Covering Solar Panels

fred22

This may sound like a daft question but here goes.

I have a Solar Panel permanently fitted to my roof.

If I use a full cover are there any precautions I should take with the panel itself. There will be no light getting to it so it will not be producing electricity but with no air circulating around it( although cover will be breathable fabric) is there a danger of condensation and mould getting into the unit? Are any covers made with "perspex windows in them" to keep the Panel working and the batteries topped up?

Cannot search forum to check if asked before

I'm not convinced that these covers actually do any good, you will end up cleaning it anyway. However you could always lay a couple of empty plastic milk bottles or the like on top of the panel first to keep the fabric away from the metalwork of the panel surround.

C.

• 4 weeks later...
Wouldn`t have thought covering it up would do it any harm, as it`s a sealed unit, it just won`t charge. Your batteries will soon charge once it`s out of hibernation though. We have a solar panel on our Talisman and it`s great. Never had to worry about the leisure batteries being topped up. (and we got 2 of `em) We also used to use a breathable cover on our old VWT3 as we didn`t tend to use it much in the winter unlike we do the Talisman, and found it very good.

Wouldn`t have thought covering it up would do it any harm, as it`s a sealed unit, it just won`t charge. Your batteries will soon charge once it`s out of hibernation though. We have a solar panel on our Talisman and it`s great. Never had to worry about the leisure batteries being topped up.(and we got 2 of `em) We also used to use a breathable cover on our old VWT3 as we didn`t tend to use it much in the winter and found it very good.

Oooops I seem to have posted this twice...it`s this damn server error I keep getting........

:-D :-D :-D

Why all this talk of putting the van into hibernation, you have spent a lot of money on your van, why put it away in the winter? Winter is on of the best times to get out there in the wide wide world.

Paul

"Happiness is no white bits"

:$ :$ :$

We also use the van all year, but we use a Protec cover in between times. I can only speak of the Protec and can assure you that there will be no mould or mildew formed due to the cover and air WILL circulate almost as if no cover was there, you just do not get the rain, snow or dirt on the van making easy to just rinse the van off when you return and replace the cover keeping your van pristine. I have actually been under the cover on the roof in a torrential downpour (don't ask!) and I remained perfectly dry and able to breathe normally, You can cover your mouth with several thicknesses of the Protec material and still breathe normally, can't explain why the rain does not penetrate though! You don't have the need to clean the van as much as if you had no cover.

By the way I believe that Protec will insert a clear panel where your Solar gizmo is so that it continues to use any available light.

Bas

Archived