The Tour de France

Don Madge

This year's tour starts in Brest on Saturday 5th July and for the first time since 1967, there will be no prologue to begin the battle.

The Tour finishes in Paris on Sunday 27th July.

If you are touring France in July check the tour route or you could be in

for some long waits.

For those who have not been caught-up in the Le Tour before, the Gendarmes close a rolling section of the road some 4 hrs before the riders come through, so a long wait if you need to get somewhere.

For those who have seen it - whether planned or not - it is quite a sight,

and everything, I mean everything takes a back seat where the Tour comes through.

On some of the more popular mountain stages motorhomes are parked up 2/3 days before the tour is due.

This link will give you the full course details.

http://www.letour.fr/2008/TDF/COURSE/us/le_parcours.html

Safe travelling

Don

We've no real interest in cycling per se, but started watching the Tour when it was on Ch4 every day because we enjoyed the scenery and spotting places to go later in the summer. Then gradually started to take a bit of interest in what was going on in the race itself. Liz being tied to school hols usually excludes us from seeing it "live," but we caught the Canterbury stage last year.

This year, we're crossing on Thurs evg 24/7, intending to go to Brittany, but now I've seen the Tour dates (thanks Don!) we might try to see the Champs-Elysees final stage. Need to plan for that though - somehow I don't think we'll be able to turn up THERE in our van 3 days before!!!

Probably have to grit our teeth and shell out for a couple of nights at Maisons-Lafitte. Good site but you don't half pay for it!! And there we were hoping to pay for our fuel by sticking to Aires & France Passion this time!

I'll blame Don now for busting our holiday budget.

Tony x

I've been keen on the Tour for 40 years, one of the reasons I bought a campervan.

I followed the second 2 weeks last year including Alps and Pyrenees. Parked camper at bottom of mountains the night before, next day ride up em' on the bike to watch the action (incl. Galibier 2500m), descend to camper & drive to following days climbs. Life's for living!

This year planning to follow the full 3 weeks (except Paris Finish). But diesel prices numbing the excitement a bit. 8-)

Yep, cracked it.

After quick discussion yesterday, it emerged that SWMBO didn't fancy the hours of standing around on the Champs-E., and I didn't fancy the hassle of getting into town on THAT day from Maisons-L., even by train, so we had another look at the route of the final stage to see where else we could catch it.

After e-mailing a small (and MUCH cheaper) campsite at one of the villages en route, we're now booked in for the Sat & Sun nights, so we can see the Tour (and its "Caravane") during the last day. By then the result will be known, as by long tradition the lead doesn't change on the final day, so we're not missing anything significant by not being at the finish line.

We'll then be well placed to head West on the Monday - without going into Paris at all, which has to be a result :-D !

Tony

Tony Jones - 2008-06-23 12:57 PM

Ventoux - 2008-06-23 10:19 AM

I've been keen on the Tour for 40 years,

With a username like that? You amaze me Mike! :D

Tony

Le Tour isn't going up the Ventoux this year but I rode it anyway when passing through Provence in May :D

Well done organising your pitch on the route Tony. I spent 2 hours last night highlighting all the Aires near the first 5 Stages.

These posts courtesy of McDonalds free wi-fi Clermont Ferrand. I didn't even buy anything in here either B-)

Archived