Vignettes

DonB

Good game!  I'll start the ball rolling:

Czech Republic (sticker), Hungary (complex electronic system), Slovenia (only since 1/7/08), Slovakia (sticker), Switzerland (sticker), Austria (sticker, with additional charge on some passes).

France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Croatia, Poland, Norway, and Greece all charge tolls.

Bulgaria, Belarus, Romania, and Ukraine, also charge: I think by toll and not by vignette.

The rest, so far as I know are generally toll free, except for some tunnels, bridges etc.

I have no information for the Balkans South of Croatia.

I'm sorry fellow users, What is a vignette? I know whast it means outside of the caravanning world BUT....?
DonB - 2008-07-15 3:54 PM Does anybody know of a list of all the countries in Europe, not just the EU, that require a vignette for motorways for motorhomes up to 3500 kg? The situation seems to be changing all the time!

Thanks Brian,

Didn't know about Hungary, wasn't sure about Czech republic. We'll be heading eastwards later this year and had heard about Slovenia, so thought we'd check with all you experts!!

Hi,

A 7 day vignette for the Czech republic was 220CZK (about £7) in June this year for a less than 3.5ton motorhome. We bought one at the Esso filling station just over the border - paid in Euros at a poor exchange rate of 1 EUR = 23.5CZK. It's a sticker similar to the Austrian one.

For Hungary it's called an E-Matrica and is just a printed receipt from a fuel station. We paid 2550HUF (about £8.50) for a 9 day one. You have to keep the matrica printout for one year. Apparently they use number plate recognition cameras on the motorways and may send you a letter and you have to send a copy of the matrica to prove you had a valid one.

We also found that in Austria and the Czech Republic, police with handheld radar still hide behind parked vans and trees with no advanced warning.

A car behind us was caught just after a level crossing with no gates or lights just a STOP sign (there are many of those still) - so make sure you actually STOP completely before crossing.

Also there are now no passport controls between these countries (and Slovakia which we visited for ten minutes after taking a wrong turning!) - just slow down as you drive through.

Steve

Archived