Which European map?

kevandali

Have finally decided to head for Italy and take a recommended route (cheers catinou) that covers France, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Italy.

I intend to add as much info as poss into the sat nav but also want to buy a decent European map so I can check out the route.

Could you veterans of the road advice me on the best one to buy?

Not that bothered about great city details as long as it covers the whole route.

(might even take the route recommended by Brian, decisions decisions)

Thanks for the help

kevandali

Michelin has a 2008 road atlas of Europe for £11.99 (but check Amazon), covering Scandinavia, Iceland, Faroes, the whole of the EEC, all of the former Yugoslavia, Ukraine, Turkey (excluding Anatolia), Moldova, Belarus, and a chunk of western Russia.  The scales vary for different chunks of that selection.  However, my own preference would be for individual atlases for the countries being visited, ideally published by mapmakers based in the individual countries to be visited.  Main reason is to get the spellings of towns etc as they are locally signposted (for example, Turin is Torino in Italy) and because the local map is likely, though not guaranteed, to be more up to date and accurate than one produced elsewhere.  Clearly this involves several atlases and is more costly, but to date we have done all our navigating without sat nav, so have been entirely map dependent.

If you go to Stanfords website (Google Stanfords, they sell maps and guides) you can see the range of motoring atlases available, and can also get an online sample of the mapping they provide.  You may find some of the atlases cheaper at Amazon.  Both do very good on line sales, but check the delivery options and rates before you split your order, since the rate for the whole lot is likely to be better than two or more lots of delivery charges - if you see what I mean.

Archived