MMM & Which Motorcaravan Awards 2008

mike 202

I have compared these two sister magazine awards and they have a different winner and runner up in each category, WHY ???. Example Base vehicle, MMM !st Transit, 2nd Renault Master & Which Motorcaravan 1st Fiat Ducato ( Why given the faults) 2ndVW T5. Maybee its a case of lets use a pin and see what comes up. Or lets keep everybody (advertisers) happy. I like these two mags, but maybee they should have some similarity in awards to keep some form of creedance.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post. I can understand your confusion to a degree, but I actually think the fact that the two magazines reached different conclusions underlines the fact that both magazines have their own agendas and both respect authenticity and independence of thought.

Each magazine used a different panel of judges to identify the winners and the respective editors issued their own judging criteria to these panels based on their knowledge of their readers’ needs.

So it’s really not surprising that these independent and impartial groups of individuals came to entirely different conclusions. I’d actually find it a bit suspect if they did reach the same conclusion.

Every motorhomer has slightly different tastes, needs and preferences and there’s a huge amount of choice out there. All we, as magazine editors, can do is help our readers narrow down those choices and draw up a shortlist. The final decision as to whether its an A-class or low profile, Fiat, Merc or Ford or a Rapido or a Swift must ultimately rest with the individual.

Mark Sutcliffe

Managing Editor

Which Caravan

Go Caravan

Which Motorcaravan

Camping Caravanning & Motorhome Mart

Mark,

thank you for your balanced view regards the awards, much appreciated. I will read them in a different and better light.

Any ideas on whether all current and future tests on Fiat, (or any other base for that matter), should include a reverse test?.

It would help all concerned, owners, converters, dealers to reach a conclusion on the 26 page thread on Fiat major problems. A published piece seems to carry much more weight than an idividual complaint to a dealer.

:-D

Guest JudgeMental
OAL Moderator - 2008-06-12 10:24 AM

Each magazine used a different panel of judges to identify the

winners and the respective editors issued their own judging criteria to these panels based on their knowledge of their readers’ needs.

So it’s really not surprising that these independent and impartial groups of individuals came to entirely different conclusions. I’d actually find it a bit suspect if they did reach the same conclusion.

It seems that your Judges can be accused of breathing the same rarefied air as most of us and being as out of touch as Moi :-D

How on earth can the debate on the problems with new Fiat chassis escape their attention. Don't surprise me and say they don't look at the varied Motorhome enthusiasts forum's

and are consequently unaware of the debate as I simply could not believe this is the case.....

Then to give the Fiat a 1st place - absolutely ludicrous IMO. While this kind of behaviour continues it is no wonder manufacturers ignore customer's complaints - they just sit back and await the awards to come rolling in *-)

JudgeMental,

What you do is, have an 2007, X/250/ Fiat/Chausson Allegro83 on long term test, but leave it largely parked on the drive, because it's too big for your style of motor homing. (EG, can't access remote area's of coast line, steep twisty roads, no where to turn round, get the picture?). Then when youve handed it back virtually untried, you go out and buy your own ,X/250/ Fiat based panel van conversion and discover, it "judders in reverse." Thats How!!.

good day,

doug.

Archived