Tom Tom Update

brayn

I have a Tom Tom One XL Europe. According to the web site there is an update available. Unfortunately, this needs 6.6Mb more space than I have available. The only way I could make space would be to delete the post codes. I contacted Tom Tom but they are experiencing very heavy use, not surprising!

Any ideas?

Hi Brayn,

The first thing to do is to create a FULL backup of your SD card/flash memory using Explore not TomTom HOME.  Make sure that 'hidden files' are displayed by going into Tools | Folder Options | View and put the tick against 'Show hidden files and folders'.

Create a folder on your PC called Backup TomTom or whatever you like and copy the entire SD card/flash memory to this folder and keep it forever - that way you can always restore your device to a working version.

Once you've done a backup it should be ok to update your device as the upgrade should overwrite the existing files not add extra ones.

W2G

I have hit the same problem. Would it not be possible to put an SD card into the TomTom and then any extra downloads would go onto that. Presumably, the TomTom One XL Europe can uuse its own internal software and data at the same time as any extra data on the SD card.

I have the older GO 510/710 which only has an SD card apart from a small interior ROM chip which I can't get access to.  My operating system and map is all stored on the SD card.

I don't think your suggestion will work John.  What it wants to update is the operation system which is presumably stored in the flash memory.  I know your device also allows for a SD card to be used but I assume this might be for photos, MP3s or additional maps?

If you are only using the interior flash memory you will need to attach your device to yor PC and backup your flash memory as described above.

Do NOT attempt to upgrade your device unless you have backed it up first.

W2G

I'm not sure whether you'll need to do this John as the file/s that you download will have the same name/s as the files already on your device.

The update will be downloaded to TomTom HOME and then transferred to your flash memory overwritting the existing files.  The current files will be replaced not appended.  Hence the reason to carry out a full backup first.  If it falls over you can always restore your backup :-)

Let us know how you get on?

W2G

I am afraid that Tomom Home insists that I remove 6.6MB from the device before I can install the update. Rather inconsiderate of it. Removimng unwanted languagues does not release enough space. Nor does removing POIs as well help. Any ideas?

JohnD - 2008-06-17 7:33 PM I am afraid that Tomom Home insists that I remove 6.6MB . . . Any ideas?

6.6 MB!! struth.  Whatever is it trying to install?  It isn't a new map is it?

Is it just a software upgrade?

If it's just a software upgrade that 'shouldn't' affect the mapping so it might be safe to cut and paste one or two of the .DAT files from the map folder to a temporary folder.  Maybe 'cline.dat' and 'faces.dat' as they seem to be the biggest ones.

Then do the upgrade and copy back the two files to the map folder when it's finished.

W2G

Is there a way of making sure that I have copied all the operating system files? I have followed the procedure above using 'explorer' to copy onto my computer but I am not sure how to recognise these critical files in my copy. I will certainly be interested to here how TT want you to copy everything. Their manual says use 'home' but I understand this does NOT copy the operating system files - a recipe for disaster and another useless plastic box.

As long as you followed the steps in my original posting you should see all the files on your device.

If you highlight all the files on your device (CTRL A) then right-click on your mouse, it should tell you how many files there are and what space then take up (e.g. 591 files in 48 folders - 1.66 GB (1,783,249,527 bytes).

Then do the same thing with your backup folder and compare the results.  This should of course be identical.

W2G

P.S. Have you established whether it is a map or software upgrade?

I finally did it!

Backed up all files, including hidden ones, to my PC, as per W2G.

Inserted 2 Gb card.

Clicked and dragged all back up files to the card, via My Computer.

Updated device via TT Home

Downloaded a 'necessary' file.

It works, the TT automatically uses the program on the card. Appears too be no necessity to delete any on the device memory.

I'm impressed!

My grandchildren bought me a TomTom720 for my 62nd birthday recently, talk about the bees knees, the cats whiskers and the dogs gone to the vets, I found it to be an amazing piece of modern technology, (especially for someone who was born & brought up in the steam age!) after playing with it for a couple of weeks just pottering around locally and getting to know how to use it, I remembered reading an article in O&A forums about downloading all the French "Aires de service" from camping car-info.com so I decided to give it a go, successfully downloaded them onto my steam powered computer but then I hit a snag, how do I transfer the GPS co-ordinates onto the TomTom sat nav? flash of inspiration! send an e-mail request to TomTom customer support service they will know how to do it, duly sent off the e-mail and eagerly awaited a reply, received a reply 2 days later which reads "THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING US TO BE OF SERVICE TO YOU, WE DO NOT SUPPORT 3rd PARTY INFORMATION" O.K so they have basically said bugger off we are not telling you how to do it, but to thank me for allowing them to tell me to bugger off is rubbing salt in the wound, makes me wonder if they are planning to produce their own list of co-ordinates for aires and stelplatz, for a fee of course.

myshell - 2008-06-28 7:59 PM Thanks a million for the info W2G, I'll just put another shovel full of coal on the computer and give it a go, regards Phil p.s. if you ever get stuck with your plumbing or central heating, give me a call.

You're welcome Phil and thanks for the invitation ;-)

We have the old TT 700 and it has it all built in , but doing updates seems to take for ever on tt home, last week i done the camera update and it was running for 45 minuets and those voices do my brain in as i keep having to delete them apart from good old Ken the Aussie. *-) *-)

Archived