French Pyrenees

judebs

Sorry I can't help with this particular route but I noted your post on "Lone Travellers" (my response is right near the bottom) and congratulate you on deciding to go it alone. I travel to France often and know some parts very well so I may be able to help with any other queries you may have.

I also travel to Spain but have not been further south than Barcelona. I have visited the Pyrenees though, mostly in a car, and some parts are very tricky with a motorhome (steep gradients, roads miles long that are one way in the morning the other way in the afternoon etc.) so I hope you are advised well. You could also approach the AA who are good at helping even if you are not a member.

Hope you have a wonderful time and do get in touch if you think I can help you in any way.

Mr. Grumpy - 2008-06-18 9:22 AM

I use the following route planner, http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

You can customize it depending on which sort of road you want to use. As it does not have a motorhome listed in the options I use the car & caravan example. There are plenty of other on line route planners out there but this one suits me.

Thanks for this link. I have just looked at it but I can't find where your options list is in order to choose caravan - I found the one for petrol or diesel.

Thanks found it now. I had only noticed that you could choose fuel, not the car! I always wondered whether the road from Mende through to Nimes would be ok for the motorhome and it indicates that it is. Someone told me years ago not to use that route.

judebs - 2008-06-18 9:16 AM

Please could someone help with the best route for a lady driver with a 1.9 diesel motorhome from Barcelona to Laruns. It is a 1st time visit to spain and france. Thanku

Do you really mean "from Barcelona to Laruns"? If so, what are you doing in Millau?

What are your criterion for a good route? Do you prefer motorways? Are you happy to pay tolls? Does it have to be the fastest or most direct route? Will you be stopping at aires or campsites?

These will help people come up with a suitable route.

Thankyou Patricia, am not travelling on own.... would love to be that brave. My partner has MS, though not badly disabled it means i am the driver. We are so looking forward to the experience, just hope the camper is up to the steep gradients.

Best Wishes

Jude

Hi judebs

Passed through Laruns coming inland from Valencia on the 16th May go for the N260/A136 from Sabinanigo which will take you over the top of Pyrenees into France ( very scenic and no lorrys except delivering to local villages ) only hold-up a tunnel was closed for work and they had built a tempory single track road around mountain side which was traffic light controlled. Becomes the D934 to Laruns.Nice aire at Artouste- Fabreges beside lake on the D934 ( right turn over bridge ).

To reach Sabinanigo from Barcelona I would get myself to Lleida (A2 will be toll free) then the N240 will take you to Huesca (campsite in town San Jorge, not used it but driven around it seems okay) then the N330 will bring you to the N260.

As you leave Sabinanigo, Camping Aurin is on your right but has little room to spare because of the permanents,22.45euros a night. Behind the factory opposite are 2 supermarkets.

I have never used this route before but next time going to Spain I shall,but not in the winter as snow poles where fixed to the side of road.

I can not comment on your engine size as mine was 3.0 but a smaller engine is fitted for a lighter load I would presume.

The steepest incline was on the temporary road 1-14 but you will be going down that.

Enjoy. bobM

Will attempt to attach a photo taken from side of road.

Archived