tyres

bobbo

Well its two questions really, the first one is does anybody really know what difference the word `CAMPING' has when applied to tyres, i.e Michelin Camping tyres as against Michelin Agilis. Both are 8-ply and the same speed rating?

Second question is when I turn the ignition Key to the`MAR' position on my Fiat camper the word `day' appears. There is no mention of this is in the handbook. Does anybody Know what its trying to tell me?

Mornin Bobbo,

The speedo display of DAY, I think is trying to tell you the number of days before service is due, calculated on an annual basis. It is resetable on mine together with the type of service interval 10k, 12K and 18K, by a particular sequence of key turning and button jabbing on the speedo odometer reset button, to eliminate the flashing spanner etc..

The new agilis MH tyre has camping on the sidewall as does the Michelin XC Camping. The Camping tyres are supposed to have more sidewall support as well as up to 10 ply instead of the 8ply commercial van tyres have - I think :-S

Regards Terry

Re tyres..

The camping tyres are indeed uprated versions of the 8 Ply tyres.

The have extra reinforcement to side walls, and also a longer life rubber compound as normal van tres are not expected to be on a vehicle for as long. When people say 8 ply, it does not mean they have 8 plies but have an 8 ply rating. goes back to days of natural textiles and not modern synthetic textiles for thr casing. So a modern 8 ply rating tyre may only have 2 plies in side wall but is very strong.

Camping tyre walls are also thicker, and the tread pattern on the Agilis Camping is slightly different from thr standard Agilis equivalent. The Camping version being M+S rated (Mud and Snow). Its the only camping tyre with M=S ratiing.

Another difference in camping tyres is they are rated up to 80psi, although tested way above this. Standard commercial tyres are not as high as 80psi, and camping tyres should withstand a lot more abuse and the recommendation is to over inflate to take care of over load conditions rather than under inflate.

Michelin XC is all but obsolete now being replaced with the Agilis which is a far superior tyre. The continental Vanco Camping offerering is also supposed to be good, and whereas I think it is better than the XC camping, I think the Agilis Camping is superior but does costs a bit more.

Decision on tyres also comes down also to what your vehicle is and how heavy, tag axle etc.

e.g Panel Van conversion or Coach built with over head cab and long rear overhang. In latter case I would go for camping tyres, and in former case probaly the standard van tyres are adequate as not nearly so stressed.

It is a bit of a mine field, so can really only rely on manufactures and trust them when they produce a camping tyre it is actually worth while and not just some marketing ploy.

Edit. Another difference is Camping tyres are coated on the inside with a better airtight coating to reduce permeance of air through the rubber and deflation over a perod of time. OEMs (Car manufacturers aways specify this coating) but after market tyres I believe rarely have it as it is expensive and adds cost to the tyre reducing their competativeness.

Brambles - 2008-06-18 12:42 PM

Re tyres..

The camping tyres are indeed uprated versions of the 8 Ply tyres.

The have extra reinforcement to side walls, and also a longer life rubber compound as normal van tres are not expected to be on a vehicle for as long. When people say 8 ply, it does not mean they have 8 plies but have an 8 ply rating. goes back to days of natural textiles and not modern synthetic textiles for thr casing. So a modern 8 ply rating tyre may only have 2 plies in side wall but is very strong.

Camping tyre walls are also thicker, and the tread pattern on the Agilis Camping is slightly different from thr standard Agilis equivalent. The Camping version being M+S rated (Mud and Snow). Its the only camping tyre with M=S ratiing.

Another difference in camping tyres is they are rated up to 80psi, although tested way above this. Standard commercial tyres are not as high as 80psi, and camping tyres should withstand a lot more abuse and the recommendation is to over inflate to take care of over load conditions rather than under inflate.

Bramble the tyres on my new Swift have a maximun pressure of 69psi imprinted on them but Fiats recommendation for these tyres on a campervan is 5.5 bar, Swift refer you to Fiat if you ask so I have then at 5 bar. Any idea what is going on here.

Fiat quote an absolute maximum pressure. These pressures actually relate to an axle loading far in excess of what the Fiat axle loading is.

However, Fiat should not have placed the label for max 5.5 Bar if the tyres they fitted were only 60psi. Maybe Swift changed the tyres along with Alloy Wheels???

Anyway, long story short...the only way to really know what your tyre pressures should be is to load up your vehicle as you will have it fully packed for a holiday and go get the Axles weighed at a weighbridge and ask the tyre manufacturer for recommended pressures. I suspect as you have non camping tyres you have a smaller motorhome and you might be surpised how much lower pressure you should have. I doubt very much it will be over 60psi on rear and about 56 psi max on front but . As I say, get it weighed and ask tyre manufacturer.

Brambles - 2008-06-18 4:06 PM

Fiat quote an absolute maximum pressure. These pressures actually relate to an axle loading far in excess of what the Fiat axle loading is.

However, Fiat should not have placed the label for max 5.5 Bar if the tyres they fitted were only 60psi. Maybe Swift changed the tyres along with Alloy Wheels???

Anyway, long story short...the only way to really know what your tyre pressures should be is to load up your vehicle as you will have it fully packed for a holiday and go get the Axles weighed at a weighbridge and ask the tyre manufacturer for recommended pressures. I suspect as you have non camping tyres you have a smaller motorhome and you might be surpised how much lower pressure you should have. I doubt very much it will be over 60psi on rear and about 56 psi max on front but . As I say, get it weighed and ask tyre manufacturer.

I do have campervan tyres and printed max is 69 psi

Hi Rupert,

I have checked the continental data and a 225/70x15 is not listed for camping tyres. There is though in the standard van ranges.

The closest camping tyre is 225 16inch which has a pressure absolute max rating of 5.5 bar with 5.25 normal max. This relates to about 72psi.

Are you absolutely sure they are camping tyres, It should be imprinted with CP after the size, if it just says 'C' then it is standard vanco van tyre and ties in with max pressure of 69psi. There is one size in the camping range ...225/65R16 which is only C marked but does have the reserves of a CP tyre.

Jon.

Brambles - 2008-06-18 7:55 PM

Hi Rupert,

I have checked the continental data and a 225/70x15 is not listed for camping tyres. There is though in the standard van ranges.

The closest camping tyre is 225 16inch which has a pressure absolute max rating of 5.5 bar with 5.25 normal max. This relates to about 72psi.

Are you absolutely sure they are camping tyres, It should be imprinted with CP after the size, if it just says 'C' then it is standard vanco van tyre and ties in with max pressure of 69psi. There is one size in the camping range ...225/65R16 which is only C marked but does have the reserves of a CP tyre.

Jon.

Oops size should be 215x70x15cp. They are called Vancocamper and has max 69psi printed on sidewall

I have got comfused, the max pressures I gave were for the 10 ply rated 225/65R16. It seems to be an exception to the others having much higher allowable pressures. No data is given for the others which inmcludes your size which presumably is 69psi. That is less than the Michelin Agilis which is 80 psi max.

I wonder if this indicates Vanco Camping is not as strong as Michilin Agilis Camping...might be, or might just be they have rated lower as 80psi is really very rarely needed if at all unless you are extremely overloaded.

I would need to do a bit more searching for data. Maybe someone else knows. However at the end of the day I expect you are well within the rating of your tyres and the usual advice ..weigh and get pressures from manufacturers.

Jon.

Archived