Bilbao, then where?

kevandali

Bilbao, then where?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi EveryoneJust found out that the kids do not want to go away with us this year in the Motorhome and would prefer a separate non Motorhome holiday if possible.(YES!! Freedom!)

[red]Only joking, kids, if you are reading this.[/red]

We have about two and a half to three weeks off.As per usual I will be looking for all my information required on here but would like to know what direction you canny motorhome veterans would take if given three choices and arriving at Bilbao at the start of August.As always, any extra information always welcome.

Cheers

Kevandali

Guest JudgeMental
have a look at "santilliana del mar" very pretty town near Santander, then up the "picos de europa" mountains.... along coast to "santigo de compestella" then down into North Portugal......

Cheers Judge, will take a look, I am sure a few more forum members will happen along as they meander through the forum. Will keep my options open as long as possible, make a decision and then check with the wife that I have made the right one :-D

(if you fine people don't want to repeat information that can already be found on the forum, please vote anyway, it would be nice to get a general idea)

Two of our favourite places in Spain.

The Alhambra, Granada. Need to book in advance.

Nerja, near Malaga. It has an "aire" now. The thing to do is get a table near The Balcon de Europa, eat a slow meal watching the world parade by.

Last time we dis this we did Bilbao --> Toledo. Found Toledo not as ancient as we hoped, much modernisation of old buildings.

Then Toledo --> Granada.

Granada --> Nerja.

Throw in Ronda - quite a sight, huge gorge and the first bullring in Spain which is quite civilised provided you go when there are no bulls there.

Edit:

Oh dear, I now see I didn't match any of your choices, but these were good ones :-). However, On returning from the above trip we did cut across to Biarritz. I can best describe it as an up market Victorian resort that has retained it's splendour, needs sunshine. Further across, Carcasonne, lovely walled city provided the sun shines.

I agree with the Judge. I've done that particular trip twice and really enjoyed it. Lots of interest and the Picos de Europa mountains are fantastic. Campsites are plentiful, although you will probably have to

book in early august.

I loved the town of Caminha in Portugal, right on the border with spain.

The campsite I stayed at was in the Orbitur chain and called Caminha.

It was on the coast with a beautiful sandy beach and a conifer forest next door, good value for money and all the usual facilities. If I wasn't such an "IT Pygmy" I'd show you a picture !

The west coast of Portugal is beautiful, but the north will be cooler in august and you certainly won't be bored !

www.orbitur.pt

The Picos are indeed fantastic. A nice relaxing trip might be through the Picos to the Punta de Estaca de Bares - the northernmost point of mainland Spain. We've motorhomed and cycle toured the north coast area a few times now and always had a great time.

Alternatively turn left at Bilbao and skirt the Pyrenees. Depending on your interests you'll find plenty of culture in the small villages, and Cities like Pamplona; or wonderous natural beauty in places like Odessa national park.

We've spent perhaps two months in total in northern Spain and almost always wild camped without any problem at all. If you stay on sites, turning left at Bilbao will be easier, the sites in and around the Picos are pretty crammed in Summer.

Archived