"silver screens" inside or outside

mike 202

Please could I have some advice on the plus and minus points to consider when choosing inside or outside silver screens or similar make. for my autosleeper overcab motorhome, which has cab curtains and not cassette blinds. I will be spending sept/oct and feb to april in spain. I do not know whether to buy screens that fit inside or outside my van. Thanks

Hi Mike

We have both types of silver screens.

The motorhome came with internal screens and we purchased external ones at a motorhome show.

We find the internal ones very uncomfortable to fit as the cab in our vehicle is compact and find that the suction pads do not always adhere expecially in the centre of the screen. They are also a fiddle to release in the morning.

The external ones have more bulk and are taller too when stored. They also need two people to make fitting them a quick operation. We are both shorties and perhaps this colours our view.

Both types need room to dry (the loo) or/and wiping with a microcloth and then careful rolling up to fit into the bags.

Our choice is this

In winter - external silver screens, even when raining. If very cold we fit both types. [However if we get into a situation where we are wild camping due to lack of site, we do not fit external screens.] We find that the external screen prevents condensation, so long as not much steam is produced from cooking.

In summer - we use a stiff internal screen by Fiamma to keep the sun out.

If you search on the forum it should produce more information for you.

Joyce

At the moment I have internal screens. As Joyce said they are easier to remove if you have to drive off in a hurry. They do, however, create a lot of condensation.

I am going to invest in some external screens that can be folded down.

During the day I can easily close them to keep the van cool for the dogs, without all of the palava of fitting the internal ones.

We have and use both, the internal ones alone only reduce the condensation a bit as air can still circulate between them and the window glass. As the others have said we use the internal ones alone when we may need to move off quickly and both together in late autumn and winter. However I would only buy the outside ones with the fold down middle as they are a pain to remove and store if you wish to see out the window. Never worry about wiping them down just hose them off if they are gruby and put them in the shower to dry off.

Bas

Guest JudgeMental

no experience with inside but I would think they would be a pain to fit...

outside for me. you can easily fold mine down allowing light in, and views out. plus get the ones that extend over the grill - stops drafts through air grills, and better if winter camping.

Yes very good Judge, a pain to fit to the pane. The basic problem with ''inside" is they don't keep the glass pane warm so the little bit of air that creeps around them touches the cold or frozen pane and condenses.

Proper Silverscreen are the best. The service from the company is also very good and they are helpful.

I fit them quite easily by myself. Put them over the N/S door corner, round the N/S mirror, unroll across the windscreen, fit over the O/S wing mirror, fit over O/S door, tie the tapes round the door handle, press the velcro under the O/S wing mirror, fasten the screen velcro tab, move to N/S door and mirror and repeat.

It took me longer to type this than fit the things to the van! :-D

We bought our external ones from "Taylor-made" and they are great, drop down front, easy to put on, my OH puts them on with no help and we don't get any condensation. We received first class service from the Proprietors at their premises in Yorkshire and cannot praise them enough. If and when we replace our Rapido we will most certainly go back to "Taylor-made".

We also have a front internal screen that came with the Rapido but we still get condensation when we use this one on its own.

We use both,

The internals are great for a quick fix to block hot sun when parked up for a short while.

Externals for the cold weather

Both for the very cold weather :D

Also we have made some internal curtains which velcro on from fly screen material from Tshibo (spl ?) The fly screen is silvered on the outside and black on the inside. virtually impossible to see in, but easy to see out.

rgds

Don't try either of the usual British firms for anything out of the normal. Silversreens quoted £5000( I assume he was jesting and just did't want the work) for our Eura Mobil 810 . Taylormade agreed to make one for a reasonable £120,measured up for it at the Lincoln show last year. We are still waiting.

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2008-06-04 9:08 PM

Clive - 2008-06-04 9:06 PM

Taylor Made 4 me.

Yes agreed us too, Taylormade knocks the spots off Silver Screens, as a company and a product.

Bas

And me, a very good product.

Archived