Battery Charger

whbs

Hello all. I bought a low wattage little battery charger which, according to the instructions, can be left permanently attached to the car (motorhome) battery. It keeps it trickle charged so it's always fresh - ideal if one isn't using the van for a while.

It's a bit of a faff to connect it with the spring clips to the battery and have the lead out from under the bonnet, through the van window and plugged into the mains.

Does anyone know if it is feasible to take off the battery clips and connect a 'cigar lighter' plug and instead of connecting it directly to the battery, plug it into the cigar lighter? Will this charge the battery?

Thanks in anticipation. - Bill.

I had one of these low amp chargers which was left attached to the car, in the garage, whilst we were away for the winter in the 'van.

On our return the battery had a cell failure and the charger had overheated to the point of melting the case before it fused.

I now have a small 1 amp charger which I attach via a time switch which runs the charger for 1 hour a day (sufficient to keep the battery charged even with the alarm on).

Wow! Salutary tale. Sounds like a good idea to put it on a time switch. I've checked and the cig lighter socket in our Calypso is live all the time - does this mean we can use that to charge it (Dave) ?

Bill

If your ciggy lighter is permanently live you should have no problem using a trickle charger with a plug on the end. Just be carefull connecting and disconnecting (suggest plug in to lighter socket then turn power on. then before unplugging turn power off).

Very many thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Dave - further to posts some time ago, may I pass on a piece of info in case you don't know re T Mobile internet via phone/laptop. If you are on PAYG, you can send a text saying "web" to 441. This will give you five days internet for £2.50.

Within 30 minutes, T-Mobile will text you to let you know that the pass is ready to go and this access will continue until midnight 5 full days later.

Cheers - Bill

whbs - 2008-06-03 9:46 AM

Very many thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Dave - further to posts some time ago, may I pass on a piece of info in case you don't know re T Mobile internet via phone/laptop. If you are on PAYG, you can send a text saying "web" to 441. This will give you five days internet for £2.50.

Within 30 minutes, T-Mobile will text you to let you know that the pass is ready to go and this access will continue until midnight 5 full days later.

Cheers - Bill

Thanks for the info Bill.

D.

Archived