Motorhome Insurance

starvin marvin

I'm about to change my vehicle insurance from Comfort (Norwich Union) to MCIA (NIG I think or could be AIG perhaps, can't read my own writing!), for a £60 saving.

Anybody used MCIA? Whats their customer service like? They use Europe Assist for the breakdown cover are these any good?

Comfort have been ok over the 9 years I've been with them, but I did get some duff information on the RAC breakdown contact telephone number from them. Which I had to sort out myself on a Saturday afternoon on a French autoroute! not to be recommended.

Your comments positive or not would be welcomed, many thanks.

used MCIA for many years - found them helpful - but - never had a claim and didn't use their breakdown deal

used Comfort briefly - I know a lot of people rate them but I personally found them expensive and ?? arrogant ?? condescending ?? perhaps - did take out their breakdown and found their instructions extremely confusing and attitude when asked to clarify was unhelpful - don't know whether or not it was 'duff' because I didn't have to use it

again - didn't have a claim

Europ Assist seems to get a reasonable write up.

We've now opted for full personal RAC membership, for UK and Europe, only ever had to call them out in the UK

B-)

Hi starvin,

We have used MCIA (NIG) for the car only and I have to say when it was needed they were there most curteous and helpfull returning the car and hiring the curtousey car to us .

Can not say for the Motorhome as we use Safegard whilst I appreciate that you are not asking about them again will just add that they have been fantastic also especially when broken down in France .

Normal policy is apparently to ask the driver if they can make it to an appointed garage . When we explained we had special needs children they went out of their way to have it fixed on site and sent the guy to the camp site.

A few weeks ago I phoned to add a friend on the policy as we were supposed to be having a 5 girly weekend away from the lads. Best to have another driver just incase you never know .

Alas this did not happen as we had a death in the family ,again safegard were excellent turns out the friend I added has full rights the same as us if and when I lend it to her she can be repatriated with the camper back to England or towed in Europe . Most policys dont allow for any other than the actuall owners to have this privilidge ..

Hopefully that helps, it may make you change your mind about whom you choose . What ever you choose choose well .

We have been with comfort for the last 11 years and always found the staff very helpful.

Used the RAC breakdown service last March in Portugal with no problems. Rang on Sunday about 5 pm and breakdown truck was there at the promised time, can't do any better than that.

Was with MCIA before comfort but there were two many restrictions on Green Card cover and length of time on the continent.

Don

We have unfortunately had to make a claim on our insurance as our camper was attacked in Holland. We were able to do a bit of a patch up job and get home a few days later but it will need 2 new nearside windows and some body repair work etc. When we contacted Safeguard, our insurers, they referred us to their 'claims' company, ie the underwriters, who expected us to sort everything out - where to take it and get quotes, not like a car insurance at all. As we've never had to claim before on our motorhome insurance we don't know if this is the norm but it might be a question you could ask of them. Eventually a chap at the underwriter's clalims office took pity on us and tried to help but I don't think that it is normal practice.

We are currently waiting for the windows to be delivered from Italy so once they are here and the work is done we'll be able to let you know how well it all went from start to finish but that could be a while yet.

I had the same problem with Safeguard. 3rd party admitted liablility straight away and even had a claim number for me to submit. It still took them 10 months to sort out what was really a minor claim. as total damage was only £450. Every time I rang Safeguard they told me it was nothing to do with them as they only do UK claims (Claim was in Morocco) and told me to ring a different number. On every call I had to go through all the details ie date, location, date submit etc really frustrating and annoying. Anyway when it came to renewal I decided to change to Comfort. How good are they well who knows? Reckon you only really find out if your unfortunate enough to have to make a claim.

Brian

Quote from MelB "When we contacted Safeguard, our insurers, they referred us to their 'claims' company, ie the underwriters, who expected us to sort everything out - where to take it and get quotes, not like a car insurance at all."

This appears to be the norm. Friends had a serious damage accident in Europe a few months ago. Repairs have just been authorised.

The insurers expected them to find a suitable repairer in the UK (advert in MMM) and chase quotes etc.

The breakdown cover would provide another MH to continue their holiday. However, they had to collect it from the MH depot and return it there. It could not be left at Calais. Not convenient.

The most thorough and efficient part of this incident was the emergency services in France.

We have been with MCIA for 6 years now - they have consistently been the cheapest despite giving lifetime protected no claims bonus and unlimited mileage. They don't insist on 'Thatcham 1 or 2' or 'Tracker' thingies either. Their legal protection was better than a lot and you got 12 months continent cover (not that we needed it).

Its nice dealing with a real person on the end of the phone with none of these answer machines 'Press 1 for ???, Press 2 forsomething else'. They also speak english as their original language! They have always been helpful in explaining things too.

Having said all this, we have never had a claim so don't know how this would be.

We do not use their breakdown service either. We are members of RAC and by being members of the Camping and Caravanning Club we automatically get the 'Arrival' breakdown cover for our motorhome with no restrictions on height, length or weight. RAC cover myself and husband in any vehicle we are travelling in whether as a driver or passenger so for one fee we have cover in any vehicle we are travelling. RAC also give you discount if you do not use them in the predeeding year - a sort of no claims bonus.

Hope this helps.

Archived