Roof lite/window popping up in wind

gadjo

Hi Y'all

we had a bit of breezey ride home on Sunday (to say the least) from Sandringham and a couple of times the big roof lite window thingy popped up especially when coming over the Humber Bridge!!!!!!

Three questions really

A, is this normal??

B, has any one got any suggestions as to how to prevent it happening again??

C, could I be doing something wrong?? (highly unlikley I know but you never know!!!)

Cheers

Is 'roof lite' your spelling or a type? if not a type then either name the roof light or van as they are not all the same. If you go to 'contol panel' and add your van type/age in 'location' then if you ask a question that might at first not seem relavent to van could actualy get an answer that applies to your van type. ( could I make a more hamfisted way of saying that?)

Unsure whether we had the same problem a week ago, started out on journey and heard thud, flap. My initial thoughts were we hadn't fully locked a cupboard. We stopped and realised it was the rooflite. On inspection we realised that one of the nuts in the bracket had come loose(out of it's groove). It was a case of pulling, pushing until the nut fitted back into it's groove(best way I can describe it). We didn't have any further problems with it. Hope this helps

regards

Karen

gadjo:

As colin rightly points out, roof-light design varies from maker to maker and/or model to model.

My own Hobby motorhome has Remis-made roof-lights that angle upwards then slide forwards. Closure involves sliding the roof-light backwards, pulling it downwards and then engaging 'clips' similar to those used on top-hinged side windows. Once the clips are engaged there's little realistic chance of the roof-light opening spontaneously.

Probably the most commonly-fitted large roof-light on motorhomes has been Dometic's Heki 2 model. This is actually intended for caravan usage and there's a recommended maximum speed-limit for it. I'm not exactly sure how it's held shut, but I don't think the method employed has the positive action of, say, the Remis product. So, if your motorhome has a Heki 2 and you've been driving fast into a strong gusty wind, then I can envisage that the thing might decide to spring open. Logically, no roof-light that's motorhome-suitable and is in good working order should open of its own accord while the vehicle is in motion.

I suggest that you check the opening/shutting operation of your roof-light to confirm there's no mechanical problem with it of the type Karen describes. If everything seems OK, then I suggest you check the roof of your motorhome to see if a spoiler (wind deflector) is fitted in front of the roof-light's leading edge. If not, then getting one fitted may well help.

thanks for the replys guys

the vans an Auto trail cheyenne 696 low bed 2008 and I think its a hieki rooflite, sorry for the lack of info still learning should of know there would be hundreds of different makes of roof lites DOH!!!.

I will have a look on the roof see whats up there but the window sort of tilts open towards the back of the van so the front bit reamins closed (does that make sense??).

it was very wind and I didnt go much above 45/50 all the way home, far too dangeruos to go any faster so i dont think my speed made any contribution really.

will keep an eye on it tho

cheers

gadjo:

I haven't got a 2008 Auto-Trail brochure but the 2007 one indicates that Dometic (Seitz) windows are used on Cheyenne models, so it's fair to assume the "Wind up Panoramic Roof Light" mentioned for Cheyennes is also a Dometic product. If it's a Dometic wind-up unit then it won't be a Heki II and is most probably a Heki III. The latter is designed with motorhomes in mind and definitely shouldn't lift of its own accord whatever the weather conditions.

It's possible (as your motorhome is obviously pretty new) that you may not be fully familiar with how the roof-light should be closed and that you just aren't shutting it completely (ie. it looks shut but ain't), or that it needs a bit more effort on the operating-handle than you've been prepared to give. Dunno if you've got operating instructions for your roof-light but, if you have, there may be something in them about this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this exact problem occurr on my new in March 08 Rapido.

Doing 60 mph on French M/way and cross wind lifted both catches with loud bang followed by breeze entering van.

This was the overcab sunroof. Big piece of clear plastic which is hinged at front and winding gear to the rear allows it to open about 5 inches. Nice in hot weather, but not to be opened when on the move.

The means of securing is by 2 L shaped latches, just like those that hold the side windows closed and locked. My asserytion is that the L shaped catches, being made of plastic, are too pliable to be secure, and stress allows them to flex out of holding parts. I wrote to Rapido on the subject, suggesting that an accident may be caused if the roof disengages and hits following traffic. Their reply was to take it up with supplier.

The supplier has been told to "look at it" , which will happen on Monday 14th.,

I think this is not a "one off" but poor design that can affect all such sunroofs that are made to open over the cab seating area.

Wingpete:

I've looked back through some of your previous postings and, although I now know that you bought your Rapido from Brownhills, took delivery on March 15 2008 and have had various small problems with it subsequently, I'm still none the wiser as to what model Rapido it is.

However, having perused a few French motorhome magazines and referred back to your earlier description of your roof-light, I'm guessing that your motorhome comes from the Rapido low-profile range called "70+" in France. These vehicles have (as the French magazines put it) an "immense sun roof" and photos show this extending from near the front 'lip' of the overcab GRP moulding right back to where the roof-line levels out.

I've a basic grasp of aerodynamics and my immediate thought after seeing the photos was that the roof-light is perfectly shaped and positioned to produce massive amounts of 'lift' when air passes rapidly over it. (Essentially, if any roof-light will seek to open itself at speed, it's going to be this one!) It's possible that the unit was produced specifically for Rapido to match the 70+'s shape and, consequently, had relatively limited testing during which the self-opening characteristic didn't show up.

I agree with your thinking that your experience is not a one-off, though it's more probably the particular design of overcab roof-light Rapido uses that's to blame rather than overcab roof-lights generally. But I'd certainly expect other Rapidos with these roof-lights to have had them spontaneously open while the motorhomes are being driven. I'm sure you'll be assessing how effective Brownhills's bodge (Sorry - "modification") has been, and you might want to check whether alterations have been made to the roof-light locking mechanism on 2009-model Rapidos.

(Incidentally (assuming your Rapido is a 70+) I notice that the French magazines say that the rear body-panel on this range of vehicles is now made from AluFiber rather than Rapido's traditional GRP. It would be interesting to know what prompted this change of material.)

What a wealth of information you have accrued Dereck.!

My model is the 7090+, Island bed version. On the 3 litre & Alko set up.

I wrote an email to Rapido in France, pointing my problem and suggesting it could lead to accidents to following vehicles, but their dismissive reply was to contact the dealer who sold it to me.

That reply and my original have been lodged with Brownhills, for future reference if needed.

Another defect mentioned by the fitter was that many lockers with certain hinges were experiencing problems with the hinges falling apart.

Mine was of another pattern, and seem good.

Why are the users still the test drivers ?

• 1 month later...
Our April 2008 Autotrail Cheyenne had a Remis rooflight and when closed the roof cannot be lifted up from inside but if not closed properly can be lifted easily. We found that the winder did not close it tightly and when using the winder it slips, making a clicking noise. No problems when driving but a worry because of security. Checked with AutoTrail who confirmed that the gearbox had failed. Now remedied by AutoTrail, a 15 minute job under warranty needing to remove 4 screws. While at AutoTrail they were changing another gearbox on a 2008 model so perhaps another problem to look out for.

Gadjo

Yes. On Tuesday 2 September I phoned Autotrail who have a help desk for technical queries and after listening to the noise on the phone they diagnosed a faulty winder gearbox. Our dealer is Brownhills and I tried to get them to order a gearbox but they have to inspect the fault and then order a part but the earliest they could look at it was 11 September when we will be in France. So I phoned Paul Howes at AutoTrail (direct line 01472 571051) he was engaged but phoned back half an hour later (Brownhills of course never phone back) and said if we could be at the factory on Wednesday 3 September between 10 and 10.30 they would do it. Arrived at the factory about 10 and they did it straight away, it took 15 minutes. The electrician also wired in a 13 amp socket that I had fitted but not connected up. It was of course a warranty item , the van is 5 months old. The staff at AutoTrail from the lady on reception to the two men who did the jobs were brilliant. What a pity dealers dont have staff like these.

I know of other people who have had repairs done at the factory but it probably depends on their workload. They did another roof light gearbox after ours.

I'd forgotten about this ... our Heki III tried to break for freedom whilst we were away (as well as our side locker!). On Heki III you have to keep winding it to secure it fully, even though it looks 'closed' as it's not fully 'closed'! It takes quite a few extra turns to fully secure it down. Whilst driving we kept hearing this odd banging sound, we thought it was something in one of the cupboard and I eventually managed to track it down when I saw the Heki lift slightly whilst we were travelling. When we stopped I tried winding it down a bit more and got another half turn on the handle, problem was that it then didn't fit into the slot where it is meant to sit ... out came the screwdriver and after a bit of faffing around, with the Heki fully closed, we removed the handle and re-sited it so that it then sat correctly in it's slot. All I can assume is that it had had some 'play' in it which we'd never noticed before and as it had been very windy and we'd been doing a bit of travelling it has made it become obvious.

Archived