Gas turned off but want a cuppa????

Mel B

Not sure where to stick this so thought I'd put it here! :-D

When we were coming back from France and at the chunnel, we were allowed to travel on an earlier train. They checked the gas was turned off then we had about 20 mins to kill before loading started. As we hadn't expected to get on that train, thinking it would be next one, I had planned to have a cuppa, however, once the gas check had been done I didn't want to put the gas back on (gendarmes with guns you know!) so was disappointed at the thought of a long wait before being able to have one ... no, I do did not want one from the vending machines, I like a proper cup of tea thanks!

Then a thought struck me, we always carry a portable gas stoves with us, the ones that take those small gas aerosol type canisters, just in case for some reason the gas system is not usable in the van (anyone who knows of our experience a few years back will understand why!). Hubby went a fishing in the garage and came back with it, I quickly put the kettle on, made a cuppa in thermos type beaker with lid, gas stove put on floor of toilet compartment to safely cool down, cold water put in kettle to cool it down so it could be put back in the cupboard, a few minutes later I was supping a lovely cuppa tea!

Obviously I would not condone using this on the train (or ferry) itself but whilst waiting in the queue to be loaded it worked fine and I got my cuppa. They are also ideal if you want to cook something smelly or messy so can use it outside.

or people like me who don't / can't use the tunnel just brew up anyway :D

B-)

ps Mel, read about your bad time in the Netherlands - hard luck - also sorry it's put you off going there - it's long been one of my favourite countries, and not just for the apple pie n cream :D

davenewell@home - 2008-06-11 10:02 PM

Alternatively if you had filled a thermos flask with hot water at the last boiling of the kettle before your journey you would have had hot water for a cuppa with no waiting for a kettle to boil or hoping the Gendarmes (with guns 8-) ) don't hear the kettle boiling. (lol)

D.

We always do that both ways wherever we are going. Means we can have a brew en route and when we get there and, even coming home, don't have to wait for the kettle after driving for several hours.

Graham

We do the same, if we have boiled a kettle we put the residue into the insulated jugs, we have two small ones, one plastic outside the other stainless steel. The plastic one is best we bought it from Towsure and it has a glass Thermos inside. Even when you are able to use your gas you can still put the water from the jug into the kettle and it doesn't take as long to boil.

Guest JudgeMental

while I turn of the gas and play with the GPS, Mrs Mental pops into Starbucks and gets us a couple of "13 shot venti soy hazelnut vanilla cinnamon white mocha with extra white mocha and caramel's"

God you lot are so prosaic! :-D

little-jack - 2008-06-12 1:21 PM

I reckon you were lucky to get away with that! Would be interested in a comment from Eurotunnel, because I always thought you are banned from even transporting these cylinders, especially open, through the tunnel.

Its not gas cylinders its gas tanks.

Flipping heck, I was only making a suggestion of how to get a cuppa!

Yes, I agree the flask would have been a good idea, and indeed I have done this before and keep one in the camper for this purpose, as well as use thermal mugs when travelling on the ferry. But the point was that I didn't know I wouldn't have the time!!!!

As for our little stove, if it is not allowed for you to to have these aerosol sized canisters/cylinders, call them what you will, how come they don't check for them then? If they started to stop you having these then they'd also have to look at the safety of motorhome gas pipes and make sure these are bleed of any remnants of gas wouldn't they as they would hold a whole lot more gas than these canisters.

Sometimes I'm sorry I even bother ...... *-)

Ranger - 2008-06-12 10:03 AM

The Thermos flask was the cleverest invention ever, it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold the smart bit is HOW CAN IT TELL WHICH IS WHICH??????????

It's when you put warm fluids in that it really confuses them, they don't know whether to keep it hot or cold!!!!! (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
little-jack - 2008-06-13 5:16 PM

Possibly, but Eurotunnel regs. say Gas CONTAINERS, under 47kg, less than 80% full, declared at check in and switched off.

gas bottles/cylinders are "full" at 80% as they have a safety cut of fitted?

fitted or loose gas bottles/cylinders are allowed as long as turned of - what about the 100's of cars full of camping equipment and gas bottles included.

you are getting your wire crossed it is LPG POWERED vehicles that can not use the tunnel *-)

My understanding is of the rule is:

You cannot take a gas powered, ie LPG propelled, vehicle onto the tunnel, full stop. This is the case whether or not you can temporarily can change the propulsion fuel to petrol. They simply are not allowed as, I assume, the gas cannot be isolated before boarding ... unless of course they suddenly decide that you can be towed or pushed on!!!

You can take a standard diesel or petrol powered (or electric I suppose!) vehicle through the tunnel so long as the gas is turned off at the cylinder before boarding the train. This applies to a fixed domestic tank (ie that is only used for the habitation part, not to propel the vehicle), or a refillable or exchange type gas cylinder.

The small canister in the small gas stove we have by default is turned off when the gas control tap is turned off, so the gas was 'off' and therefore the rule was applied.

The gas stove was used whilst in the car park awaiting boarding, and therefore no different to having your normal gas on to make a cuppa whilst in any other car park.

I would not suggest anyone tried to use the small gas stove, or any other type of gas appliance, including a fridge, whilst actually on the train!!! That would be ruddy stupid and dangerous!

colinfrier - 2008-06-12 4:37 PM

Sorry you can't make a proper cupa unless the water is boiling not just very hot try a electric element from 12v supply.

Colin Frier

And I bet you use a china teapot, warm it first and stir it seven times anti clockwise too (lol) . Only teasing Colin.

I understand your point but I can make a cuppa that I personally find acceptable using very hot waterr from a flask and a teabag in the cup (lol) .

D.

Surely there is no harm in turning the gas back on whilst waiting for your train, boiling the kettle and turning the gas off before boarding? I mean, it is not as if the security bods seal thengas compartment, is it?

Not within 'the rules' perhaps but I have always followed the philosophy of that 'Rules are for the obiedence of fools and the guidance of wise men!'

Mike Parke - 2008-06-15 8:56 PM

Surely there is no harm in turning the gas back on whilst waiting for your train, boiling the kettle and turning the gas off before boarding? I mean, it is not as if the security bods seal thengas compartment, is it?

Not within 'the rules' perhaps but I have always followed the philosophy of that 'Rules are for the obiedence of fools and the guidance of wise men!'

Quote from original post "however, once the gas check had been done I didn't want to put the gas back on (gendarmes with guns you know!)"

Now in my book people with guns are a pretty good reason to NOT ignore THEIR rules! I once had the mispleasure of looking down the business end of a loaded (as far as I was aware and concerned 8-) ) 9mm automatic pistol in the hand of a Gendarme! Only one reason why I have no desire to go back to France :D

D.

Dave, I agree with your comments about the 'business end' of firearms regardless of the calibre! However, as I have never seen any 'authority' patrolling the boarding area car park I would go ahead, but, as always I would not suggest to anyone to do anything they do not feel happy about doing!

Putting the main gas back on once it's been checked as 'turned off' ... hmmmmmm, let me think .... *-)

1) Yes there are gendarmes with guns, 'cause I've seen em!

2) They have CCTV at these places as well.

3) Do you really want to risk getting a bollocking by the French police ...?

4) Or worse, being refused your crossing because you were a danger to others and the tunnel etc ...

I'll stick to my little stove thanks!

:-S

Archived