romahome r40 review july MMM

handyman

Guest JudgeMental

I have been in a university mortuary (don't ask) and the cadavers look just like that.

BUT! I note other comments, and it does look like a pair of likle doggy legs underneath.....

Getting back on topic, it seems that MMM motorhome test-reports occasionally omit to state the duration of 'watertightness' warranties specifically. Recent forum discussion about Fiat/Ford/Renault warranties suggests that the data provided by MMM for base-vehicle and conversion warranties should also be viewed with a certain degree of caution. It's probably unfair to blame the reporters for inaccuracies in this area as one would expect them to obtain warranty information from whoever supplies the vehicle being tested. Unfortunately, based on my own and other forum members' research, importers and dealerships often seem to be afflicted by warranty blind-spots, particularly when it comes to base-vehicle warranty terms.

An example of an (apparent) anomaly relating to a base-vehicle warranty duration is that MMM's Romahome R40 test-report quotes 2 years, whereas the May 2008 report on a Nu Venture Motorhomes' "Nu Rio" (also built on a Citroen Dispatch platform-cab chassis) says 3 years. I also note that the Ford Transit-based Chausson Flash 03 test-report in July's MMM quotes 2 years for the base-vehicle warranty, though received wisdom is that all Transit-based motorhomes sold 'first retail' in the UK should attract a full 3-year Ford warranty.

Unlike cars, motorhomes are jig-saws and this is often reflected in their warranties' more complex terms, conditions and durations. A novice motorcaravanner might be led to believe from handyman's statement that "i'm just used to getting a 6 year warranty on my euramobil" that this is the warranty period for the complete conversion. In fact, the durations of a new Ford-based UK-sold Eura Mobil motorhome's warranties are currently 3 years for the 'chassis', 3 years for the 'furniture', 6 years for 'watertightness', 2 years for the Truma heater and 1 year for the Dometic fridge.

Really - I thought you were originally under the impression that the Ford warranty on your motorhome was 2 years duration? (And, if you haven't actually managed to get Ford to register the vehicle as having a 3 year warranty, it probably will still be set to 2 years.)

Derek Uzzell - 2008-06-28 9:23 AM

Really - I thought you were originally under the impression that the Ford warranty on your motorhome was 2 years duration? (And, if you haven't actually managed to get Ford to register the vehicle as having a 3 year warranty, it probably will still be set to 2 years.)

I have never phone ford about my warranty. I left it up to the dealer and euramobil to sort it out, which, in the end they sorted. Took to local ford dealer for warranty work, and they also told me it had a 2 year warranty, as it was sourced in germany (which i thought it would have).............but, there isnt an actual end date on the oasis report on my vin number.

I then read a thread on here where someone said there van had a full uk spec van base on a european campervan (the same as my van, full uk spec van, on a german euramobil) and thye phoned up and were finally given a 3 year warranty.

I did the same, and ford has given me a 3 year warranty

Hope this answers your question.............

Derek Uzzell - 2008-06-26 9:43 AM

There are plenty of other motorhomes with a 1-year duration conversion warranty, but, as you clearly enjoy poring over MMM test reports, I'll let you browse back through earlier MMM articles rather than identify examples for you.

I have 'poured' back over the 3 mmm's in the recycle bin and all reviewed vans had between 2 and 6 years on them. Mabye i was unlucky with the ones that were there, as there's meant to be 'plenty'

Am I crazy throwing away my mmm mags ? ;-)

I keep a rolling 4 years of MMM magazines for reference purposes but, even with your dumped stock of 3 issues, you should have noticed that the Nu Rio report in May's MMM states a 1-year duration conversion warranty (page 128) for this motorhome.

Not too sure why you are placing so much emphasis on motorhome warranty durations as a guide to quality or value for money, particularly as it's now become evident that the warranty data in MMM are often suspect. Even if you insist on using warranty lengths for comparison purposes, there seems little profit in treating the conversion warranty (which varies between 1 and 3 years) and the watertightness warranty (which can go up to 10 years) as one and the same thing - which is what you seem to want to do.

There is also the matter of the warranty terms and conditions to consider. Is it preferable to buy (say) a motorhome that has a 3-year conversion warranty and 6-year watertightness warranty, but requires 6-monthly checks to maintain those warranties (I'm not referring to Eura Mobil), or to choose instead one with 2-year/5-year conversion/watertightness warranties that only requires annual testing?

Anyway, I'm glad you were proactive in sorting out your own motorhome's Ford warranty so that it was extended to its full UK 3 years, as it's important that UK motorcaravan buyers do ensure they get what they are entitled to. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the July MMM report of a new Ford-based Chausson states its base-vehicle warranty duration as 2 years. Presumably the reporter (Dave Hurrell) didn't pull this figure from thin air, so it's probably been provided to him by the dealership (page 155) that loaned MMM the vehicle. If the selling agency is unaware of the correct warranty duration, then what hope has the inexperienced buyer?

it gets worse (or should that be better (lol) )

Finally got round to looking at julys c&cc mag, and it has also reviewed the R40.

It states the warranty to be 3 year on the base, 1 year on the motorhome, and 10 years on the grp moulding

*-)

Romahome R40 warranties:

I'm now pretty sure that the R40's 'conversion' warranty is 1-year duration. The length of the warranty on the Citroen base-vehicle may well be 3 years, but, if so, I'm not certain that this is a full 3-year manufacturer's warranty (as provided by, say, Ford on a UK-marketed Transit).

There also seems to be some sort of 10-year warranty on the GRP body-shell. Motorhome Monthly's test-report on an R40 mentions "a ten-year warranty for the complete GRP component of the vehicle providing the owner follows a few simple procedures". No clue is given as to what these "simple procedures" are, but a Romahome dealer gave me to understand that Romahomes require no obligatory damp-tests or motorhome dealership visits.

The above may seem a tad sketchy, but there are no warranty-related data on Romahome's website, nor on the company's R40 leaflet. I did e-mail Romahome asking for 'from the horse's mouth' R40 warranty details. That was last Sunday and, as I've had no reply to what (I would have thought) should have been simple-to-answer questions, and don't now anticipate getting one, I shan't bother to pursue the matter further.

Archived