smell in tanks

trishandtez

how do you get rid of the smell of "drains" in our motorhome?we live in it and we are afraid to use Milton to clean the tanks as we have heard that it damages the pipes and we dont want that to happen, we flush out quite regularly but the smell remains

This question came up a couple of times last year, and it was suggested orange squash in the tank helped. One of the things I do is always use the antibacterial washing up liquid, don't know if its more benefit than the others but should help.

Our Hymer has a different system so the smells don't come back into the van, but our previous van always got smells coming back, once we had emptied the tank we used to leave the out tap open when traveling and this always seemed to keep it fresher longer. Carol.

I'm with Carol on this one, we leave the waste tap open whilst travelling, having emptied first of course.

Now and again I push the hose pipe up the waste tap and give it a blast. This frees any bits and bobs and out they come, this works better for us as opposed to just whizzing gallons of water down the sink.

Of course it all depends on your vans waste tank/pipe design.

Martyn

I have used Fenwicks and was not really impressed with it. Now use Thetford Tank Refresher which works very well and very rarely do I get the "drain smell". I only pour some of this product down the sink when the small occurs so I have only ever bought one bottle of it and that was years ago. I decant some into a small drinking water bottle to carry around with me.

We empty tank, close the valve, put a couple of scoops of Lidl's own brand Vanish in each plug hole, boil a kettle of water, pour a third down each plug hole. We then run a couple of pints of cold water down each plug hole.

Drive around until the next Aire or wherever and empty.

A couple of handfulls of good old fashioned washing soda chrystals desloved in half a gallon of boiling water poured down all the drains. Let it slosh around in the tank enroute to your next site. Keep it off your hands, quite viscious stuff, takes all the oil out of your skin, but does no harm to the drains, but takes gloss off of paint. Ideal to wash paintwork before repainting, gives it a key to stick the new coat on, saves sanding and undercoating, an old seamans way of doing it. A weekly dose of Zoflora keeps it smelling nice and fresh.

• 2 weeks later...
I wipe the plates too and scrape any fat on to kitchen paper. I also use a washing-up bowl and put a small strainer in the plug hole which catches any bits of food and crumbs that I miss. Since using this strainer I have had a lot less "smell"problems.

Milton in concentrated form is corrosive to metals, though I doubt if it would do any harm to a motorhome's water system if introduced diluted and then flushed away afterwards. Conversely, I doubt if would do any good either.

The French motorcaravanner's time-honoured answer is to tip lots of household bleach down the sink/wash-basin/shower-tray plug-holes and then wash this into the waste tank. I've used this technique in the past (filling the waste tank right to overflowing with the bleach solution) and it's definitely effective. (Obviously some care is needed handling bleach and in disposing of the solution when the waste tank is emptied after treatment.)

Another idea is to put a small quantity of bacteria-killing toilet chemical in the waste tank.

Some motorhome waste-water systems will be smell-prone due to their design and, if you've got one of these and it starts to smell badly, then some drastic initial cleaning will be needed to stop this. After that, regular 'light' treatment may hold the problem at bay.

I use bleach as and when a smell occurs. A little down each plughole and then just leave it there until the tank is full, or put some water down and drive around with it for a bit, to make sure the whole of the inside of the tank gets treated. I have not had any problems from using bleach (my 'van is now 12 years old), it is cheap and effective. You just need a little care when using it neat.

Archived