Cigar lighter/auxiliary socket

A W

It shouldnt be a problem at all. You need to identify a wire which is live when the ignition is off. To do this use something like a multi meter or a 12v tester which has a sharp pin-like end to it (see photo if I did it correct)

Earth the clip end and carefully piece the wire with the sharp end until the unit lights up.This means you have found a 12v circuit which is live.

With the tester find the live wire behind the socket (ignition on) , disconect it and insolate it.

Either follow the new live wire back to a suitable connector and make a new connection to the lighter socket (after disconnecting the old one) or use a new connector which you can buy at a car assessory shop.

Make sure the new found wire is a suitable thickness (look at the old one) and to be safe, fit an in-line fuse (Tandy, Maplins, Halfords) relative to what you will be connecting to your cig-lighter socket.

Hope this helps.

tester.jpg.1276ceb383f8fc41bab420a6d8f923bb.jpg

I often wonder if converters do it to their 'vans. All my vans except the first one ( All Preloved ) were already done including the radio all on without having to switch on the key, or perhaps it was previous owners. I think it is a requirement as we use so many things plugged in and required to be left ON ie GPS Nav, mobile phone charging, music when the engine is off, etc. etc.

You would be best advised to fit a second socket wired to the leisure battery via a suitable fuse and leave the original vehicle battery supplied socket for things like Sat Nav that should be turned off when the vehicle is not being driven. This way you won,t find that your starter battery is flat because you have been watching TV all week end!

I agree with clive here, and that is what i have done run a single wire to my leasure with inline fuse rateing 10 ampi have 2 lighter inputs both were on the key so i just disconnected the live feed to one and connected my own wireing very easy

Archived