Lincoln Show

Don Madge

We might go on Friday but were devastated to find it clashes this year with Waddington Air Show, which is to the south of Lincoln. I'm afraid for us, Waddington takes preference. Maybe some of you would like to come down for a day, Saturday or Sunday, I can assure you it is brilliant. Vans can get in, and parking is available all alongside the crowd line (by the runway). Maybe when the Red Arrows take off from Scampton they will give you a little taster display too. See www.waddingtonairshow.co.uk

We went to the show today, decided to take the motorhome to give it a good run and stop it sulking through having to sit on the drive looking all battered and feeling forlorn!

Got there about 9.00 am and after breakfast went into the show for 9.30 am ... then the rain came! It has rained a fair bit on the way but had brightened about 3 miles from the show so we were hopeful it would stay clear ... but not a chance! Deluge would be the most appropriate way to describe it ... several deluges to be exact, we were constantly getting 'trapped' in various stalls, vans etc and watching the puddles form. It did also have dry spells but it was very overcast for most of the morning, it brighted a bit towards lunch time and from then on we only had the odd shower with it actually getting bright and sunny and WARM, yes, well actually VERY WARM in the afternoon!!!

This was our first visit to the show. It was very quiet, in the morning there weren't many visitors there at all, it took till late morning before there were a more reasonable number of 'customers' but it seemed less people attended than would be the norm according to some of the stall holders we were talking to. Whether it was the weather, or the cost of staying at the show for the weekend, I don't know, but we also found that there weren't as many people exhibiting/selling as you would normally expect at such an event, yes I know it's not meant to be as big as the Northern, Western etc shows, as part of it is for the music. Anyone who went for th eparkhome bit would probably be quite disappointed, there were only 3 parkhomes to see 'in the flesh', one massive one at a stagering £149,000 ... or more depending on which site you had it put on anywhere up to £220,000! There was a luxury log cabin which one chap described as a glorified shed ... I wish my shed looked like that! The other was a smaller standard type parkhome. We enquired as to the ins and outs of ownership, they have a lifespan of 50-60 years, and generally you cannot expect them to appreciate in value as they actually depreciate, what appreciates is usually the land value but really you need to only buy one if you want to live on a particular site, not for an investment as the chances are strong that you will lose money if you come to sell it in the future, especially since when you do sell you then have to pay a percentage to the site as a sort of commission, we heard a figure of 5% but am not sure if this is standard. I don't think a lot of people know about this 'commission' and it would come as a nasty shock! Then there's the site fees as well. Buying a park home may allow some to sell their 'bricks and mortar' homes and release some capital for 'fun' things, but the longer term 'costs' need to be borne in mind from the outset ... sorry I'm waffling!

We had a drool round some nice vans but to be quite honest at the moment there is nothing that I would change ours for, yes it's big, but it's comfy and does us great service, fitting in all our bits and bobs and with every bit of equipment/facility etc we need. I did get my Rapido fix though - I had a look at the little 707F (the replacement model for the 709F which we used to own), it wasn't as cute as ours but it sure did bring back some happy memories! :D Sad b*gger ain't I! :$

We did try to see Clive Mott Gotobed but no-one seemed to know where the press area was and the people in the information point didn't know who Clive was either!!!! 8-) I'm shocked! I thought he was renowned in MMM/Warners circles and praised on high at every show. We thought we spotted his camper hiding behind the cattle shed but we weren't allowed out to see him, we were kept fenced in the exhibition area like wild animals, well soggy chipmunks actually. :-D

We did have a nice chat with Don Madge on the Vicarious Books stall and he promised to pass our regards on to Clive later - so there you go Clive, we did try - don't think because we didn't see you that we don't 'worship at your (probably soggy) feet' anymore! :D ;-)

I bet they're all freezing there tonight .. it came in cold and windy again as we were leaving ... they'll all be feeling like ice-cubes! Brrrrrr .... :-(

Nice round-up Mel B - thank you.

We were due to go this weekend but are recovering from a particularly nasty stomach bug and didn't fancy risking it. However, if we had gone it would not have been to camp - can't believe the prices this year!!

When it looked as though we might be recovered enough to go on Saturday and stay till Monday I had a quick look at the website - £66!!!!! No way am I paying £33 per night for show camping - and, as you know, that doesn't include the Saturday night concert tickets. I know that there is entertainment on the other nights too (and that is included) but shows like the Northern, Western etc also have entertainment included and it doesn't cost this much.

We have enjoyed Lincoln in the past but afraid it may be on its' way out.

David

Hi dl

I did'nt realise the price to be so steep, and with the diesel.. This weekend i've saved £150 excl any bits and bobs. I had planned to go but seeing the forcast and the wife wanting to take our dog and puppy, i did'nt fancy the mess.

Archived