Take a digital camera with you and get snap happy taking photos of anything that takes your fancy, both inside and outside - it's very easy to confuse which van is which when trying to remember later, much easier if you've got a pictrre to relate it to.

3) Leave your wallet, credit cards, etc at home! That way you cannot sign on the dotted line and leave a deposit without having to go home first. This will give you some much needed thinking time, what may seem perfect at the dealers, may have drawback when you come to think of it again in neutral surroundings. if a dealer thinks you are really interested the chances are they would hold onto the vehicle for you until the following day to give you a chance to make your mind up. Do NOT let them push you into a decision there and then by making you feel you might lose the van, remember they need to sell you to you more than you need to buy from them.

William J - 2008-06-05 3:08 PM This is to say a big thank you to all you lovely people who replied to our enquiry regarding the purchase of our first motorhome. We have read, enjoyed reading and also having a good laugh at some of your responses. Now comes the serious part - after looking through many magazines until our eyes were watering we are going to have a look at a few!! next week. So hopefully we will get a clearer picture of what we do and do not need or expect to have after some touchy-feely sessions!! Thank you all again for your comments, they are much appreciated. Regards Bill and Vera

I'd just add that realistically, with a budget of £15,000, the magazines won't be that much help.  They review the new models, I'd expect models relevant to your budget to be well over 5 years old, which means many of the layouts available then won't quite equate to the layouts available now.  However, they will be generally similar, so you should be able to get a feel for what they might be like to occupy.

Next, I'd add that once vans get to around 6 years old any warranty against water ingress will have expired, so quality counts.  Do not buy on impulse, therefore, but check which makes have the best reputations for longevity, and then see what is available.

Sadly for Britain, the best offerings are German (Dethleffs, Burstner, Hymer, Kanus, Eura Mobil) or French (Rapido).  [Not intended as an exhaustive list]  You'll pay a bit more initially for these but it should pay off in the end as they should maintain that additional value as they age.

Next point is to absolutely insist, whether you buy privately or from a dealer, on a full damp check with a printed record before you agree to buy, and if there is any recorded ingress just look for another van.  Even the best makers have their "Friday" vans, and one that has never leaked is a better bet at any price than one that has been patched up.  Almost anything else that is defective can be replaced, but leaks spell trouble.

Final point, don't put all your cash into the van.  They are quite complex vehicles and things do go wrong, inevitably just after any warranty expires!  So, keep a good wodge in yer back pocket, just in case.  You probably won't need it, but if you do, and you don't have it, a van you can't use because of a fault you can't afford to fix is the most disappointing, expensive, and frustrating thing on earth!

Hope this helps.

Archived