Gaffer Tape

Graham Hoy

Used gaffer tape as temporary repair to motorhome as a result of minor collision with tree stump masquerading as a bush!!

Now 6 months later looking to carry out permanent repair pulled tape off only to leave behind the adhesive!! The Question is what is best method of removing this adhesive without doing further damage to the grp gel coat?

Graham

I'd use petrol, as that won't hard the undamaged GRP surfaces and, to carry out an effective repair, you will no doubt have to cut back/saw out/grind down the areas that have been damaged. So, even if any adhesive residue is left in the damaged areas after the petrol has evaporated, this will be removed at the repair preparation stage.

Hey, it's lasted 6 months - why bother? Just stick some more gaffer tape on it, no-one will know. My old van passed 2 MoT's with gaffer tape covering places where there would otherwise have been sharp edges.

I'm a big fan of the stuff. Used it once to cover the plinths ("kick plates") of kitchen units we were repainting. Lasted much longer than the paint.

Is this worth a competition on "Chatterbox?" Most creative use of gaffer tape?

Tony

(PS Welcome to the forum - some of the folk on here will give you wiser advice than mine, but mine may be more fun.)

Hey, it's lasted 6 months - why bother? Just stick some more gaffer tape on it, no-one will know. My old van passed 2 MoT's with gaffer tape covering places where there would otherwise have been sharp edges. Since pristine appearance mattered to me (!) I used a red version, but you can get it in white as well.

I'm a big fan of the stuff. Used it once to cover the plinths ("kick plates") of kitchen units we were repainting. Lasted much longer than the paint.

Is this worth a competition on "Chatterbox?" Most creative use of gaffer tape?

Tony

(PS Welcome to the forum - some of the folk on here will give you wiser advice than mine, but mine may be more fun.)

I keep a 5 litre can of spirit wipe in the garage for those kind of jobs.

Paint sprayers use it to wipe over a panel to ensure cleaniness before spraying.

Not sure of the cost as I've had it years...nothing it won't shift though.

Archived