Gas bottles in Europe (revisited)

sailor girl

There have been lots of discussions on here about the best ways to have gas abroad, and it seems that most people recommend the refillable system. However, I've just been reading the thread about how this can cause problems with fridges and can be a danger - in a very small number of cases I'm sure, but nevertheless it's put me off a bit! The van is brand new, we're both highly non-technical and I really don't want to run the risk of having problems with 'dirty' gas. (As well as the fact that I understand that places to refill in Spain are quite thin on the ground.)

We have space in our van for two big (13k) bottles, so if we leave the country with two full calors I'm sure this will last a good while, especially if we're on sites with hook up, which I imagine we will be a lot of the time, and I'm wondering if we might as well stick with the set up we've got. Our plan is to be abroad for a year and if we have to get new bottle in each country, I don't mind that so much. My question, though, is - can you get large bottles on the continent? Particularly in Spain as I imagine we'll be there for a good few months. Or do they only sell it in those titchy tiny teeny weeny bottles? And if so, does anyone have any idea as to how long one of those will last if you're cooking on a gas barbie pretty much every day, possibly running the fridge here and there when we're not on hook up and making lots of cups of tea throughout the day?

Thank you :-)

liz

Hi Liz, I wouldn't worry too much about some of the comments in 'the other' thread, Autogas is no more 'dirty' than any other LPG despite what some may say. Think about it logically if Autogas was 'dirty' then LPG powered vehicles would be continually breaking down, fact is they burn cleaner and more efficiently than normal cars. Propane is Propane and it is all produced and cleaned in the same way, it is stored the same way in big tanks and it is pumped the same way into cylinders. It is obviously possible to get a contaminated batch, in the same way as there was a problem with petrol a while back, but it happens at the Calor refilling depots as well I know this for fact so you could just as easily get problems with expensive ordinary cylinders.

Go the refillable route and end any worries about getting gas supplies, thats my opinion with four years of experience of being heavy users of Autogas LPG and having no problems whatsoever only benefits, we are well in profit now every fill is just so convinient and cost effective.

Bas

PS we use on average around 1Kg per day so if you look how much is contained in a cylinder that gives you a rough idea of our usage i.e. a Camping Gaz 907 would last us about 2.5 days and at £18.95 per refill that makes a Gaslow system really viable!

sailor girl - 2008-07-11 5:15 PM

Or do they only sell it in those titchy tiny teeny weeny bottles? And if so, does anyone have any idea as to how long one of those will last if you're cooking on a gas barbie pretty much every day, possibly running the fridge here and there when we're not on hook up and making lots of cups of tea throughout the day?

liz

By "titchy tiny teeny weeny bottles", I imagine you mean the Camping Gaz range. When we have had to resort to these we have found that the largest in the range - 2¾kgs - lasts about 10 days when we don't use the heating. This is cooking in the 'van most days. Using a gas BBQ would probably reduce this a day or so.

sailor girl - 2008-07-11 5:15 PM

Or do they only sell it in those titchy tiny teeny weeny bottles? And if so, does anyone have any idea as to how long one of those will last if you're cooking on a gas barbie pretty much every day, possibly running the fridge here and there when we're not on hook up and making lots of cups of tea throughout the day?

liz

By "titchy tiny teeny weeny bottles", I imagine you mean the Camping Gaz range. When we have had to resort to these we have found that the largest in the range - 2¾kgs - lasts about 10 days when we don't use the heating. This is cooking in the 'van most days. Using a gas BBQ would probably reduce this a day or so.

Hi

I carry 2x13kg Cepza Aluminium cylinders as I live in Spain with hook up on most sites 1 cylinder lasts us 4 weeks.

Yes you can get cylinders in Spain but it's not simple you need to be a resident with an NIE number you also need a certificate to say that your Autocaravana has been inspected and is safe armed with all this you need to find a Cepza main agent for your first 2 bottles(about 60 euros each?) after that you can change them 13 euros each at many garages.

It is easier to get 1 bottle say it's for a BBQ and you should be OK however you still need an NIE number a resident could get you one??

You will sometimes see cylindres at boot fairs if you do all well and good there is no formalities when exchanging.

Hope this helps

Colin

Archived