Securing Cycles in Garage

Pez

Any good ideas how to secure 2 cycles in the garage section of a motorhome I'm sure there will be some good methods other than purchasing custom cycle racks, would appreciate any suggestions, thank you.

Pez

I've created some 'loops' in our motorhome which I can thread through/hook on some strong bungee straps to keep them tight against the rear wall of the motorhome garage. I just cut lengths of some old ratchet strap material and threaded it through the framework for the upper bed support, and down the side supports as well, I also put some behind some of the securing screws, using washers to stop the straps pulling off the screw heads, and again made loops. I've tried using ratchet straps themselves but they can be a pain to thread and if you don't get the ratchet itself in the right place it can bounce about all over the place. If you do as we do and use bungees to fasten the bikes to each other, you'll find that old socks are great for putting on the pedals to stop them damaging the inside of your garage ... just remember to take them off again before you start riding! :D

As our garage isn't quite tall enough for our bikes to go in as they are, we have quick release front wheels which we remove and then they stand on their rear wheels and the front forks, with the wheels bungeed to them. It only take a couple of minutes to put them in and take them back out (if that) so it's not a problem but if you have the full garage height it should be even quicker. We actually bought one of those proper garage bike racks but it would've taken up a lot of space and with not being able to put the front wheel in it, it sort of defeated the object! *-)

If you want a picture let me know and I'll take some. :-D

Mel B, thank you,

I was thinking of something along those lines, we are fortunate that we can put the cycles in without taking any wheels off, one of the reasons for not having a bike rack is to save space and your idea seems to be the answer as all we need to do is to secure the bikes from moving in transit, thank you for the reply.

Pez

Hi pez

I got some Fiamma garage bars from camper stop uk about £30 including P&P and screwed them to the 'walls' inside of the garage they come in pairs and have 5 strong movable eyes in each. just use bungies to achor everything down works really well, just have to be carful that there is nothing behind where you screw them to like pipes ect

Cheers

Just make sure if you go down the route of screwing bars etc to the camper walls that there is something behind them (ie wooden battens) to secure them to as the wallboard itself isn't thick enough and they're liable to pull off with the weight of bikes, especially as you go round corners etc due to the force that the 'wagging' end of the camper experiences.

Archived