Engine swap

yeti

My chum has a LHD Hymer and wants to change the engine.

His vehicle is a '82 on a Citroen and he has been offfered a turbo Fiat.

Can this be done as a straight swap or do the engine mounts etc need to be changed? Are there any other problems to be encountered?

If its an "A" class type Hymer then he'll need to lift the whole front of the vehicle off the engine and transmission, quite possibly with the front subframe so its a MAJOR job! Does your friend have access to the kind of lifting equipment required to raise the front end of a three and a half tonne motorhome about four to five feet off the ground?

Personally I wouldn't bother as its rarely worth the effort and grief involved. If you want a different engine buy a different vehicle with that engine already in it would be my advice.

D.

There's a challenge raised - can the site come up with a team? Sounds like a brilliant idea...

I'll do as I'm told, on that occasion, but no point in telling me. I don't have the engineering knowledge and background. But I can make a good cup of tea!

Thanks to those of you who stuck to the point.

The vehicle is a B544 non-turbodiesel LHD on a Citroen. He does have access to the apprpriate equipment.

Thanks so far

Btw Scrapheap Challenge team could be good idea/

Archived