Discounts on Ferry Crossings

kmoorman

As a first time Motorhome holidayer, I was interested in there are any ways to get discounts on ferry travel; be it membership of the Caravan Club or other. We're off to Ireland in August, and before I book it, I thought I'd just ask.

Cheers

Kieron.

Guest JudgeMental
Problem with "club" booking can be if you need to amend or cancel for any reason. Always best to shop around and try and book directly. Try moving the timings either way on any date, this can make a great difference to price....

Hello Kieron, IMHO you won't find any hard and fast rule for getting the cheapest, or discounted crossings.

We've never found a definitive "pattern" to best prices. An example I'll give you was of a few years ago we were paying, (reluctantly), £300+ for a crossing, we kept hanging on and on, putting it off and then lo & behold the company, (P&O), suddenly discounted it to £150 for about 4-5 days.

This year we were quoted £70 for a crossing, but couldn't book due to work uncertainties. 24 hrs later when we could book, it'd gone to £77.

Happy Camping

Martyn

Well, we're being quoted about £320 for Pembroke to Rosslare (return), and the price is the same for all outlets for that route.

I'm loathed to leave it too late, as I don't want to end up without a crossing, with it being in August (so very busy).

I'll leave it a few days and check the prices again.

Thanks for the advice.

Kieron

kmoorman - 2008-07-07 1:02 PM

As a first time Motorhome holidayer, I was interested in there are any ways to get discounts on ferry travel; be it membership of the Caravan Club or other. We're off to Ireland in August, and before I book it, I thought I'd just ask.

Cheers

Kieron.

Not sure about Ireland but plenty of good buys for Europe. We always go Sea France Dover Calais and buy six trips at a time. This works out at £32 a trip for our motorhome with very few restrictions, you can alter bookings and even pass a couple to other members of family with no penalties.

We have used Motorhome Ticket Club in the past but beware they charge a big admin fee to make amendments (from memory £25). Using C&CC this time who also charge for changes/cancellations but at a much cheaper rate. We've also had MTC booked tickets and simply changed travel times at the port, sometimes being charged as little as £5. It depends if you're changing to a different (more expensive) crossing. I've even heard of people not being charged to change.

Ike

Archived