Another fuel Con!

libby

I heard yesterday that there is a possiblity of implementing a new form of fuel duty rate; which I believe would be far more effective and perhaps even appease us in times of rising fuel costs!

The principle it appears is based on a floating 'duty rate'. When oil prices are high / increasing, the duty rate per litre would drop to mitigate the rise. The principle would be reversed if the cost of oil were to decrease - i.e the duty rate per litre would rise.

Obviously there are some rough edges to iron out in the proposal; namely at what rates do you set the upper and lower limits of the float, and also at what price increase / decrease would the change come into effect ($10, $20?).

Overall, I think a change to this method of taxation in the fuel industry would end up being well received I am sure, and appear to offer a 'fairer' form of taxation.

What do you all think?

GJH - 2008-07-16 10:58 PM Come on people, thinking heads on. Brian is absolutely right. The government intended adding 2p (2.35p when the VAT is added) to the fuel tax in October and now is not going to do so. If they had not made that decision the cost of a litre would have risen by 2.35p in October - whether the general (supplier imposed) price is falling or rising by then or not. Now it will not rise by that 2.35p. Goodness knows I don't think much of this government but let's please be logical. Graham

Phew!  Thanks Graham, I was beginning to think it was only me,....... well and Dave of course!

catinou - 2008-07-17 10:10 AM Just "read the small print" in todays papers - the 2p increase has only been put off until next April, so it's still waiting round the corner for us!!>:-( Being cynical, anything to do with events in Glasgow????? *-)

But what you all seem to have missed is something, I think, called the fuel tax escalator.  This is the "green" tax, intended to increase the tax on fuel progressively, year on year.  That, if I remember, is the conservative tax Graham is referring to above.  All that has happened at present is that this year's instalment has been shelved.  So, of course, next year's, and the year's after that, and so on ad infinitum, are still in the pipeline.  Is it only me who reads these things in the papers, or have I got it all wrong (again!)?

As I understood it the Tories have floated this idea of fuel tax floating inversely with fuel costs. Mind you they can come up with lots of "wonderful ideas" while they are not the governing party, which ones do you think they'll implement if they got back in?

As for the fuel tax escalator, that was instigated by John Major's government but I thought Gordon put a stop to it years back, maybe its me that's got it all wrong :-S , again!

D.

Guest peter
Tony Jones - 2008-07-17 8:46 AM

I return to a point I've made on an earlier thread.

If the environment is the "big issue," then it would be better if as much as possible of the cost of motoring was mileage-related rather than time/ownership-related.

At present, the annual/monthy "fixed costs" of keeping a roadworthy car on the street provide real incentive to use it as much as possible.

So if I ruled the world, I'd:

1) scrap road tax and the various "purchase" taxes completely, and take ALL motoring tax through the fuel duty.

2) encourage (forcefully!) insurers to offer "per mile" policies instead of "per annum" ones (with premium corrections in arrears so you don't have to guess how much driving you're GOING to do - otherwise people would over-estimate, then "use up" the balance unnecessarily!).

3) encourgage garages to come up with mileage-based contracts for servicing (for a monthly payment based on mileage, they'd cover routine servicing and MoT, plus predictable replacements (eg tyres, brakes, clutch). The photocopier industry has done something like this for decades.

4) Even depreciation could become more mile-related if dealers routinely offered guaranteed buy-back deals, with the buy-back price based on mileage.

Of course the govt and the various businesses would have to publish their calculations, so we could be reassured these changes wouldn't be just another rip-off.

In the end this whole shift would mean that the cost of HAVING a vehicle would be much reduced (which would benefit all those who have to have one but don't need it very often), but the cost of each JOURNEY taken would be higher, which would provide incentive to use other means where these are available (which would help the whole oil situation, as well as the environmental issue).

Should I stand for election? Would you vote for me?

Tony

So! Basically, buy a car and don't use it. Great idea. (not).

davenewell@home - 2008-07-17 9:19 PM ................. As for the fuel tax escalator, that was instigated by John Major's government but I thought Gordon put a stop to it years back, maybe its me that's got it all wrong :-S , again! D.

On reflection, Dave, I think you're right.  GB abolished it under Blair because it was an automatic increase.  He then initiated a non-automatic annual increase intended to raise the cost of fuel above the rate of inflation.  It is that increase that was announced in the April budget, then I think deferred, and now abandoned for this year.

The intention, by both main parties, is to raise fuel tax to persuade us to use less of the stuff.  This is justified by seeking to meet the twin objectives of slowing climate change and reducing our dependence on imported fuel, most of which comes from unstable regimes around the world.  If one doesn't get you the other will, so forget all notions of fuel prices falling for any more than brief periods.  The stuff is going to continue to get more expensive, increasingly so as years pass and, in my opinion, there is no realistic chance of governments of whatever hue reducing fuel tax.  Choose your next car/motorhome with great care, folks!

Brian Kirby - 2008-07-17 10:30 PM
davenewell@home - 2008-07-17 9:19 PM ................. As for the fuel tax escalator, that was instigated by John Major's government but I thought Gordon put a stop to it years back, maybe its me that's got it all wrong :-S , again! D.

On reflection, Dave, I think you're right. GB abolished it under Blair because it was an automatic increase. He then initiated a non-automatic annual increase intended to raise the cost of fuel above the rate of inflation. It is that increase that was announced in the April budget, then I think deferred, and now abandoned for this year.

The intention, by both main parties, is to raise fuel tax to persuade us to use less of the stuff. This is justified by seeking to meet the twin objectives of slowing climate change and reducing our dependence on imported fuel, most of which comes from unstable regimes around the world. If one doesn't get you the other will, so forget all notions of fuel prices falling for any more than brief periods. The stuff is going to continue to get more expensive, increasingly so as years pass and, in my opinion, there is no realistic chance of governments of whatever hue reducing fuel tax. Choose your next car/motorhome with great care, folks!

I concur ;-) .D.

el-d - 2008-07-17 11:48 PM

Believe me Twooks, if enough of us went out and bought a horse-drawn caravan, mysteriously there would also appear a horse-and-caravan tax!

wow - you're almost as cynical as me :D :D :D

B-)

Archived