Best Sat Nav for Europe

Guest Ikrainian

Hmmm . . . well I think that's finished the thread nicely.

If you'd like to ask a specific question about your satnav do so after you've sobered up and someone may try to help you.  Although bear in mind that we're not running a night school class here.

Or you could register under another new name and try again ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

And now a general warning! 

My apologies to JudgeMental, but it seems things at Garmin have recently changed.  Garmin Nuvi units were, as he says above, until recently sold with CDs/DVDs that contained both the mapping and the MapSource programme, so enabling the maps to be installed onto, and used on, a PC, and routes then uploaded to the Nuvi.

This is no longer the case.  The Current Garmin Nuvi 7xx models do not come with the MapSource programme.  All the mapping is pre-loaded on the Nuvi units, and there is no accompanying DVD/CD containing either the maps, or MapSource.  You get one licence to view the mapping on the Nuvi, and that is all.

I am advised by Garmin that anyone wanting MapSource for European use now should buy a Zumo 550 model, which still comes with the necessary DVD.  There are alternative Zumo models with different mapping options. 

This does seem a bit odd, since Zumo models are firmly aimed at bikers, while the Nuvis are aimed at car drivers.  However, that seems to reflect Garmin's view of what the market wants.

If you want the MapSource facility, therefore, you would be well advised to consult Garmin before buying, making it very clear before you buy that you want to be able to use the PC based mapping and routing facility of MapSource.

You should also be aware that versions of the mapping sold on SD and mini SD cards do not contain MapSource.  It seems versions of the mapping sold on DVD do come with MapSource, but the full European mapping on DVD seems only to be available from the USA ($149.99).  Versions on DVD are available in UK (around £50), but seem to be update versions only, requiring a MapSource product already installed on the PC before they can be fully used.

Be warned, and check very carefully that what you buy is what you actually want, and that you have everything necessary to be able to use it!

To answer the original post from Ikrainian, there is no doubt in my mind after our latest trip that Tom Tom is the best 'add on' sat nav by far.

Knocks the socks off Navman and Garmin in my opinion.

Bas

Not sure how helpful that really is, Basil.  It is an opinion obviously, but you didn't respond to the original, or any of the other, posts, and you haven't offered any comment on the pros and cons of any of the makes.

What is it that TomToms do better than Navman or Garmin units, and which TomTom/Garmin/Navman are you comparing in reaching that conclusion?

Ikrainian - 2008-06-19 3:49 PM

.......any suggestions on the best available please.

Sorry Brian I thought I was giving a straight answer to the posted question above, until now I was not happy to say which I thought was best now I have. Perhaps best not to bother in future!

Bas

Brian Kirby - 2008-07-07 3:34 PM

And now a general warning! 

My apologies to JudgeMental, but it seems things at Garmin have recently changed.  Garmin Nuvi units were, as he says above, until recently sold with CDs/DVDs that contained both the mapping and the MapSource programme, so enabling the maps to be installed onto, and used on, a PC, and routes then uploaded to the Nuvi.

This is no longer the case.  The Current Garmin Nuvi 7xx models do not come with the MapSource programme.  All the mapping is pre-loaded on the Nuvi units, and there is no accompanying DVD/CD containing either the maps, or MapSource.  You get one licence to view the mapping on the Nuvi, and that is all.

I am advised by Garmin that anyone wanting MapSource for European use now should buy a Zumo 550 model, which still comes with the necessary DVD.  There are alternative Zumo models with different mapping options. 

This does seem a bit odd, since Zumo models are firmly aimed at bikers, while the Nuvis are aimed at car drivers.  However, that seems to reflect Garmin's view of what the market wants.

If you want the MapSource facility, therefore, you would be well advised to consult Garmin before buying, making it very clear before you buy that you want to be able to use the PC based mapping and routing facility of MapSource.

You should also be aware that versions of the mapping sold on SD and mini SD cards do not contain MapSource.  It seems versions of the mapping sold on DVD do come with MapSource, but the full European mapping on DVD seems only to be available from the USA ($149.99).  Versions on DVD are available in UK (around £50), but seem to be update versions only, requiring a MapSource product already installed on the PC before they can be fully used.

Be warned, and check very carefully that what you buy is what you actually want, and that you have everything necessary to be able to use it!

Hi Brian,This is very good information, thank you.Wilbury

Basil - 2008-07-08 9:13 AM Sorry Brian I thought I was giving a straight answer to the posted question above, until now I was not happy to say which I thought was best now I have. Perhaps best not to bother in future! Bas

Not at all Basil.  All I was trying, clumsily, to say is that it is helpful to have the reasoning behind an opinion, as well as the opinion.  In other words, more Basil, not less!  :-)

Archived