Taxation class.

cookie

Our Geist has just had it's first MOT, at which point we realised it was incorrectly taxed. It is classed in the 'log book' as PLG. As it's weight is 4.6tonne it should be HLG, which means we have been paying too much road tax since we bought it new. I assume it also means that if we were pulled up by the boys in blue it would show up incorrectly on their computers.There are few details of any kind and no weight details in the 'log book'. ( I cannot remember what they call them nowadays). I admit full responsibilty for not noticing it earlier, but really blame the dealers we bought it from for not registering it properly in the first place, but as they did not notice a flat tyre and a hole in the ceiling I am not really suprised.

I have contacted the DVLA and after pressing the wrong buttons and holding on for ages, I managed to speak to a gentleman who said that I had to get it weighed , fill in a form V70 and take the whole lot to the local (not really) dvla office, so I could prove that we had altered the weight of the vehicle. He would not accept that this is the weight of a Mercedes 416 Sprinter and said we must have changed it!!!! Would anyone know if we need to take everything off the vehicle before it is weighed, and does it sound correct that we need to go down this road to get the taxation details changed. The man I spoke to was very unhelpfull and talked to me as if I was a 2 year old.

Any help would be apprecaited.

I havea similar quandry with 3 of our vehicles. Never paid much attention before, did query it once with dvla and was told that it was down to how the manufacturer had done the original documentation and not to worrry. Was looking at the preposed rises in vehicle tax and rang the dvla again and was told to contact VOSA.

We have minibuses and all three are different but all have a 2.5 td engine, 2 are swb and 1 is lwb all under the 3500 rating

1 with 7 seats is classed lgv

1 with 8 seats is classed plg

1 with 9 seats is classed dc 1. This is our newest vehicle

all are purpose built. The DC 1 got me rang to find out what class it was and was told Diesel Car explained it was a minibus factory built and was told to contact VOSA.

So looking at figures given 1 is going to stay a similar price with nominal rises, 1 is going to be 400+ and the other I have no idea at present but asume it will be at the same or similar rate for a plg.

Guess its a case of VOSA here we come.

So it might be VOSA you need to contact and they will probably tell you all you need to know about how to rectify your taxation class.

cookie - 2008-07-17 5:55 PM Our Geist has just had it's first MOT, at which point we realised it was incorrectly taxed. It is classed in the 'log book' as PLG. As it's weight is 4.6tonne it should be HLG, which means we have been paying too much road tax since we bought it new. I assume it also means that if we were pulled up by the boys in blue it would show up incorrectly on their computers.There are few details of any kind and no weight details in the 'log book'. ( I cannot remember what they call them nowadays). I admit full responsibilty for not noticing it earlier, but really blame the dealers we bought it from for not registering it properly in the first place, but as they did not notice a flat tyre and a hole in the ceiling I am not really suprised. I have contacted the DVLA and after pressing the wrong buttons and holding on for ages, I managed to speak to a gentleman who said that I had to get it weighed , fill in a form V70 and take the whole lot to the local (not really) dvla office, so I could prove that we had altered the weight of the vehicle. He would not accept that this is the weight of a Mercedes 416 Sprinter and said we must have changed it!!!! Would anyone know if we need to take everything off the vehicle before it is weighed, and does it sound correct that we need to go down this road to get the taxation details changed. The man I spoke to was very unhelpfull and talked to me as if I was a 2 year old. Any help would be apprecaited.

The document is now called a Registration Certificate, it is Form V5C.

The correct classification is PHG (sometimes PHGV, or Private HGV).  You do not need to get it weighed, it is the MAM that governs the LG or HG classification.  P stands for private, which is why it is the prefix in both cases.  The document I think you want comes from the DVLA, entitled "Notes about Taxation Classes".  It is their document V355/1, and the information about Private HGV is on page 5.  It may have been updated since my copy, so don't take my word for it, but check with DVLA and ask them to send you a copy.

You complete section 7 of your V5C in respect of the change required (make sure you take, and keep, a copy of the V5C showing the required alteration), and post the original back to DVLA.  You will find field Y of section 7 is for a change to the Taxation Class.  Take a photo of the rating plate on your vehicle - the plate that shows the VIN, and the MAM, maximum Gross Train weight, and individual axle maxima, usually in just four numbered boxes on the plate (5 boxes is your's has a tag axle) - and attach that to the V5C, with a letter explaining that an error was made on initial registration, which you have just noticed, and post it all to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.  Make, and keep, copies of everything.

They will send you back a corrected V5C, probably after a couple of weeks, which is why you need to take, and keep, a copy (apart from if they lose it!).  You can't take the vehicle out of the country in the meantime.

cookie:

Brian's advice is sound. However, if there is a DVLA local office close to you, it might be preferable for you to visit it with the requisite paperwork rather than post the forms, photos, etc. to Swansea. There shouldn't be difficulties correcting the VED class, but, if you use a DVLA local office, they will be able to vet the documentation you've got, tell you if anything else is needed and offer informed advice. If you send the stuff to Swansea and there are any problems with it, the likelihood is that they will just send it back rather than deal with it.

As your motorhome is just 3 years old, it's quite possible that Geist (or LMC) will have provided a Type Approval Certificate of Conformity (CofC) with the vehicle. The CofC will include the motorhome's correct weight details and should remove any need to provide photos of the VIN plate.

Archived