Cooked Leisure Battery

kevandali

Hi All

Bit of a technical question

My leisure battery which measures 350mm Length 175mm Width and 180mm in Height has given up the ghost.

It is a 110 amphere leisure battery but I am struggling to get the same battery with the same dimentions as it fits in a neat box under the floor of the camper with a flush cover that matches the flooring.

My question is, does anyone know where I can get one?

and

I am thinking of buying two so that I can connect them in series (storing one in side locker) to give me a bit longer when wild camping. If connecting two batteries would I still need each to be 110 amphere or could I drop the amphere down a bit?

Any help appreciated, at the moment, all the batteries I have found are about 240mm in height and will not fit in.

Hi mate I have the same kind of problem in that mine fit under the driver/pass seats.

I got 2 110amp from www.kernowrat.co.uk

the ones I got are 110ah UK Giant low body sealed leisure they have been in since feb and no problems yet.

You could also try www.tayna.co.uk and have a look at Elcosol batts they do low body ones also.

In answer to your second Q yes you can lower the amperage but if you are thinking of adding a second battery for longer use of site then why bother. More is better.

Hope you get sorted

Pete

Battery make is UK Giant Bat679, that's all the information on it.

When you say connect in series, I take that as to mean that I run an extra pair of leads from battery stored under floor to my new one to be which will be in corner of storage locker. Negative to negative and also positive to positive.

Cheers for the help, will keep looking.

kevandali - 2008-07-07 7:41 PM

Battery make is UK Giant Bat679, that's all the information on it.

When you say connect in series, I take that as to mean that I run an extra pair of leads from battery stored under floor to my new one to be which will be in corner of storage locker. Negative to negative and also positive to positive.

Cheers for the help, will keep looking.

Hi kev, that is parallel connection not series. Series connection would be negative of one battery connected to the van chassis, positive of that battery connected to negative of the next battery and the positive of that battery connected to the electrical circuits.

Parallel is neg to neg pos to pos.

D.

not found any yet but what size cable to connect to other battery? tried local stores but not yet found one that will fit.

Just found one that will fit but only 10mm gap when the floor cover is replaced, instead of 180 in height it is 230.

Would a ten mil gap be ok or do I need more for ventilation purposes?

cheers

kevandalli

Just to bring the post to an end, a local shop in the area "wheels and things" New Ollerton Nottinghamshire" (worth a mention) supplied two 110 amphere leisure batteries plus all the cable and connections needed to install the second battery for £120 which I thought was great.

Brownhills quoted £160 plus just for one battery (lol)

So, all sorted and fitted, just got to cross fingers and hope all charges ok?

Thanks for all the help

Archived