France or Spain?

horse444

*-) Can any-one recomend a nice site near to sea and town/village. We live very rural and like to be by the sea when we go away, in the past we have travelled thru france on motorway and headed for spain Costa Blanca or Del Sol, but this year dont want to go so far, and was thinking of South of France or 'Roses' nr L'Escala (hope thats right spelling), for park up for approx 2 weeks. Public transport not essential as we tow a car. Thanks ;-)

Hi- Would reccomend Camping Rifort at L, Estartit nicely laid out pitches with swimming pool cafe/bar and a hugh supermarket across the road. Five minuites walk into town for everything you might need. (lol)

Hi horse

We're just back from two weeks at camping paradis in L'Escala.

It's our fav, v/clean with two pools and some shaded pitches- though first-come-first-served. The land train for town stops right outside and is 2euros each way pp, and if you've ever fancied taking-up scuba diving there's a dive school on site with the friendliest instructors you'll ever meet. If you want to be right on the beach? try Narbonne-plage aire for a few days. It's 7euros per night and no electric but it's out your door and onto the sand if you can get parked on the seaward side.

Have a good trip.....nige

We stayed on Camping L'Amfora last year. It seems incredibly busy at first sight but we had a pitch the furthest away from the activities, nicely shaded and big enough two Auto-trail m/homes, my Cheyenne and a Chieftain. We had our own private shower, toilet and basin, also an outside sink. We were on the last row before the sea which was just across the playing field. Certainly not cheap but the restaurant was and it served good three-course meals for 12€. Well stocked shop, two ro three pools, other sports, internet, evening entertainment etc.

More to my taste is Las Palmeras which is nearer to Sant Pescador. Beautifully kept, spotless facilities, nice family, good restaurant, two pools, easy walk to beach etc. Not such a big site and more personal. Pitches are marked but not hedged round. Have stayed on this one for several years running but have not been there for the last two years.

Do you usually tow the car to Spain? We had one on an A-frame and went into Spain a couple of times and had no trouble but the AA warned us that the police were confiscating them. After that we unhitched in France and both drove a vehicle over the border to Las Palmeras which is not very far.

Incidentally both these sites have good websites.

:-> hi Patricia, thanks for all the information it will be realy helpfull, yes we always take car into spain, but we tow on a 'brian james' trailer, we have never had a problem getting pitch big enough to park trailer and put awning etc out, the police are strict re A frames.By the way we have a Dakota and the trailer is no problem. Thanks again (lol)

Hi Highwayman, thanks for your reply in fact we were thinking of L'Escala as we stoped there twice on our way home, last year we stayed at site next door to Las Dunes it was nice, but no pool, and wondered if Las Dunas to big???????? also we are going late August early Sept. so wondered re weather, we realy like around this area. (lol)

Horse444

These are the two sites I have stayed on that I mentioned in my earlier post. Both have pools, shops and restaurants/bars.

http://www.campinglaspalmeras.com

http://www.campingamfora.com

Las Palmeras is smaller and more intimate. Toilets and showere are impeccable. Pitches are marked and most have shade but in 2005 they were not hedged. Very well-kept and not too noisy. Entertainment in high season. We visited one year at the end of March and the pool was opened two days later - I thought he was joking at the time. However, another Easter and it was terrible storms so weather anywhere can be unpredictable. This year south of France in May it was not warm enough to swim. I have been to this site early September and the weather was really hot.

Amfora is next door (but some way away) and is much busier and noisier - good for teenagers (I have never seen so many!) but you can choose your pitch usually so you can get away from the noise. Quite a lot of pitches have their own shower rooms. There is a motorhome washing/service area but it was always in use (by cars) so we never managed to use it. As I said before meals were very reasonable and just along the road towards L'Escala is a wine outlet with very good, cheap wine sold in vracs.

Personally I have only driven passed Las Dunas but it seemed really huge to me and I know they have lots of rallies there.

Whichever site you pick it might be prudent to book especially if you want to choose a particular pitch. I think both sites have a pitch plan on their website.

On another point do you find the trailer easy to reverse and would I be able to load and hitch on my own (ask your wife if she could do it!)?

horse444 - 2008-06-19 3:35 PM

*-) Can any-one recomend a nice site near to sea and town/village. We live very rural and like to be by the sea when we go away, in the past we have travelled thru france on motorway and headed for spain Costa Blanca or Del Sol, but this year dont want to go so far, and was thinking of South of France or 'Roses' nr L'Escala (hope thats right spelling), for park up for approx 2 weeks. Public transport not essential as we tow a car. Thanks ;-)

Hi, try Aquarius camping in San Pere Pescador in the middle of bay of roses and the site is right on the beach. It is very well run and clean also the CCC has a rally there during September or you can use ACSI from i beleive 1/09/08. Have a look at there web site www.aquarius.es

The thing that may well cause the Spanish Traffico (highway Police) to give you big grief here in Spain if using an A-frame rather than pulling your car on top of a proper trailer, is that it is illegal throughout Spain to tow another vehicle with your own vehicle if the towed vehicle has any of it's wheels touching the road.

Tow ropes etc are an absolute no-no in Spain.

Only two exceptions:

1. An official "Grua" (tow-truck) can use wheel dollies to remove an illegally parked car if they can't winch it up onto the back of their flatbed.

2. If on private land (ie not on a public highway).

It is for this reason that every vehicle insurance in Spain automatically includes breakdown and recovery cover.

Anyone who breaks down just calls their insurance, who send out a Grua company (lorry with flatbed back)....and if they can't get you started they winch you onto the flatbed and transport you to a garage/home.

I'm no expert on the road law here, but as a layman I'd have thought a Policeman would regard a car being towed by A-frame rather than a carrying trailer, thus with it's wheels on the road, would be a clear breach of this long-standing Spanish road law.

Oh....and do not mess with Spanish Police. Really. Don't.

Big batons, big guns, and neither are there for show.

Do not expect the pretend subservience and sarcastic sham-politeness of British police.

When Spanish Police uphold the law, they do so vigorously.

If they tell you to do something, do not argue or give them any lip at all; just do it.

And as general advice: if pulled over, keep your hands empty and in plain view at all times, and don't make any threatening or sudden movements.

Police have been murdered here over the years in the line of duty by criminals, drugs gangs, ETA terrorists, and their understandable approach now is to shoot before you get the chance to.

I am wondering whether the law in France is the same (although they seem to accept A-frame towing with a British vehicle) because I don't recall ever seeing a car towing another in France. I have a car registered out there and my insurance includes breakdown (at home as well). Perhaps Randonneur knows.

I am also interested in your comments about the police and wonder whether this is the reason for so much high-jacking, often masquerading in police uniforms. Perhaps the thieves think that people will definitely stop if told to by a "policeman". Lots of people have advised driving to the nearest police station if anyone attempts to stop you but it would take a brave person to defy them if they are genuine police. This is why I am rather reluctant to risk travelling far in Spain on my own.

Hi Patricia, regarding loading and unloading the trailer it wasnt a problem, only the pulling of the belts(similiar to seat belts on airline) needed a little muscle, the reversing is a knack, that once mastered comes as second nature,we like every-one else at some point have taken wrong turn and landed ourself in very narrow streets, but thankfully never been stuck or had to unhitch, due to my husbands recent heart attack, I was looking at an auto mover (similiar to the ones for caravans) that can move the trailer with car on., but hasten to add, he doesnt think it necessary as he usually unloads car first and then we push trailer back no bother, but I will let you know if we purchase one and its use ;-) Thanks again for all your help with sites.

Thanks for that info and glad to hear that your husband's health problem has not interferred with your motorhoming. Years ago I used to tow a 20ft caravan and, on one particular expedition with extremely intelligent companions who patently had not mastered any map-reading skills, I had to reverse quite frequently! However, years before that when we tent camped I remember jack-knifing a very small trailer in the main street of Bodmin. So, I'm not sure that I should risk it!

Archived