Incorrect toll charges at automatic peages

Patricia

Cattwg - 2008-06-18 9:00 PM

Are the unmanned stations truly unmanned?

... but the barrier did not rise. After about 3/4 minutes ... a voice emerged from the ether ... and the barrier lifted. There must have been a human there somewhere!

Regards Cattwg

I have just re-read the letter from Cofiroute and translated says,

"... if you notice a fault you must press the 'Aide' button to call the tele operator who from a distance can rectify the error before you pay. ('before you pay' is heavily highlighted but I don't know how to do this in a post.) Further more we have got to make clear that these peages are under video surveillance and that in case of dispute checks can be carried out."

I think that explains how the barrier was lifted - all automated.

Michele - thank you for your concern but I have tried to do this from the cab but I am too small to reach the slots or to see the instructions but in time I suspect I will know what to do with my eyes shut! Comforting to know that they are watching but not so good to know it took 3 / 4 minutes to notice the barrier was still down. I suspect that the video is there to protect their interests - the machine must collect a lot of money and be tempting to a thief. At one time peages had police sat in the buildings but they seem to have been replaced by a camera! C'est la vie!

Patricia - 2008-06-19 7:45 AM

"... if you notice a fault you must press the 'Aide' button to call the tele operator who from a distance can rectify the error before you pay."

Hi Patricia,

Yes the 'Aide' button was pressed at some point during the problem - not quite sure at what point - but after we had paid.

Your explanation of remote monitoring explains our eventual 'release' from the peage.

Regards Cattwg

Just updating about the toll refund situation. Confiroute have sent me a cheque for €20 (I think I have already written this!) and gave me the address for APRR (Autoroutes Paris-Rhin-Rhone) so I wrote to them. Had a very nice letter back telling me it wasn't there autoroute so they had forwarded my letter to ASF (Autoroutes du Sud de la France).

I have now received a letter from ASF (which was sent to my French address despite the fact that I had put in my letter that I wasn't returning until the end of August!) so my French neighbour photographed it and emailed it to me. Surprise! Surprise! They say that my motorhome is over 3m high etc. So yet another letter (as no email address given) to give them proof that the motorhome is under 3m etc. (I included Auto-Trail's details).

This seems like a lot of bother but I am sure this is going to happen again and particularly this route as it is the exit I will use most. I just need it in writing that the companies accept that I am Classe 2 for future reference.

Up to now no-one else seems to be having this problem or at least have not added to this post.

Randonneur - 2008-06-26 6:30 PM

Patricia, don't forget you have the new Camos dome fitted. Does it make your motorhome higher?

Yes, the motorhome is higher but according to the leaflet which ASF sent (and my French neighbour photographed) the height measurements do not include anything on the roof. Still waiting for a reply so we shall see!

PS Have you got your new motorhome yet?

Flippin 'eck Patricia, you noticed. We hope to have the Laika 2nd week in July, they are very busy at Horizon in Bordeaux. I think this one has the dreaded Teleco on it but its the semi-automatic one, but we shall see, it might be hairpulling time again. Still hankering after the dome though but will have to wait until next year.

By the way, diesel at Auchan, Angouleme

today was 1.379€.

Hope everything is still going OK with you.

Sylvia

We too have just come back from a tour of france and at one automatic peage booth were charged class 2 and at another class 3. The time we were charged at class 3 we were on a brand new motorway - the one going north of Tours towards Caen - so we will have to avoid the new motorways from now one completely, we were avoiding going too far into le Mans.

Our problem is probably that we are 3.1 metres high. We aren't quite as tall as we were as on leaving the Barfleur at Cherbourg we were waved on and hit the upper car deck with the tv aerial. They've taken full responsibility, we have the bit of paper to prove it.

I'm not sure whether we will replace the aerial as the Lidl satellite system worked very well for Astra 28.2d well down into the Lot region.

Archived