TV booster fitting

Bazhornet

Hi all,

I have a 12v tv booster for my 'van, but I have a query...

There is an aerial on the roof and a 3-pin plug socket, plus a cigar lighter socket together in my tv locker. The instructions for the booster state that it must be connected to a 12v supply. As my tv is mains operated and doesn't sit in the locker anyway, can I wire the booster to a cigar lighter fitting and power it from that socket?

Not being an expert in motorhomes or electrics in any way (although I like to dabble with both!), I don't want to be dismantling any fixtures and fittings in order to find a dedicated 12v supply.

This may also be a silly question to the intelligent ones out there, but can I utilise the 3 pin plug socket in anyway to make the fitting more permanent?

I also have a co-axial lead coming from nowhere into the locker, but it has a screw fitting on the end and the booster has a 'normal' fitting - (hi-tech speak I know!). My guess is that I can cut the end off of the lead and fit the required piece?

Or.....

Do I give it up as a bad job and pay someone else to fit it? Better still, stand up to the missus and say, "no, you can't watch the bl**dy tv!"?

Thanks in advance,

Baz

"There is an aerial on the roof and a 3-pin plug socket, plus a cigar lighter socket together in my tv locker. The instructions for the booster state that it must be connected to a 12v supply. As my tv is mains operated and doesn't sit in the locker anyway, can I wire the booster to a cigar lighter fitting and power it from that socket?"

Yes and Yes

"This may also be a silly question to the intelligent ones out there, but can I utilise the 3 pin plug socket in anyway to make the fitting more permanent?"

Sorry, you need to clarify this a bit

"I also have a co-axial lead coming from nowhere into the locker, but it has a screw fitting on the end and the booster has a 'normal' fitting - (hi-tech speak I know!). My guess is that I can cut the end off of the lead and fit the required piece?"

This may be a cable used to connect a satalite dish. Do you no where the other end is?

"Do I give it up as a bad job and pay someone else to fit it? Better still, stand up to the missus and say, "no, you can't watch the bl**dy tv!"?"

NO and no, your a braver man than me with your other suggestion(If you dont fix it it means OH comes to pub with you). With the tv you will not do any damage so just try. If it works, great.

Archived