Newbie looking for first motorhome - help?

Jack Dog

Hi

I'm thinking of getting my first campervan/motorhome. I compete at dog agility and I'm looking for a small van that I can manage on my own at shows.

I don't have too much to spend (about £10,000) and I'm starting to think about Toyota Hiace or a Bongo. What are the problems with a Japanese import? Can I get parts/insurance? What sort of Road tax would I expect to pay?

Can anyone think of another small van that may be useful? Romahome?

I'm based in the north west so any suggestions of dealers would be useful.

I may get chance to use the van for weekends away. Do I have to go to a recognised site or can I just camp at the side of the road?

I've got loads of questions and I'm sure I will be pestering you lot for answers

Thanks

Hi Paula, and welcome.

I can't help you much with the Japanese questions, never having owned one of those myself, but I did used to live in the north-west, and always found Todds a good place to start for anything to do with campers/motorhomes. Their website is

http://www.toddsmotorhomes.co.uk/index.asp

Take your time choosing your van, thinking carefully about how you plan to use it. If there are any motorhome shows happening near you, go and pester the life out of the various dealers and converters there.

As for where to camp, in this country it's almost obligatory to use campsites - there's a sort of "forbidden unless expressly permitted" attitude. I believe the law is a bit more tolerant in Scotland (although I've never tried it), and even in England there are plenty of pubs which will let you stay in the car park if you've had a meal there (but ask first!).

(In France it's very different, which is one reason why you'll see so much about France on here - but I don't know if they have dog shows there!)

The other way to get access to a lot of cheap overnight stops is by joining either the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravanning Club - each of them has over a thousand members-only "certificated" sites which can only take 5 units at a time.

Enjoy yourself - both in the process of choosing your van, and in the new way of life it'll open up for you.

Tony

PS Looking further down the "forums" I see that the Northern show is in September, at Pickering Showground in Yorks. If you can wait that long it may be worth a the trek over the hills.

Todds is an excellent suggestion we bought our first one from them and they were very helpful indeed, nothing too much trou ble for them.

I agree also so going to the Motorhome shows but be careful you don't pick something that you will regret later - we did!!

After realising this we bought another from the same dealer (not Todds unfortunately but you live & learn). We had loads of trouble with it until we rejected it and now have another which touch wood is beautiful and works well.

Take your time, look at everything in fact I woud suggest making a list of thing you really want in the vehicle and concentrate on those. Hopefully by doing this you should get exactly what you need and if your lucky a few added axtras.

Good luck hope you manage to get something exactly right for you.

Welcome to the forum Paula, just as a exercise look at the list at the side

column when the site comes up and you will see classified - pull it up I just did and put in Motorhome/between £8,500/£10,000- put High top and see what comes up will give you some ideas. I just pulled up a AutoSleeper Synphony 1993 with a lot of extras plus Duel Fuel for £8,500 - there are a few more listed it may give you some ideas what is out there. Carol.

Archived