Cross Channel Crossing Flexibility

catinou

Following some seriously good information on this site, as usual, we purchased a batch of 10 frequent traveller tickets earlier this year for the Channel tunnel. For the last 2 years we have been "caught" in the trap of trying / having to change ferry crossings - and being charged handsomely for the privilege.

We "tested" the Eurotunnel train with our MH last month, just for a weekend and stayed in the Auchan car park at St Martin Boulogne for one night and the second night at a service station on the way back to Calais. We managed a great look round the area for a couple of days and, apart from shopping of course, we saved on diesel by filling up at Auchan and the total cost for the tunnel trip was 2 x £39 for using 2 of our pre-purchased tickes, plus £9 each way because we took the MH - total £96 return. Not too prohibitive for a great weekend away. B-)

We decided we "needed" more shopping last Saturday - looked at going to Lincoln show but decided we could be back in France again quicker -so got on the computer that morning and booked the 16.20 out and 01.25 back the next day (using the car), leaving plenty of time for supermarket run and meal before heading home in the early hours! First hiccup was a 30 minute holdup on the M25 >:-) , meaning we were 4 minutes late booking in - no problem, we were given the choice at self check in of which of the following trains we wanted to travel on - no extra charge. We went 30 minutes after ticket booked.

As we had completed our shopping and meal by 10 pm we travelled back to Calais, getting to the tunnel about 10.30pm and were offered the choice of a trip at 11.45 (extra charge of £20 for travelling at "peak times") or on the next train at 01.25, which we had booked - chose the latter. An announcement as we finished a cup of coffee at the terminal had us rushing back to the car at 11.25 as we were advised by an announcement that all drivers should proceed to the train immediately. - caught the 11.45 after all - no charge!(lol)

We were so pleased with our journey home that we changed the return time on our booking made for September to the 01.25 - no traffic on the M25 to speak of after midnight (compared to midday anyway)

Sorry to carry on a bit, but we are pleased to report that the system worked for us! :->

Guest JudgeMental

It is our first year on the frequent traveller scheme of 10 trip's as well and it works very well.....

For an overnight trip it is best to book a separate journey and save your £96 return for a longer period. Eurotunnel's "Our Day/Overnight Fare" works out at £56 return. So you can go out in the morning stay overnight and return the next evening and thats with a camper......

your browser on login may not show this choice, as it defaults to your frequent traveler login. But if you look at fare types available it is there. So you would just need to call to book.

Wow! Thanks Judge! That means even more "shopping" visits.

Meant to mention we have booked for August / September for 15 day trip with MH and Smart car (on A frame with brake buddy - I know....) and although my husband asked if we could book as 2 seperate vehicles on same trip using 2 tickets out and 2 tickets back we were told he would have to be in both vehicles at the same time as the tickets are in his name! :-S

This meant adding £39 each way for our "trailer" as well as the £18 return supplement for taking the MH. Still better for us at a total of £178, compared to last year on Sea France as times are better and crossing much shorter and comfortable. :-)

Also more flexible if you want to change times at no cost.

Thanks again Judge - goes to prove how useful this site is.

Jenny B-)

I'm jealous of you people close enough to hop over to France for a short break. From Devon it takes 5-6 hours to Dover.

Seafrance do a frequent user carnet of six tickets. You only have to book the time of the first crossing and you can turn up when you please after that and will probably be put on the next available ferry. OUr next door neighbour has a motorhome and a house in France so finds it very useful. I also believe that you can give away two of the tickets.

Guest JudgeMental
Yes, I can be at tunnel in less then 1.5 hours. Then 1.20 hours to EuraMobil dealer near Brugge... and be at Brugge Aire in the afternoon. Have a blinding night out in Brugge and do some shopping in Calais the next day before returning. On an Eurotunnel "overnight" at £56 :-D

Minstrel - 2008-07-10 12:47 PM

I'm jealous of you people close enough to hop over to France for a short break. From Devon it takes 5-6 hours to Dover.

Seafrance do a frequent user carnet of six tickets. You only have to book the time of the first crossing and you can turn up when you please after that and will probably be put on the next available ferry. OUr next door neighbour has a motorhome and a house in France so finds it very useful. I also believe that you can give away two of the tickets.

I use this and find it is better than the tunnel. It takes a little longer to cross but unless you are just going for the day makes little differance. I consider it is better because it is cheaper and has fewer restrictions. the only time you will pay extra is weekends in August and some bank holidays, even here some are not extra, I always go across on Boxing day and this costs no more. Yes, you can pass two crossings on if you wish. The tunnel has far to many times on all days when you have to pay extra and as I rarely know what day or time I will be returning to UK is no good for me.

Guest JudgeMental

I prefer the tunnel for lots of reasons. speed/convenience and safety for a start. plus it is relatively unaffected by disputes, bad weather, peak time traffic jams etc....

if you have children and can only travel peak times I believe it works out cheaper then by boat. As the additional tariffs for peak times are by the date not by the time.... So for us it works much better then the ferries as we tend to travel after 4.30 pm.

Obviously if flexible and can travel outside peak, boat probably cheaper but have been delayed many times on boat *-)

JudgeMental - 2008-07-10 5:25 PM

I prefer the tunnel for lots of reasons. speed/convenience and safety for a start. plus it is relatively unaffected by disputes, bad weather, peak time traffic jams etc....

if you have children and can only travel peak times I believe it works out cheaper then by boat. As the additional tariffs for peak times are by the date not by the time.... So for us it works much better then the ferries as we tend to travel after 4.30 pm.

Obviously if flexible and can travel outside peak, boat probably cheaper but have been delayed many times on boat *-)

Agree with a couple of your points Judge but not sure what you mean if you travel outside peak time. August is peak time but on Sea France deal you can travel any time or dates in August except weekend. Even if you have to travel at weekend, and am sure most with motorhomes do not, then addition is £20 so still good. Last year I arrived at ferry to be told sailings were off, a strike I think, and was given a free ticket to transfer to tunnel. Also you can purchase only six journeys instead of the ten for tunnel. You say tunnel times are by date not time, when I looked you were certainly restricted by time, it was the main thing that put me off, perhaps things have changed will have to look again.

Guest JudgeMental
little-jack - 2008-07-10 6:26 PM

I've used Eurotunnel for several years but never heard of these frequent traveller tickets. \can you tell me how to apply for them and roughly what conditions of use are?

Thanks

little jack

just go on web site...conditions are very flexible, I often change mine at no cost. You can miss your alloted space and travel on next available - that flexible. also book one way and call when you are returning. Basically you are treated very well.

Rupert, when I looked at this at beginning of the year going out at easter,witsun and on the Friday schools break in July and back in August, I was hit for the £30 (at that time) supplement. this is because they go by specific days. where on the same days with Eurotunnel if I go out early or after 4.30 pm no extra charge except the £9 motorhome one which you pay anyway.....

and yes if you travel between 7.00 and 4.30 the cost is much more....the knack is to go outside these times or during the week.

JudgeMental - 2008-07-10 8:14 PM

little-jack - 2008-07-10 6:26 PM

I've used Eurotunnel for several years but never heard of these frequent traveller tickets. \can you tell me how to apply for them and roughly what conditions of use are?

Thanks

little jack

just go on web site...conditions are very flexible, I often change mine at no cost. You can miss your alloted space and travel on next available - that flexible. also book one way and call when you are returning. Basically you are treated very well.

Rupert, when I looked at this at beginning of the year going out at easter,witsun and on the Friday schools break in July and back in August, I was hit for the £30 (at that time) supplement. this is because they go by specific days. where on the same days with Eurotunnel if I go out early or after 4.30 pm no extra charge except the £9 motorhome one which you pay anyway.....

and yes if you travel between 7.00 and 4.30 the cost is much more....the knack is to go outside these times or during the week.

OK Judge I understand your point and indeed if you have to travel at peak bank holiday times you do pay a supplement, it is £25 now. However these peak times are only, for 2008, two days in March, 8 days in May, 2 days in July and all Fridays and Saturdays in August, easy to avoid for me. However if you book ten crossings even with supplement it is only £54 a crossing, at all other times £29 a crossing and this is price for a motorhome up to 6.5 mtrs no supplement. Each to his own I guess we all get the deal that suits as individuals.

Archived