Reversing sensors on X250 panel van conversion

rowley

Hi Rowley,

I fitted reversing sensors onto my Peugeot Mk2 Autocruise Stargazer which has a similar electrical system.

The feed was taken from the reverse light/rear light cluster and works just fine.

The reverse sensor unit only places a very very light loading on the circuit, just a few milliamps, I don't believe the buscam will even detect the load is there.

Regards Terry

Hi Rowley, I have fitted reversing sensors to several of the new X2/50 panel vans and you can either take the power directly off the rear light cluster or there is a reverse light feed in the drivers side dashboard fusebox. either way it will not interfere with the CANBUS system. Be careful which type of sensors you buy though, because the rear bumper of the panel van is so low the normal round inset sensors will be no good as they will pick up the ground. This type of sensor usually needs to be a minimum of 500-550mm above the ground. I use the Parking Partner 2 system which has two wide angle (horizontally) shallow angle (vertically) sensors which mount under the rear bumper. The display is a bit bulky but not overly intrusive and I feel this is the best system available.

D.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Mike, I am afraid that I still have not fitted them. Partly because it is difficult to get to the reversing light cables on the X250 Twin, and Dave's (and dw's) comments about the height issue means that I would need to fit them higher than the bumper. I am now wondering about moving my rear view camera from under the bumper to above the rear doors looking down. Has anyone else fitted a camera there? and was it effective?

Hi Rowley, look at the parking partner reversing sensor system (on my website, other suppliers are available ;-) ). The beauty of these sensors is they are a shallow vertical angle, wide horizontal angle sensor. This means they can be fixed under your rear bumper and adjusted to not pick up the road. You can take the reverse light feed for these sensors from the fusebox behind the drivers side knee trim.

Reversing cameras are always better positioned up high and looking down. That way you can get an idea of distance to any obstacle.

D.

Archived