Help me get to Hawes

HWO

Just packing for a tour of the Dales . Going to the CC site at Hawes. The handbook seems to say that the A684 from Sedburgh to Hawes is not suitable for bigger MH. Anybody out there used that road with a biggish(28ft) motorhome. What's it like?

It's a long way round if I don't use that road as I am coming from the M6.

I have driven a local bus (36 ') in the area for several years and from Junction 37 M6 to Sedburgh is no problem just take it easy down "Black Horse Hill" about 2 miles from the junction. From Sedburgh to Hawes is no real problem but has some tight bends and is a narrow road, you may find some big trucks & coaches coming the other way. Also make sure you follow the sign posted route to avoid Sedburgh town center

Hi HWO,

NO, NO, do not go that way with a 28ft M/H, The CC handbook also advises against going via Sedbergh. no one as mentioned the very narrow single lane bridges, it ain't worth the hassle.

If your coming from the South get off the M6 at Junction 34 and take the A683 then A687 to Ingleton, then take B6255 straight to Hawes. (After Ingleton keep eye out for Settle/Carlisle railway and the Viaduct.

If approaching from the North give the site a call, to advise best route before you set off. Ignore your Co Pilots warning at your peril!!.

Doug.

Hi

I agree with Douglas (IOM). From M6 Lancaster via Ingleton & Ribblehead to Hawes is a much better route, (I live along it).

I have driven 40ft coaches along the M6 Sedbergh/ Hawes road many times with no problems, although care is needed on the many bends & narrow bridges. The Ingleton route is possibly quicker.

Regards Marcob

Archived