Left Hand or Right Hand Drive?

dave

Further to my other message on chassis types, where I got some really useful information (thanks once again to all who replied), a further question, this time relating to whether it is best to have left hand or right hand drive if you expect to spend a lot of time on the continent in your motorhome. I don't want to confuse the question too much (by mentioning, for example, that we might in the early stages of our motorhoming spending six months back in the UK working to fund our trips!) so will keep it as simple as I can. As far as I can see, we would be justified in having either drive configuration as there would be enough time in either the UK or Europe to make it fine either way (I do realise that buying a LHD would probably be cheaper, but then servicing and resale in the UK would probably be easier). What I am really concerned about is the actual driving experience itself. Unfortunately, I have never driven a right hand drive car on the continent so can't judge how difficult it might be. I have, however, been driven in a left hand drive car by a mad French colleague in the UK and that was scary! As far as my limited experience in left hand drive cars on the continent is concerned, while I found it fine after a few days, I never felt comfortable with the thought of an emergency situation, as I reckoned I would react as a 'right hand drive' driver and do the wrong thing with possibly disastrous consequences. Things would presumably be even worse in a 3.5 tonne motorhome?! I understand that driving a RHD van on the continent should be a lot easier than a car as one is much higher above the road and can therefore see a lot more. Thus the RHD would perhaps be the best compromise from a pure driving point of view, no matter how long we spent in Europe? I would be delighted for any help the forum members can give me.

It all depends! We do more miles with the camper in the continent than at home but its a UK RHD. The resale value is more in the UK (but that was not a consideration as by the time I sell it the difference will be very small). I also drive other RHD vehicles on the continent and have never had a problem. Always my wife is alongside as my eyes to the left, she has an HGV 1 so I have to trust her! (would you argue with her?) But whatever you do it will always be a compromise, not just which side is the steering but also which side the lights dip etc. We have a good rear facing camera system with the monitor mounted directly above the inside rear view mirror, that helps greatly. I believe its very much up to the individual to set their priorities. e.g. if you were going to purchase on the continent, then later part exchange for another on the continent then perhaps this would lead you towards LHD. But if you part EX this way will be giving away some of the savings you made purchasing on the continent initially. Basically we saw it, liked it, they were hapy to build a semi-special so we said yes. So its up to you! Good luck

Totally agree with Clive - Same thoughts when we bought - Resale value not a consideration We also do more miles (km) on the continent than In Uk My main consideration was that i have driven for 50 years in a RHD vehicle & also drive our sons RHD car so I didnt want to learn a new layout As an ex van driver I have had to get used to manouvering to look to the left, so that now has become part of my normal driving. My wife deosnt drive but I do trust her explicitly (she used to be a rcing cyclist so has good road sense) If in doubt about the speed of approaching vehicles she will err on the side of safety Pam is also an excellent map reader - hence navigator - she can take you over our local fells with no map and not get lost even in mist On a recent holiday in Holland we were often told (in fun) that our steering wheel was on the worng side, and asked how we managed - most of the people were worrying about coming to the Uk with a LHD MH As you leave the docks there are arrows to indicate the correct side of the road - once out of the docks you just follow the other vehicles roundabouts are no bother as you are normally channeled in to the correct lanes The end choice is up to you Dave Good Luck whatever you choose Goede Reis

Guest David Powell
Hi Dave...I had a L.H.D. for a couple of years, by the time I got used to cautiosly changing gear with the right hand, I got used to the steering wheel, hand brake, and mirrors being in a different place. It soon all clicks into place, and after a while you will wonder why you ever worried about it.

Having owned a LHD sports car in the UK for a while, I found it a bit of a pain. But I think much depends on how high the driver's seat is: at the height of a typuical motorhome you should be able to see over the cars in front, so no need to see round them.

I've driven R/H on the continent over many years with a VW T4 & T5, both for work and pleasure. I much prefer it. I'm a slower driver. In the UK I'm constantly looking rearwards not to hold up others. On the continent this view is more limited and I find it much less stressfull. It is a hazard when overtaking on minor roads so I often stay behind out of the way. There are two areas when its very easy. No traffic and lots of traffic. And like in the UK where one allows a foreign plated vehicle extra space, I always judge that they will do the same, like in Roselare Belgium recently I indicated to go the wrong along a one way street, all were very polite and moved over !! And don't forget to wave a thankyou. But do your home work well and avoid another error by driving into a tram station the wrong way !! Or following a bus in Austria right into the depot. All good fun. 'B....' foreigners.

Guest Ian Stewart
My two-pence worth. I too do more miles on the Continent than in the UK and, again, future trade-in value wasn't a consideration. Having towed a caravan on the continent for 20 years with RHD cars (without any major problems), and LHD hire cars whilst on holiday and business, I intentionally went for a LHD motorhome (not a new one!) and intend, when it comes to changing it, to stay with LHD.

Hi you will soon get used to whatever you decide on be it LHD or RHD for driving in Europe or beyond. But a couple of serious tips to bear in mind: 1. Be very careful on roundabouts it is all too easy to go the wrong way around very easy!! 2. Never ever, ever park on the wrong side of the road i.e. facing traffic, as your natural instinct when getting back in the vehicle, even after only a short while, is to drive off on the wrong side especially if there is no traffic coming towards you. I know a very good truck driving friend of mine died when he did just that after parking for the night in a layby on the wrong side of a road. Hope this helps and sorry to be so morbid but be careful please. Regards Pat

Guest Brian Kirby
Driving a LHD motorhome in UK is generally not problemmatic, you sit higher than the general traffic, so have a better view ahead. Ours is Fiat based, the excellent mirrors are electrically adjustable and can be set to give a reasonable view from the UK offside (passenger's) mirror. On two lane roads, therefore, on those rare occasions when you can overtake, no real problems. Motorways and dual carriageways are, of course, correspondingly easier. The only problem I found with LHD in UK, is judging just where that offside mirror is in relationship to oncoming traffic on narrow roads. Local bus/truck drivers seem to get it down to the proverbial fag paper, and just press on - but they're sitting right by their mirror. With LHD, the angle of view to the UK offside mirror means you have to turn your head to see it properly, and the resulting angle of view makes judging tight clearances that bit more tricky. You just need a bit more time to line things up, meaning you need to slow more than otherwise to be comfortable. Wider roads / dual carriageways etc are OK. I imagine much the same would be true for RHD on narrow roads in Europe. It actually took me longer to adjust to the Fiat cab layout than to LHD - gear lever in the centre, handbrake by the door - instead of both in the centre. Yes, you do try changing gear with the door handles for a day or two, and applying the handbrake with the seat swivel, but repetition is a wonderful teacher! If you're used to driving on the right in Europe, the LHD vehicle doesn't really seem any different. It is much easier in most traffic conditions, as you have the same view and layout as everyone else, the more so at roundabouts, where lanes merge and motorway access lanes etc. It is also easier to spot the overtaking vehicle. This always seems more difficult in Europe as the tendency is to come right up behind you at speed - dual carriageway or two lane road - and only pull out at the last minute. Very much more easy to miss with RHD, when you can't monitor the offside rear from the corner of your eye. It's not starkly clearcut, RHD bad LHD good, but overall, if you're going to do most of your mileage outside UK, I think LHD makes life just that bit easier and more relaxing. The last point on driving is that we are probably more familiar with the roads/places we drive around in UK, so the LHD vehicle is the only real drawback you face at home. Outside UK, however, you are more likely to be on roads and in places you do not know, having to navigate and interpret sometimes unfamiliar signs as well as adjust to different customs and practices. It is under these conditions that I think having the steering wheel on the left really pays off. However, each to his own, say I. Why not try a hire in Europe before you decide? Finally, if you do eventually decide upon a LHD chassis you'll almost certainly be looking at an import, which should prove cheaper - even from a UK importer - than a RHD chassis. If you buy abroad, you may also find that a wider choice of engines / layouts is available. Hope this helps Brian

Both current and previous motorhomes were/are LHD by choice. Simple answer is: - much easier and SAFER on the continent: remember the French kill 2.5 times as many as we do on the roads for much the same population - and other continental countries are little better - driving LHD in the UK is a doddle: you can easily overtake on motorways and dcs, and, since overtaking is not possible on single carriageways wherever the steering wheel is thanks to UK traffic densities, you give up nothing.

Thanks everybody for your help - all very much appreciated. In many ways it has been comforting to know that probably whichever way we go would be OK. I will certainly be taking Brian's advice and hiring (an LHD) on the continent for probably a month - not least for the reason that we have to ensure that we'd be compatible being in a confined space for an extended period! I also intend to take our car over to France for a few weeks to see how we both manage driving a RHD in a LHD country. En ten slotte, dank u wel naar Piet voor het goede begeren(?).

Guest Derek Uzzell
I don't think anyone has mentioned spares. If you have a problem with a RHD vehicle in the UK there's a sporting chance any spare part needed to repair it will be very quickly available. Similarly with an LHD vehicle breaking down in a 'right hand traffic' country. Potential problems arise if a part needed is LHD or RHD specific and you're in the 'wrong' zone at the time - steering racks, outside mirrors, lights are obvious examples. Dave: Hiring an LHD motorhome on the Continent is an excellent plan. Having driven many thousands of miles abroad in RHD vehicles I saw no reason why I shouldn't make the transition to an LHD motorhome instantly and seamlessly. This turned out not to be so. After 2800 Continental miles and 700 in the UK I'm now a lot better than I was when I'm driving the motorhome abroad but still not wonderfully competent in the UK. Anyway, if you discover at the start of your trial run that you have difficulty positioning the vehicle accurately on the road, you are definitely not alone.

Guest Brian Kirby
The spares issue is an excellent point. Our local Fiat garage seems not to have any problems getting LHD Fiat bits in UK. Seems Fiat UK do keep a number of LHD spares so, for example my new mirror (Portugese road sign - don't ask!) they reckon will take three days. Mind I only ordered it Friday so "proof of the pud" etc. I suspect that availability of RHD spares in EUrope may not be so good, however. Anyone know? Interesting about driving LHD in UK. I am having the same problem as Derek. I think it is partially due the our comparitively narrow roads and high traffis densities. At least that is what I keep telling myself! It does seem much more difficult that I expected, but others don't seem to experience the problem. I wonder if where you live makes a differnece? We are in Sussex, and most of our roads now seem to have very dense roadside vegitation that has not been cut back from the edge of the carriageway. Thus you are a bit chary of brushing against it, because the leaves hide *^%*^% great cut back branches and tree trunks. This leaves you a bit high on the centre of the road, where the trucks do seem to get very close. However, on balance, I still think the advantages of LHD in Europe outweigh the disadvantages at home and , like Derek, I think I'm getting better! I suspect you may find LHD easier than driving on the right, so the trip in the car is a good idea. I've been driving on the right for so long now I sort of switch right and left brain halves once we're off the ferry. Works well but confuses the navigator. She says turn right and I turn left! Well, its the same manouvre you see - that one where you cross the opposite lane. No? Well, think of it as a reversed UK right turn. Funy thing, the brain. The biggest danger is the second day. You think you've cracked it, get confident, and then get it all wrong! Also, watch out if you miss a turning, and turn to go back. So easy to reverse neatly into a side street, and then exit onto the left of the road. Don't worry though, it all comes with time. It's just a matter of repetition until the mind is drilled to react correctly. Even as pedestrians we have the same problem, just crossing the road. Always looking right first, aren't we, till we nearly get flattened and wake up! However, that's half the fun and we humans have endless resiliance, don't we?

Wow - lots of more food for thought. The spares bit makes a lot of sense, Derek, and also the eventual 'familiarity' bit from Brian (which would probably take away some of the fears I have of reacting as a RHD-type driver in a LHD-type emergency situation!). As we would likely be spending much more time driving on the continent maybe the LHD option would be better. And - while we love Sussex - I doubt we would be spending too much time on backwoods roads so your bush problem wouldn't worry us. Now to have a think about whether its better to buy a LHD here in the UK or on the continent. I've already contributed to Ruth's thread about this so won't overstay my welcome on this one! Many thanks again to everyone - all the advice has been really appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had my LHD Fiat now for 2 years at first it was a bit nerve racking on narrower roads when faced with a large lorry or bus coming towards you. I found that a quick glance in the lower offside mirror at the rear wheel told me just how much inside the road markings I was compared to the oncoming vehicles position.Apart from trying to change gear with the nearside door handle in the early days you soon get used to it. Its harder now to drive RHD and not keep clipping the hedge!!!!

Archived