Satellite dishes

HWO

Hi all

Am thinking of going satellite, and am looking at the Maxveiw crank-up.

I reckon that this is a reasonable compromise between a fully auto system which seems alot of £££s for a bit of telly in the evening, and me and the co-pilot falling out as I assemble the bits on a portable kit.

I have watched a Maxveiw video on the caravan channel and their man seems to say that it's a piece of cake to use. any expieriece out there plse.

Also whats it like to fit yourself? after all its only a hole in the roof of the van :'(

Seriously is it a job for a reasonable DIY er. If anybody out there has the fitting instructions that I could some how look at I would be eternally grateful.

Finally any thought's on the reliabillity of it

Thanks in anticipation

Too complicated for me, it just has to stay in the drawer and I stick with the old fashioned indoor aerial, if that doesn't work I put the old medieval directional up on the ladder. Sats don't like trees being in the way either. It might just be simple minded me, but to me it is a lot hassle for very little gain. Just one of my friends swears by sats, but two others bought them and keep them in a locker and don't bother with them. Over to you HWO and see what you think??? Don't be too disappinted when you see how tricky they are to set up!!!

Too complicated for me, it just has to stay in the drawer and I stick with the old fashioned indoor aerial, if that doesn't work I put the old medieval directional up on the ladder. Sats don't like trees being in the way either. It might just be simple minded me, but to me it is a lot hassle for very little gain. Just one of my friends swears by sats, but two others bought them and keep them in a locker and don't bother with them. Over to you HWO and see what you think??? Don't be too disappinted when you see how tricky they are to set up!!!

HWO - 2008-07-06 4:31 PM Hi all Am thinking of going satellite, and am looking at the Maxveiw crank-up. I reckon that this is a reasonable compromise between a fully auto system which seems alot of £££s for a bit of telly in the evening, and me and the co-pilot falling out as I assemble the bits on a portable kit. I have watched a Maxveiw video on the caravan channel and their man seems to say that it's a piece of cake to use. any expieriece out there plse. Also whats it like to fit yourself? after all its only a hole in the roof of the van :'( Seriously is it a job for a reasonable DIY er. If anybody out there has the fitting instructions that I could some how look at I would be eternally grateful. Finally any thought's on the reliabillity of it Thanks in anticipation

One thing that you'll learn about forums like this is that if you ask a question about something like satellite TV, up will pop someone who'll say something like: "Why do you want TV? I read a good book or enjoy the scenery." It's best just to ignore them I find. Plus of course some people never leave Britain, so whilst it's OK for them to mess around with an old fashioned aerial it's a bit of a waste of time in France or Germany for instance.

I have been this route (crank-up dish) and found it frustrating. Some days I would find the satellite quickly and easily and and others it was very time-consuming. Things like a slight slope on the 'van can make a difference. The worst thing is when there are a few trees and you never know if it's the trees or the fact that you're not lining up the dish properly, so you spend ages messing around trying to locate the satellite when it may simply be blocked.

This year I bit the bullet and had an automatic Camos dome fitted. It is brilliant! It locks on to the satellite in seconds and if it can't lock on then you know that there's no signal, so you can move if you have the option.

It worked perfectly this year as far south as Biarritz and being able to keep up with news whilst away for several weeks is essential for me. I use it with a Maxview 12v digibox, which now gets channels 1 to 4 plus lots of other free channels. The advantage of this box is that, if Astra 2 isn't available because of trees for instance, I can often locate another satellite and still get BBC and Sky news.

Auto domes are expensive but for me it's worth every penny and the other advantage is that, when there's a strong wind you can still use it, which you can't do with a dish, where you risk it being damaged.

I too found the Camos dome fabulous and well worth the expense. If it is switched on it has found the satellite before I have finished parking the m/home. I was the other side of France in May by Aigues-Mortes and Avignon and had no problems even on sites with lots of trees. On one site in Normandy however I was really close to a very small tree and I could only get the French satellite not Sky. The only downside so far has been that automatic toll-booths have charged me as classe 3, and once as classe 4, instead of classe 2. I am still arguing with them about that.

Guest peter
I've got the Kathrein crank up flat dish and it's very good. Easy to install via a hole in the wardrobe roof and bolted to the wall. Also from Roadpro.

The Maxview is easy to install DIY. Check the inside and the roof of the van for obsticles. eg dividers, light fittings etc. There must be sufficient room on the roof for the dish to pivot through 360 degrees. The mounting plate can be glued and sealed to the roof using SIKAFLEX.

You have to make two holes. One for the dish mechanism and maybe one to get the cable through. The "crankup" comes with a junction box for the cable which has to be run through into the van for connection to the receiver. You may not have to use this box if there is already a waterproof junction box on the roof for solar panel connections.

There were fitting instructions available on the Maxview website. Once fitted it is simple to use using a compass, especially if your receiver has a built-in sat finder.

On the internet "crankups" are available for around £350 upwards. The £1000 saved on an automatic system is one good reason for using this manual system.

The Maxview receiver has a built in sat finder. It is programmed for Astra and a number of other satellites, so there is lots of choice. It does not take a Sky card. It comes with a remote control eye which can be placed outside of a cupboard whilst the receiver is concealed in a closed cupboard.

This receiver is also badge engineered through other outlets and may be cheaper but they come without the remote control eye.

For DIY bear in mind the old saying "Measure or check twice, before doing any cutting.

Hi John

thanks for the info. I tried to find the fitting instructions before but had no luck. Been on the Maxveiw website again and got them this time. Up on the roof in a minute to see if I have room around the roof lights etc that is already up there.

Cheers.

Archived