solar panels

gadjo

I just cant stop saying it but i've just got a new motor home :-D Autotrial Cheyenne!!!

I have read the intsruction manual and in the electric bit there's mention of being able to hook up a solar panel between 200W to 1000W with a spare socket thing avaialble to plug it into.

What i want to know is, is this worth doing? How much are we talking and does any one know a good place to get them fitted??

cheers

gadjo - 2008-06-05 4:21 PM

I just cant stop saying it but i've just got a new motor home :-D Autotrial Cheyenne!!!

I have read the intsruction manual and in the electric bit there's mention of being able to hook up a solar panel between 200W to 1000W with a spare socket thing avaialble to plug it into.

What i want to know is, is this worth doing? How much are we talking and does any one know a good place to get them fitted??

cheers

Have a look at Roadpro website ( Google it ) and you will get some info.

Most solar panel installers would always prefer to wire the solar direct to the leisure battery via its own dedicated regulator rather than use an inbuilt unit. Why? Because it minimises the potential for voltage drop due to long runs of wiring and or inadequate wiring. The regulator needs to be as close as is sensibly possible to the battery to also minimise voltage drop.

D.

Are you sure that shouldn't be 20w to 100w?

As to 'is it worth it' then if you can get search to work read threads, it mainly boils down to if you will be using hook up or not.

Try Terry's tip and use google inserting this

solar site:http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk

During summer months a motorhome with a gas heating system can survive quite well with an 80 watt panel and regulator. Also if you have to park your motorhome up over winter where no hookup is available the solar panel can keep both leisure and starter battery in tip top condition.

I believe they should by step number 2 to increase ones ability to survive without hookup for longer periods. (Step number 1 is double up on your leisure battery)

Good luck

C.

Had a look about seems like 85w would be ok looked at a few suppliers cost about £400 to £500+++ fitted suppose you have to wiegh that cost up with usage and as you say if you use hook ups, how its stored etc will have to do some thinking

your probably right colin :$

Thanks anyway chaps :-S

Guest JudgeMental
gadjo - 2008-06-06 11:23 AM

Had a look about seems like 85w would be ok looked at a few suppliers cost about £400 to £500+++ fitted suppose you have to wiegh that cost up with usage and as you say if you use hook ups, how its stored etc will have to do some thinking

your probably right colin :$

Thanks anyway chaps :-S

As others have said it depends on your usage. I considered this and went for a second battery instead. If wild camping for long periods without moving maybe worth considering.

I have got 2 110 lesuire batteries on the van will these last a good while then?? Suppose depends on usage??

What size panel would keep the batteries topped up as storing van with no hook up.

Daft question I know but still new to all this !! *-)

If you have gas heating (not diesel) and are sensible with 12 volt usage then anything from an 80 watt panel upwards (with a regulator) will keep you going through the summer. This will also maintain your batteries in a good state during periods of lay up - providing its not parked in a shed!.

C.

First, accept that you will never justify a solar panel financially. At around £500, you'd need to save at least 170 nights' hookup just to break even. And most UK sites and many Continental ones no longer charge separately for hook-up, so you can count those nights out since you're paying anyway. And, with two 100 amp hour+ leisure batteries, you should not need hook-up unless you stay more than 2 or 3 nights (longer in summer) without moving.

Second, note that solar panels are pretty useless in winter, even in the south of Spain, because the sun is so low you never get more than about a third of the nominal output even on the best sunny day.

Third, unless the panels have proper fairings at the front, the interference drag will increase your fuel consumption - maybe only 2 or 3 mpg, but at today's prices that all adds up. And the fairings cost extra, of course!

They are really only of vaue if you plan to wild camp or stay on CL type sites for long periods without hookup. So their usefulness all depends on what you are planning to use your motohome for. Having had multiple solar panels when I stayed frequently at gliding airfields, we have not fitted one so far to our existing van conversion, since we use it mainly for touring. On those occasions when we stay on site for a week, we accept we have to pay for hook up - but it's a darn sight cheaper than a solar panel.

Mel E

====

Archived