saterlite setup.

sparts

Well folks i have the new van , brilliant,but i have had a couple of weeks of hell trying to get my old freeview sat setup working with my new dvb tv no signal so i am thinking of buying a sat setup that fits on the top of the van, i havent got lots of dosh left nearly skint so have seen camos dome static setup 30cm dish fitted 1299 any good in your honest opins, or an oyster vision 65 1600 fitted, or last oyster samy65 1584 pounds

Guest JudgeMental

I like the look of the other Dome system on the market, the KVH trackvision from a company called PHLY.co.uk and will probably go for it when I change the van next spring.....

But I no little regards this stuff. But perceived wisdom seem to be that the manual crank up ones offer by far the best value.

I am in the same boat Mike. Not much room for the 40cm Camos unless i dig down to Australia at home. The 30 will do me if it will cover most of Fance. I will still carry a free standing backup. The normal dish on the roof i think would be a little useless because my favourite site is windy most of the time. It is a big outlay if its as much use as a chocolate fireguard Cheers Vic-----

Terry believe me i am a dab hand at setting it up in 2 mins but since new van nudding not a sausage, evan thought lnb may be damaged but no that not prob so that why i am giving high blood pressure the elbo cos if i did not have it b4 i do now >:-(

Guest JudgeMental
sparts - 2008-06-20 7:23 PM

nudding not a sausage, evan thought lnb may be damaged but no that not prob so that why i am giving high blood pressure the elbo cos if i did not have it b4 i do now >:-(

you need to use a spell checker, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. but can't understand a word you are saying......

JudgeMental - 2008-06-20 8:31 PM

nudding not a sausage, evan thought lnb may be damaged but no that not prob so that why i am giving high blood pressure the elbo cos if i did not have it b4 i do now >:-(

you need to use a spell checker, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. but can't understand a word you are saying......

Let me translate for you Judge, I believe it is a very old dialect of which you would not be familiar seeing as you only frequent the higher levels of society .... ;-)

"Nothing, not a sausage, I even thought the LNB may be damaged, but no, that is not the problem, so that's why [i'm asking for advice about the new set-up] I am giving high blood pressure the elbow because, although I did not have it before, I do now."

Better??? :->

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2008-06-20 9:46 PM

JudgeMental - 2008-06-20 8:31 PM

Let me translate for you Judge, I believe it is a very old dialect of which you would not be familiar seeing as you only frequent the higher levels of society .... ;-)

"Nothing, not a sausage, I even thought the LNB may be damaged, but no, that is not the problem, so that's why [i'm asking for advice about the new set-up] I am giving high blood pressure the elbow because, although I did not have it before, I do now."

Better??? :->

u r a woman with hidden talent's :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Terry believe me i am a dab hand at setting it up in 2 mins but since new van nudding not a sausage, evan thought lnb may be damaged but no that not prob so that why i am giving high blood pressure the elbo cos if i did not have it b4 i do now >:-(

I got one of these sat meters (plus a compass) and it makes things much easier as it has a tone as well as a display.....

27860R — PHILEX — METER, SLX SATELLITE FINDER

and check your connections mine are always playing up as these aerial sockets are not that robust.

Hello judge yes m8 i have checked the connections again and again but all perfect and tried new cable just in case i had a break in one, i used a compasss and a sat finder, im thinking on getting the camos system as it comes with a 12v sat box as well only thing is the peeps who fit these are in pool long way but still excuse to have a few days away again, do most traveling in uk, maybe france next year if i can get some one to look after my discus tanks.

sparts - 2008-06-20 7:00 PM

Well folks i have the new van , brilliant,but i have had a couple of weeks of hell trying to get my old freeview sat setup working with my new dvb tv no signal so i am thinking of buying a sat setup that fits on the top of the van, i havent got lots of dosh left nearly skint so have seen camos dome static setup 30cm dish fitted 1299 any good in your honest opins, or an oyster vision 65 1600 fitted, or last oyster samy65 1584 pounds

Have a word with Patricia on this forum, she has just had a Camos dome fitted and tied it out in France and from her email she is very pleased with it.

Satellite setting up is a bone of contention in our house. The motorhome we have has a Teleco Crankup system installed when we bought it 18 months ago and to date we have only managed to get it working twice. We are in the process of buying a new (to us) motorhome and this one has the semi-automatic Teleco system in so goodness knows what is going to happen there.

We have a Sky minidish on a tripod and although we are able to get it setup outside at home when on site we are stumped so we bought a secondhand Multimo and again we have the same problem. I thinks its just us that can't get the b****y thing tuned in. We also have a signal meter but that doesn't seem to help. We did call on Adventure motorhomes last year when we were in the UK and he very kindly showed us how to set things up but when we got home - nothing. So its definately us and not the equipment.

Used to use the Multimo reasonably successfully when there were two of us but the last two years has driven me mad rushing back and forth to nudge the dish a bit and then checking the TV. Just once I got the right satellite immediately but more often than not I gave up.

So, I treated myself this year to the Camos 40 and its absolutely brilliant. When I get on a pitch I go back in the van for the spirit level and by then I can hear that the dome has picked up the satellite - long, long before I connect the electricity. It's a little noisy whilst searching but that is measured in seconds usually. I have the mini Sky dish and also a DVB to pick up 6 other satellites. Some of these have English speaking programmes. I have just toured down to the south coast of France Meze and Aigues Morted - picture perfect except on one site (too near trees for the Sky) where I could only use the DVB.

My daughter and husband have now had the other 40 dome fitted that works while travelling and they are over the moon. Obviously more expensive than mine but even for lone travellers could be useful to listen to English radio while driving.

I am more conscious about low trees now though - so far, so good!

PS My Multimo is for sale now!

Mine came from Roadpro too via Tim Wilson (wilsonti@gmail.com) who is recommended by Roadpro for fitting. The is another web address for him on the Roadpro site. A very pleasant and helpful guy who fitted mine and the more sophisticated one for my son-in-law. He is happy to travel anywhere for the same fee, although if you live nearer he will reduce the price.

After he'd left I thought there was a problem with the wiring of my step and thought he must have pulled a wire out or something (embarrassingly I was wrong!) and he immediately offered to come back the next day to sort it out. Fortunately I found out in time to stop a wasted journey and he just laughed.

When he was fitting it I asked what would happen if something went wrong while I was out in France and he said he would come over. I thought he was joking but he was serious - said the manufacturers would cover his costs. Would recommend him highly.

u wont have any regrets with the camos dome, a tad exspensive but i used to have a semi auto dish and it got stuck in the raised position in france last year. i was getting ready to travel to the ferry when this happened. i checked everything that i could think of to get the motor to bring the dish down but,no joy. i ended up on the roof hack sawing thru £800 pounds worth of dish to remove the thing.

it went straight in a bin on site. my only cosulation is that some peasant french farmer is now using my dish strapped to the side of his house with gaffer tape. bon chance. since i fitted my camos dome ive had no problems and self seeking is a doddle, it even gives a good signal in gale force winds, but dont pitch under huge oak trees in line with the satalite cos it aint foolproof.

brian

Glad to hear you have made the right decision, as Brian says you won't regret it. Also he is right about the trees: I parked right next to a sapling in Normandy without thinking and it stopped the Sky signal completely. Only there for one night so no matter and I could get the French on another satellite. The other point to remember is the extra height especially as you drive round a site looking for a pitch - it's easy to forget!

Archived