What kit do you leave on your pitch?

Hopesy

When we're on a CC or CCC sites i feel we can leave low value items on the pitch if we go off for the day. This year we're going to France and Spain and will be staying on commercial sites for some of the time. What sort of things do you leave behind because you don't want them in the 'van and to mark that the pitch is in use? (?)

A lot depends on the quality and fellow campers around you. Personaly I would leave our old 5 gal waste water container with some in, and our site marker displaying the motorhome shape with the registration of the van. Some sites know which are in use through booking in and do not allow them to be used by new arrivals, worth checking that out when booking.

On sites where pitches are not allocated invariably we find someone just moves your marker if they want your pitch or parks so close and sticks out awnings etc I dont want to be on the same pitch, so we do not bother now - just go out for the day come back and if pitch is taken find a new one.

Sometimes, if we have the bikes off, we just lock them up on the pitch.

I have a distaste for these signs saying, this is MY PITCH hand off.

If someone can get the benefit of "my" nice pitch, say next to a lovely river, and I am out for the day and not really going to benefit from the pitch location, then I am happy to let someone else have it and enjoy a nice pitch during the afternoon.

If we are staying on a pitch for a few days we have a kitchen tent which we use as we dont have a drive away awning yet. We put our table, chairs, bbq, bikes and odds and ends in it to save packing tthem all away in the van again. We mark our site with a wee rainbow coloured windmill but have just received a coachbuilt shaped sign with our surname on it that the magazine was offering. Windbreaks also do the job. Hate having to recalcualte a pitch each time especially if you have to get the wedges out.

Have fune

Yep, I'm afraid I am one of those who, if I arrive early to choose a nice siting, would probably be saying hands off, I am here first. I have had a sign made saying pitch in use but to date have not used it.

Brambles - 2008-06-17 11:24 AM

I have a distaste for these signs saying, this is MY PITCH hand off.

If someone can get the benefit of "my" nice pitch, say next to a lovely river, and I am out for the day and not really going to benefit from the pitch location, then I am happy to let someone else have it and enjoy a nice pitch during the afternoon.

very zen.

I have payed for a pitch, i liked it, so want to use it when i want, seeing as i payed for it.

well!maybe I did not really mean what I posted. Suppose like everyone when I have paid for a pitch and a stayig a few days or more you do get kind of attacched to the pitch. Good point about levelling up in earlier post..it canm be a real pain especially of you have arrived early and you have managed to get the only near level pitch.

Must have been having one of my moments when I posted earlier.

I did leave a mh sign, but now leave the wife. Problem solved, much more economical on fuel, no shops. Can fish, sleep, pull up, make wrong turns and no back seat driver.(well to the left of me)

Like Twooks, it's very unusual for us to stay mroe than a couple of nights anywhere. Occasionally, we want a break, just to chill out and spend a day sitting in the sun and reading (or catching up with the laundry! :D )

But mostly, the place where we stay the night is just that. We don't think of ourselves as spending our holidays on campsites - our hol is spent in towns, villages, countryside, cafes, museums, beaches, etc, and when we get to late afternoon (or when we've just had enough for now) we look for somewhere to eat and sleep. Next day, if we feel like it, we'll do more of the same, but if we happen to like where we are we'll stay for the day.

Exceptions are when specially want to spend some time in a particular city, in which case like Dave we'll choose a site outside it with public transport links.

Works for us, but wouldn't for everyone.

Tony

Den - 2008-06-17 5:16 PM

I did leave a mh sign, but now leave the wife. Problem solved, much more economical on fuel, no shops. Can fish, sleep, pull up, make wrong turns and no back seat driver.(well to the left of me)

Not sure about leaving her behind after all who's going to get me back to van on an evening after a visit to the pub

Never leave anything on your pitch that is of value ... if you leave it you must accept that you may 'lose' it to someone. Although rare, it does unfortunately happen that someone takes a liking to your chattels!

How about a plastic dog-poo as a pitch marker? That'll ensure that no one else takes your pitch and I seriously doubt if anyone would nick it either! (lol)

Mel B - 2008-06-20 9:51 PM

Never leave anything on your pitch that is of value ... if you leave it you must accept that you may 'lose' it to someone. Although rare, it does unfortunately happen that someone takes a liking to your chattels!

How about a plastic dog-poo as a pitch marker? That'll ensure that no one else takes your pitch and I seriously doubt if anyone would nick it either! (lol)

Never mind a plastic one, with Dex on board we could leave the real thing >:-) . Mind you, I still prefer to leave the motorhome and either walk or take pubic transport :D

D.

Hopesy - 2008-06-21 10:29 AM

Dave Newell - 2008-06-20 2:30 PM

The motorhome!

;-) D.

Dave, and there was me thinking the most expensive thing was my wife :D

Ah but my wife is not expensive. Besides she is in full time employment so buys her own things. ;-) Oh yes, I nearly forgot, she's a damned good cook too :D .

D.

We also leave the Motor home, We usually Walk, cycle or use Public transport.

Next year it will be more public transport as Mr C will be qualifying for his bus pass at the end of the year.

And I get to have age concessions with the C & C Club from July. Some good things do come with age !

:->

Kate

Archived