Lidl suitcase dish assy

libby

libby - 2008-06-12 2:46 AM

My pal is looking for a Lidl setup. Any still available?

LB

All depends whether your local branch has sold out. Saw one in Lidl at Stockton on Tees just over a week ago. Aldi had a similar kit on offer a couple of weeks back - the Middlesbrough store still had some left on Sunday.

Graham

Guest JudgeMental
libby - 2008-06-12 2:46 AM

My pal is looking for a Lidl setup. Any still available?

LB

If you call there "customer services" number they will call around and try and find one for you.

They did this for me and I got one last Friday, but problem with receiver on 230v supply (OK on 12v) so awaiting a replacement *-)

Guest JudgeMental

replacement receiver arrived today. After a few problems with connections, once I connected it up with my audible meter in line, had a picture in less then a minute! I could not believe it!

we are on Asra 28.2 E ....is that the right one???

now when it comes to saving channels receiver keeps freezing! it tends to be when you scroll down to BBC HD and it freezes.....

any one any Ideas...

will try this out tomorrow with 80cm dish I have had for a while, as I doubt that the lidl dish would work in Italian lakes?? what do you experts think?

should be good enough for northern France though? just hope this is not beginners luck lol :-D

My learning curve with this kit started at Newbury. 28.8 and bbc1 is what I found initially after getting some pearls of wisdom from those who know.

No chance with it sat on the drive with all the trees around.

C.

Does anyone have any tips for getting the 3 "suckers/feet" to work??

We used the dish again at the weekend but this time tried to plonk it on the roof but the feet just wouldn't "suck" to the roof. So I gave up and attached it to the door mirror with no probs.

I tried the suckers dry and wet but to no avail.

Any tips gratefully received

Martyn

Eddie,

You will find more to watch using the FTA receiver. I was never able to pick up any other satellite other than Astra 2D with the Sky Box. So if you are going way out of the guaranteed Sky reception area, then FTA rxer would be better. I always carry both rxer's, so keep a choice, you could always leave a teenager behind if room/weight is a problem. (lol)

Regards Terry

I've been trying out the Maplins one which is identical. I live in N.Ireland and the first satellite I picked up was Astra 19.2E with loads of German, Spanish & italian channels.

To get Astra 28.2E I had to set the dish looking towards the ground at a slight angle. The 28.2 'sweet spot' was very narrow and easily missed whilst the 19.2 was a doddle to acquire.

So, yes, I would say the Lidl receiver will pick up any channel that's not encrypted but the problem will be the size of the dish. I doubt it will be large enough to get Astra 28.2E from Italy. I base this on the advertised footprint not personal experience so I stand ready to be corrected.

Just editing this to add that I'm referring to the dish that comes with the Lidl system. If you have a bigger dish it may well be different.

Guest JudgeMental
Terrytraveller - 2008-06-18 3:16 PM

Eddie,

You will find more to watch using the FTA receiver. I was never able to pick up any other satellite other than Astra 2D with the Sky Box. So if you are going way out of the guaranteed Sky reception area, then FTA rxer would be better. I always carry both rxer's, so keep a choice, you could always leave a teenager behind if room/weight is a problem. (lol)

Regards Terry

Mmmm.... just ordered sky card for £20 as I like C5, sky box and menu seems more robust. Plus this replacement Lidl box continues to freeze. have it set up with sky box and 88cm dish at moment and its fine - first time!

will probably return suitcase kit and buy the maplin/comag box on its own.... I am sure I read somewhere that in Italy you need the sky box - maybe a figment of my imagination

are you offering to teenager sit? lol

I have same set up and experience same freezing on BBC HD and a couple of others - all HD transmissions. I suspect the comag box firmware gets jammed when receiving these new alien transmissions. I suggest you temporarily disconnect the dish to stop HD reception and via the menu system select and edit the BBC HD channel to delete it from the channel list. Then all will be OK!

As far as reception in Italy goes, this depends largely on dish size not receiver. The sky receiver will only pick up astra 2 channnels on 28.2 deg but does have a reasonable electronic program guide, and for the moment allos ch5. The Lidl (comag) receiver will pick up all "free to air" ie not encrypted channels on any available satellites, but has poor electronic program guide. Italy is on the fringe of reception for astra 2 on 28.2 deg for either receiver with your dish sizes, but at least with Lidl one you could point to astra 1 on 19.2 deg when in far reaches of Europe - it has a broad European "footprint" compared to the UK centric footprint of astra 2. This will provide news channels.

Guest JudgeMental
Silicongyro - 2008-06-18 5:38 PM

I have same set up and experience same freezing on BBC HD and a couple of others - all HD transmissions. I suspect the comag box firmware gets jammed when receiving these new alien transmissions. I suggest you temporarily disconnect the dish to stop HD reception and via the menu system select and edit the BBC HD channel to delete it from the channel list. Then all will be OK!

WAs far as reception in Italy goes, this depends largely on dish size not receiver. The sky receiver will only pick up astra 2 channnels on 28.2 deg but does have a reasonable electronic program guide, and for the moment allos ch5. The Lidl (comag) receiver will pick up all "free to air" ie not encrypted channels on any available satellites, but has poor electronic program guide. Italy is on the fringe of reception for astra 2 on 28.2 deg for either receiver with your dish sizes, but at least with Lidl one you could point to astra 1 on 19.2 deg when in far reaches of Europe - it has a broad European "footprint" compared to the UK centric footprint of astra 2. This will provide news channels.

Welcome to the forum Colin!:-D

I have 2 dishes the small one in lidl suitcase system and a larger 88cm TRIAX one on a tripod....

the triax is quite difficult to set up in comparison to lidl...... So I will bring both *-)

If I had more time think I would have ordered KVH Trackvison dome, I have deliberated because I intend to change van....anyway, knowing my luck as site we are staying at in Italy this summer has a lot of trees, probably better of with portable system.

Yes Terry, I have discusses this with Mrs Mental, its one thing sharing the living room with great kids that I adore, quite another with big & hairy/smelly adults lol :-D

• 2 weeks later...
We found the reception at Tours very good with the Lidl dish, in the Lot region in the early evening it was pretty good on BBC but picture broke up a bit, ITV fine. In Serignan Plage no astra, we could only find something we didn't want with world BBC news. We had bought a garden spike for putting up a big umbrella for shade, but Chris stole it for the dish and very good it was too, it means you can place it in the best position rather than having it attached to the van.

Guest JudgeMental

I have been playing with mine in the garden (lidl dish *-) ) and it is very quick to get a fix.I use a compass and audible meter.

I got the £20 sky card so bringing both boxes to Italy in a few weeks, but probably only the big TRIAX 88cm dish as Lidl unlikely to work in Italian lakes?

Big dish more tricky to set up and wind affects it more......

I've just got back from France and couldn't get a signal anywhere with the Lidl dish. Maybe it was me or maybe I haven't set it up properly! I followed the instructions but to no avail. I also couldn't get the feet to suck and stay, it fell off, broke the little nodule on the compass and stayed in the garage for rest of the trip!

Unless some kind hearted soul takes pity on me at Lincoln, it is resigned to experience I think and ask Bob Jackson to fit me one to the roof when I've got a few spare quid.

Any suggestions as to what's wrong gratefully received

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

Did you not experiment with this kit at home before you left?

as this really helps iron out the problems and less embarrasing on site lol

I would have a look at your connections as this cost me a frustrating hour on my first attempt.

yes the stick on base is pretty useless unless used on glass.

Mike B. - 2008-06-29 8:50 PM

I've just got back from France and couldn't get a signal anywhere with the Lidl dish. Maybe it was me or maybe I haven't set it up properly! I followed the instructions but to no avail. I also couldn't get the feet to suck and stay, it fell off, broke the little nodule on the compass and stayed in the garage for rest of the trip!

Unless some kind hearted soul takes pity on me at Lincoln, it is resigned to experience I think and ask Bob Jackson to fit me one to the roof when I've got a few spare quid.

Any suggestions as to what's wrong gratefully received

Mike

Mike, forget the feet bit for a kick off, they are in my experience, hopeless although I have not tried them on glass as Handyman mentions.

When you were setting it up did you use the audio device on the box for setting up? This has proved to be the easiest way for us, also for attaching the dish we have used a couple of clamps. The squeeze 'em type you can get at any car boot or cheap market stall for £1. Last time out the best location for us was attaching the dish to the door mirror.

Don't despair, have a go in your living room/garden/whatever, you'll soon get the knack. Obviously, first look for where domestic dishes are pointing to give you a guide.

Also we don't bother with the compass, and it has still never taken us more than 10 mins to find the signal, but doubtless there will be those who say that's 10 mins too long...

Martyn

I have been playing with mine in the garden (lidl dish *-) ) and it is very quick to get a fix.I use a compass and audible meter.

If you've got the Comag/Silvercrest box, there is no need to use a separate signal meter.

Just tune to the channel you want, press info on the remote for the Strength/quality bars and press 1 to get the tone.

I used my Lidl box to get a perfect Astra 2d signal on my 1.9m dish here in Valencia for my Sky HD. So much easier than using an in-line meter.

Same here Mike B, could not get Sky after the first night where it was perfect, there did not appear to be a reason as i done just about everything. I even gave it a thought that the heat had got to the LNB, will never know until i put it up again. As for the 40cm LIDLE dish we have had good reception in Brittany south Holland and West Germany but East Germany ( Dresdon0 could only get their local programs.

Popped into a Lidl before leaving France last week and picked up a suitcase set for a bargain 49 euros (£40) Had to download instructions, not GB, spent ALL day trying to get a signal in the garden, but nothing. All I get is "NO SIGNAL" Dish pointed in every direction, checked connections - seem correct. My Camos TV will not except scart/scart (it has a multi connecter- 7wires into mini scart) On the advise of local Maplins used a scart/triple phono lead, I get the menu etc but not a signal. Any ideas or advise. TV works great with normal aerial.

Chris

Archived