problem with gas heater.

gboden65

when I press the spark ignition button, the gas heater lights, but the spark ignition keeps klicking, so the AA battery soon goes flat, has anyone any idea what is wrong,this is on a 2002, Autocruise Starquest . *-) .

Hi George, I have the same problem with my heater, I expect you will find the igniter has gone walkabouts. A replacement costs around £40 and is easy to install, you don't even need a screwdriver!

I didn't bother with a new one yet,I just cut one of the brown wires that goes from the unit to the microswitch on the control knob, (on otherside of fire), and put a switch (SPST) in the circuit. I never did like the auto ignition,as if the gas runs out, the thing is sparking away until you turn the control knob to the off position, and if you are out of the MH, the battery gets depleted.

As a temporary fix, its easy to remove the battery/batteries without removing the fire cover/surround, we did this when the problem first occurred and were away in Holland for a couple of months.

Other things can cause the problem, so have attached a link to a service manual, note that bad earthing and continuity can be at fault too.

http://www.arcsystems.biz/manuals/%20SPL3002.PDF

Regards Terry

Archived