roller blind/fly screen repair/replacement

Guest Ikrainian

Guest Ikrainian

Hi All

One of the blinds on our Mclouis is getting the worse for wear. The webbing that acts as a fly screen is getting worn making it difficult to retract..........we are off into Europe again in a couple of weeks and need to be able to open the window but also keep the flys out.......you get the idea! I've emailed the dealers but they can't see fit to answer so they won't be getting my hard earned.Does anybody know of a place that repairs them or where i can buy new...I have looked on the internet but to no avail, apart from a few odd ones on ebay that are the wrong size........can anybody help?

Not sure what you are saying here Ikrainian.

What do you mean by 'webbing'? What make are the windows, are they Seitz cassette type? Are they roller blinds that pull down from the top, one in front of the other?

Bas

Guest Ikrainian

Hi Bas

Sorry i didn't answer you , i have accidentally posted the same post twice.....through ignorance....from what others have said i assume they are the seitz type because they are a cassette type..i have been given a site address and am currently following that up........thanks for your input. :->

I've got a problem with one of my windows, it's a Seitz S5 (stamped in top rt corner). The white 'pleat' works ok, but the pull down spring return fly screen has lost tension and will not return. I've looked at the tech drwgs on leisurespares but on mine there appears to be a tensioned wire / string on both sides of the blind. These wires on not indicated on the tech. drwgs.

Anybody got any thoughts ?

regards

Allen

Hi no problem I saw you have got some good replies on your other thread, I hope you are able to sort it out.

wints - 2008-07-19 6:53 PM

I've got a problem with one of my windows, it's a Seitz S5 (stamped in top rt corner). The white 'pleat' works ok, but the pull down spring return fly screen has lost tension and will not return. I've looked at the tech drwgs on leisurespares but on mine there appears to be a tensioned wire / string on both sides of the blind. These wires on not indicated on the tech. drwgs.

Anybody got any thoughts ?

regards

Allen

Don't know anything about the pleated blinds Allen perhapsnow this is back up the top someone may be able to advise.

Good luck.

Bas

Dunno if this will help (as our old dog of a MH is a Eura Mobil on the Peugeot J5 chasis, and is 17 years young now), but.....

On our several of our "cassette" type windows the fly screens would not retract, or were very temperamental about retracting, when we got the MH.

The way I fixed it was simply to use WD40....the spray can has the long plastic "straw" on it; I fed that up into the top corners of each cassette (where you can see that the screens roll up on spindles), and gave each corner a quick burst of spray. Then pulled the screens right down, and did the same again into the top corners........

Also sprayed a little down the runners on each side, then used flat-ended screwdriver with a cloth over it's end to gently run up and down the guides, clearing the crud/dust from the guides.

Another quick spray once clean to lubricate the guides afterwards.

Result......fantastic!

Smooth operation, and auto-retract working fine once again.

I did the same for the blackout blinds (which on our MH come up from the bottom of the cassette, and can be clipped to the flyscreen blind at the top).....same result.

Maybe for newer posh MH's this solution might be a bit primative, and the spray might stain your blinds(?), but certainly on ours it worked a treat.

:-D

wints:

I think the taut wires/strings on both sides of the your blinds are just 'guides' for the pleated sections and the fly-screens probably use the traditional tensioned-by-spring technology employed on common-or-garden roller-blinds.

(Anyway, that's the case with my Remis-made blinds.)

Derek:

possibly correct, but if I'm reading the leisurespares tech drwgs correctly it

looks like the outer window frame is bonded to the van wall, and the inner frame is then screwed to the outer and 'clamped' to the inner wall of the van. To get to the tension spring looks like a lot of dismantling. I've re-tensioned remis blinds, fairly easy task. This looks a little more daunting.

regards

Allen

Allen:

Yes, I'm sure that's right. In fact, there's a section in John Wickersham's "Build your own Motorcaravan" book on how to fit a Seitz S4/S5 window and the procedure matches your description.

As far as I can make out, there's no way of getting at Seitz S4/S5 blind mechanisms without first removing the inner frame complete with blind and fly-screen. Obviously this will 'de-clamp' the outer part of the window-unit with the potential risk that (assuming that the window doesn't actually fall off the side of the vehicle!) the bond to the motorhome's bodywork may no longer be effective in preventing water ingress.

Carried out this job on many occasions, both on previous caravans and on motorhomes, I do it on two of our current windows annually to wash the flyscreens as they get quite dirty but only on one side when you have them down constantly with open sliding windows. Its very easy if you can turn a screwdriver or use an electric one as I do the cassette installation is the same for the ordinary blind type as it is for the pleated type. The inside portion is only attatched by the screws under the caps and literally falls away when you undo them. The exterior stays in place held by the existing sealant, but try to avoid putting pressure on the outer portion as you remove and replace the screws. There has been no effect whatsoever on the sealing as the outside remains in position. The operational 'workings' of the blinds are inside the inner portion of the cassette and therefore are easy to take to a workbench or table to work on them.

All in all a very easy job just time consuming undoing all the screws.

Bas

P.S. The hardest part is removing the screw covers without damaging them, I use a Stanly knife and slightly push the blade into the side of the cap.

wints - 2008-07-24 3:04 PM

Derek, I'm off to the library to see if they've got that book.

Bas, if it's that easy I'll get the wife to do it !

regards

Allen

If she can wield a screwdriver she will have no problem! Meanwhile you can sit down have a beer and watch and learn!! :-D :-D :-D

It really IS that easy.

Bas

Got the inner section off, 6 screws both top & bottom, and 3 screws each side. Then took off a tiny plastic bracket held on with 2 tiny screws. This bracket is on the flattened end of the spindle which runs through the blind.

It also controls the spring adjustment. I had to put the bracket over this end and wind the spring up. This was hard to do, and the bracket went flying round the van a few times as I tried to re-fit the blind assembly. May be there's a better way ?

There's also a nylon 'bolt rope' that locks the top end of the fly screen material into the spindle. This had partially worked its way out and was contributing to the screen being a bit loose.

It works a lot better now, but not perfect. Are they ever ?

regards

Allen

Hi Allen, Yes you are right, the internal assembly sounds as if it is similar to the standard roller blind, that is the main thing I did not know as ours are standard type not pleated. It is a bit of a fiddle getting the roller out and getting the tension right on the spring is a bit hit and miss. The first one I did took about three reassembles before I got it right but now it's normally first time as you get used to the correct tension before you reassemble it to the window. Might be worth redoing it to get it right.

Bas

Archived