Which Mastic ?

hilldweller

I'll be replacing a normal vent with a Fiamma one with fan as soon as it arrives.

What mastic should I use to bed it down on ?

I guess the chorus is STIKAFLEX but which one ?

From a maintenance POV I would think a non setting rather than one that sticks it down for life, but I'm open to offers.

Thanks,

Guest peter
If you want it to stick use Bostik Nail & Seal. Or if you want a non setting type use Caravan sealer obtainable frm a Caravan dealer. The Nail and Seal is brilliant, I use it for most things around the house and boat now. As it is way better than Silicone in every way.

I always use Sikaflex 221 which is an adhesive sealant and remains fairly flexible for some while (over 5 years and still going strong and flexible).

Once on and cured (will cure in rain and in damp), it is difficult but not impossible to remove.

There is Sikaflex 512 which is also described as an adhesive sealant. I have never used Sikaflex 512, perhaps someone on the forum will know the different characteristics of each, my guess is that it is not a strong an adhesive as Sikaflex 221 - an internet search has not shown the differences - so far.

Link http://www.stonewear.com/tech/sikaflex.htm worth a look.

Regards Terry

Archived